Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:20 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [290]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [28]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 801 [26]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [3]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Although various eighteenth and nineteenth-century American poets had [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
vibhaj wrote:
Although various eighteenth and nineteenth-century American poets had professed an interest in Native American poetry and had pretended to imitate Native American forms in their own works, until almost 1900,scholars and critics did not begin seriously to study traditional Native American poetry in native languages.

(A) until almost 1900,scholars and critics did not begin seriously to study

(B) until almost 1900 scholars and critics had not begun seriously studying

(C) not until almost 1900 were scholars and critics to begin seriously to study

(D) it was not almost until 1900 when scholars and critics began to seriously study

(E) it was not until almost 1900 that scholars and critics seriously began studying

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of the crucial part of the sentence is that scholars and critics did not seriously begin studying traditional Native American poetry in native languages until almost 1900.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Tenses + Grammatical Construction + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• Information that is crucial to the core meaning of the sentence can never be placed between commas.
• If a sentence contains multiple past actions, the past perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “had”) is used to refer to all but the most recent action; the simple past tense is used to refer to the most recent action.

A: This answer choice incorrectly places information vital to the core meaning of the sentence - at what point in time did scholars and critics seriously begin studying traditional Native American poetry in native languages - between two commas; remember, information that is crucial to the core meaning of the sentence can never be placed between commas.

B: This answer choice incorrectly uses the past perfect tense verb "had...begun" to refer to the latest of multiple actions that concluded in the past - eighteenth and nineteenth-century American poets professing an interest in Native American poetry and pretending to imitate Native American forms in their own works, and scholars and critics beginning to seriously study traditional Native American poetry in native languages; remember, if a sentence contains multiple past actions, the past perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “had”) is used to refer to all but the most recent action; the simple past tense is used to refer to the most recent action.

C: This answer choice uses the indirect and needlessly wordy phrase "were scholars and critics to begin seriously to study", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

D: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "not almost until 1900"; the construction of this phrase leads to an incoherent meaning; the intended meaning is that scholars and critics did not seriously begin studying traditional Native American poetry in native languages until almost 1900. Further, Option D uses the split infinitive "to + adverb ("seriously" in this case) + base form of verb ("study" in this case)", rendering it awkward and needlessly indirect.

E: Correct. This answer choice uses the phrase "not until almost 1900", conveying the intended meaning - that scholars and critics did not seriously begin studying traditional Native American poetry in native languages until almost 1900. Further, Option E correctly uses the simple past tense verb "began" to refer to the latest of multiple actions that concluded in the past - eighteenth and nineteenth-century American poets professing an interest in Native American poetry and pretending to imitate Native American forms in their own works, and scholars and critics beginning to seriously study traditional Native American poetry in native languages. Additionally, Option E avoids the grammatical construction error seen in Option A, as it places no information between commas. Besides, Option E is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

Hence, E is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Past Perfect Tense" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

To understand the concept of 'Extra Information Between Commas" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31890 [9]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: Although various eighteenth and nineteenth-century American poets had [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
since the nonunderlined portion starts with although, the 2nd part should give contrast.. so only D n E remain....
until almost should be the correct usage so E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [6]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Product management/entrepreneurship
Schools:UCLA (R1 interview-WL), UNC(R2--interview-ding) Oxford(R2-Admit), Kelley (R2- Admit $$), McCombs(R2)
GMAT 2: 700  Q48  V38
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: SE - 1
WE 2: Engineer - 3
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
These are the only genuine contenders

(D) it was not almost until 1900 when scholars and
critics began to seriously study < changes the meaning>
(E) it was not until almost 1900 that scholars and
critics seriously began studying <bingo>
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 836 [8]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
tracyyahoo wrote:
3. Although various eighteenth- and nineteenth-century American poets had professed an interest in Native American poetry and had pretended to imitate Native American forms in their own works, until almost 1900 scholars and critics did not begin seriously to study traditional Native American poetry in native languages.

a) until almost 1900, scholars and critics did not begin seriously to study
b) until almost 1900 scholars and critics had not begun seriously studying
c) not until almost 1900 were scholars and critics to begin seriously to study
d) it was not almost until 1900 when scholars and critics began to seriously study
e) it was not until almost 1900 that scholars and critics seriously began studying

why C is not correct?

I can explain Why B,C, D are wrong but can anyone please explain why A is wrong?

Original sentence is , Although poets had professed x and had pretended Y, until almost 1900, scholars and critics did not begin study Z in native languages.
I don't know why A is wrong, Excuse me for that.
For B, the meaning of the sentence will be "until almost 1900 scholars and critics" means scholars and critics were 1900 in number, Wrong.
For C, it is saying "1900 were scholars and critics", how could a year (1900) be student and critics.
For D, almost is adjective and until is preposition so adjective should touch noun. so correct structure is until almost 1900.
To see this we can take below examples.
I kept my book on wood table. Here "Wood" is adjective and "on" is preposition.Now if I will change order
I kept my book wood on table. -----------------> Wrong.
For E, Until almost 1900 correct but don't know why we need "that"

Can someone please explain logic behind A.

I hope my explanation helped, If indeed please give me Kudos.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 538 [7]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Kudos
rphardu wrote:
tracyyahoo wrote:
3. Although various eighteenth- and nineteenth-century American poets had professed an interest in Native American poetry and had pretended to imitate Native American forms in their own works, until almost 1900 scholars and critics did not begin seriously to study traditional Native American poetry in native languages.

a) until almost 1900, scholars and critics did not begin seriously to study
b) until almost 1900 scholars and critics had not begun seriously studying
c) not until almost 1900 were scholars and critics to begin seriously to study
d) it was not almost until 1900 when scholars and critics began to seriously study
e) it was not until almost 1900 that scholars and critics seriously began studying

why C is not correct?

I can explain Why B,C, D are wrong but can anyone please explain why A is wrong?

Original sentence is , Although poets had professed x and had pretended Y, until almost 1900, scholars and critics did not begin study Z in native languages.
I don't know why A is wrong, Excuse me for that.
For B, the meaning of the sentence will be "until almost 1900 scholars and critics" means scholars and critics were 1900 in number, Wrong.
For C, it is saying "1900 were scholars and critics", how could a year (1900) be student and critics.
For D, almost is adjective and until is preposition so adjective should touch noun. so correct structure is until almost 1900.
To see this we can take below examples.
I kept my book on wood table. Here "Wood" is adjective and "on" is preposition.Now if I will change order
I kept my book wood on table. -----------------> Wrong.
For E, Until almost 1900 correct but don't know why we need "that"

Can someone please explain logic behind A.

I hope my explanation helped, If indeed please give me Kudos.

Focus on the first word : Although = representative of a transition, a change of course .

Original Sentence:
Although various eighteenth- and nineteenth-century American poets had professed X, until almost 1900, Y happened . ==> No evidence of transition.

Correct Sentence:

Although various eighteenth- and nineteenth-century American poets had professed X, it was not until almost 1900 that Y happened . ==> Voila !!! So thats the the transition.

Crick
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 538 [2]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
By transition I meant a word that itself entails some logic.

Example:

Although I was tired, I stayed up late last night.

Meaning:

I was tired last night. Normally a tired person (including the person in the sentence) would take rest and sleep. But/Still/However I stayed up late last night. ==> Thats the transition.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 229 [2]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE:Web Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Bookmarks
I completely agree with Daagh about the issue of "seriously" in option D, although I am still not sure if "that" is correct in E. But I think "that" in E is not as bad as "seriously" in D.

@rphardu The reason why A is not correct is that In A, modifier ",until almost 1900," is sandwiched between two sentences and it's not clear from the sentence whether it is modifying the sentence before or after it, so A can not be correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 202 [6]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
until almost and almost until have different meaning.
I will not eliminate a choice right away because it has almost until 1900
Almost until 1900: Here almost actually modifies 'until 1900', is the meaning correct? NO!
Until almost 1900: Here, almost modifies 1900. correct meaning.
Note that similar words whose placement changes meaning on gmat choices are only, and, etc. Be careful while reading choices. these errors seem subtle but make a sentence non-sensical.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Although various eighteenth and nineteenth-century American poets had [#permalink]
Kudos
B is the answer. not until almost is incorrect so C D E are out, seriously to study in A is incorrect
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [2]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos