Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 17:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Alumni reception with the dean of Duke's Fuqua School

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Alumni reception with the dean of Duke's Fuqua School [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2007, 00:00
I just returned from an alumni event where I got a chance to talk at length with the dean of Fuqua after his speech. It was interesting to hear his thoughts about everything under the sun including Fuqua's ambitious surge in its relatively short period of existence. Some points that I can remember from his speech...

- Starting this year, they are emphasizing more on interview performance. According to him, test scores do matter but interviews will also be weighed heavily henceforth.
- Acceptance rate will go down in the coming years to what it was a few years ago (15-20%). They increased the class size by 60 in 2003 which resulted in an increase in the acceptance rate.
- Applications are up 20% despite the bad press due to the lacrosse scandal.
- Expect major alliances with the London School of Economics and Indian Institute of Ahmedabad (which he called the Harvard of Asia).
- Most international school after Stanford.
- Fuqua's faculty ranks among the best in all functional areas. According to him Stanford, Chicago, MIT and Fuqua have recruited the best faculty in the last 5-10 years.
- They are working on deals with major consulting firms to place people internationally with at par dollar salaries (not in Yuan, Rupees whatever)

Time to sleep, I rambled about everything that I can remember...
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2007, 04:05
Thanks! I have an interview this Saturday so every bit helps! Please do post any more tidbits you can remember.

Also, I am assuming this is with the new Dean correct?
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2007, 09:06
Quote:
Starting this year, they are emphasizing more on interview performance. According to him, test scores do matter but interviews will also be weighed heavily henceforth.

Good to know that

I have my interview this weekend...

Cheers
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2007, 09:12
It was Dean Breeden....the outgoing dean. The new dean is in South Africa currently.

batchgmat wrote:
Thanks! I have an interview this Saturday so every bit helps! Please do post any more tidbits you can remember.

Also, I am assuming this is with the new Dean correct?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2007, 09:43
Quote:
Starting this year, they are emphasizing more on interview performance. According to him, test scores do matter but interviews will also be weighed heavily henceforth.

Not surprised. I interviewed not too long ago and got grilled much more than at any other school. It felt good because I thought I had strong answers, but it was much more intense than I thought it would be.
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 177 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2007, 22:04
dukes wrote:
Quote:

Not surprised. I interviewed not too long ago and got grilled much more than at any other school. It felt good because I thought I had strong answers, but it was much more intense than I thought it would be.

Ditto.

Be ready with your "team" question -- a time you worked in a team and weren't a leader. Team Fuqua, etc.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2007, 08:45
aaudetat wrote:
dukes wrote:
Quote:

Ditto.

Be ready with your "team" question -- a time you worked in a team and weren't a leader. Team Fuqua, etc.

who interviews the Applicants@Duke...I read in accepted database that it is always by Second Year students?

Is it blind or they went thorough our profile....?????

How busy is RDU airport? My flight is landing at 07:50 am and my interview is scheduled at 10.00 am....Hoping that i can get off the plan--and drive to the campus in time
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2007, 10:31
OZ, you should be OK, when I visited, the airport was not busy at all and traffic was not an issue
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2007, 10:36
Thanks Econgirl
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2007, 10:38
Quote:

They say it is blind but my interviewer said some things and asked some questions that made me think he had seen my application. I'm not positive about this but I doubt this was more than a coincidence.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2007, 10:46
Interviews are blind. The interviewer gets your resume 15-20 minutes before your interview. This helps him/her know your basic profile.

Oz, it will take you around 20-25 minutes to reach Duke. Make sure you park in the parking lot on science drive which is right across the business school. If you mention that you are there for an interview, the attendant will let you park for free.

dukes wrote:
Quote:

They say it is blind but my interviewer said some things and asked some questions that made me think he had seen my application. I'm not positive about this but I doubt this was more than a coincidence.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2007, 10:49
lhotseface wrote:
Interviews are blind. The interviewer gets your resume 15-20 minutes before your interview. This helps him/her know your basic profile.

Oz, it will take you around 20-25 minutes to reach Duke. Make sure you park in the right parking lot on science drive which is right across the business school. If you mention that you are there for an interview, the attendant will let you park for free.

Thanks a lot ...
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 177 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2007, 19:19
Bit of info -

On the way out of town, the security line at RDC was completely crazy. I think it took me 45 minutes to get through. I was surprised, and glad that I'd gotten there early enough.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2007, 07:05
Back from Durham!

Duke is amazing, interview was friendly and focused on 6 or 7 questions..fairly standard...which i will post later....there was not much grilling more of a conversation, i feel they are trying to analyze the fit with the student body, so all the interviews r conducted by the 2 year students...I feel I did well :lol: :lol:

The campus, facilities r great, will post the pics later ...

Weather - dont even ask .....Bright sunny day....

Can't wait for the Judgement day - March 08
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2007, 12:56
Good luck ! I was also quite impressed with the facilities and the people.

Ozmba2006 wrote:
Back from Durham!

Duke is amazing, interview was friendly and focused on 6 or 7 questions..fairly standard...which i will post later....there was not much grilling more of a conversation, i feel they are trying to analyze the fit with the student body, so all the interviews r conducted by the 2 year students...I feel I did well :lol: :lol:

VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2007, 12:58
lhotseface wrote:
Good luck ! I was also quite impressed with the facilities and the people. Look forward to the pictures.

Ozmba2006 wrote:
Back from Durham!

VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2007, 07:28
Duke pics
Attachments

IMG_1090.JPG
IMG_1090.JPG [ 566.37 KiB | Viewed 509 times ]

IMG_1084.JPG