Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Nov 2014, 16:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Am I a typical or atypical applicant?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Am I a typical or atypical applicant? [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2006, 14:05
Scott/Omari,

I've been reading your book and it has helped tremendously. I plan to apply to Fall 2007 business programs.

Could you evaluate my profile? [...]

Last edited by saturnring11 on 09 Mar 2006, 20:15, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 51

[#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2006, 17:51
Expert's post
Thanks for the kind words about the book!

I actually think that you have a realy strong profile! Re: the family company, one risk would be looking like you only had big positions because you're part of the family. But, all of the success that you've had since then shows that you're truly successful on your own.

The "Indian engineer" thing obvioulsy makes things harder, but you have enough great stuff here (esp. your community involvement and leadership experience on the job) to set yourself apart. As you know from the book, that's critically important. The Bay Area thing could be a knock against you for Stanford and Haas... Again, I think it will be how well you can distinguish yourself from other engineers.

For entrepreneurship, you can't go wrong with any top school. If you're willing to leave the Bay Area for two years, I truly think that your profile is strong enough that you would have a respectable shot at at least a few Top 10 schools.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2006, 22:22
The reason I'm looking primarily at Bay Area/California schools is because I plan to get married this year (There's never a good time for marriage, is there?)

My fiance has found her dream job at a Bay Area firm. She moved here from Texas because of me about a year ago. If I suggest that we move again, I'd be in the doghouse for a long, long...LONG time :)

I'd consider moving alone only as a last resort. Possibly if I get into a top 10 school elsewhere.

Why do schools exhibit location bias? Wouldn't local residents be more willing to give back to the school and community than people who've lived at a certain location only to go to school there?
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 51

[#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2006, 17:38
Expert's post
It's not that schools are biased against applicants from a given location. It's just that they want to have a diverse class. That means having people of various ethnicities, professional backgrounds, etc., and also includes where they're from. I'm sure Stanford and Haas get more applicants from California / the Bay Area than anywhere else. They understandably don't want the class to be too heavily weighted with people from that area, so it ends up being a little harder for people from that area to get in.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews