Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 09:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Am I a Wharton or Kellogg Candidate?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V45
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V42
GMAT 3: 760 Q48 V48
GPA: 3.51
WE: Marketing (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Am I a Wharton or Kellogg Candidate? [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2012, 18:52
Hi Jon,

Thank you for taking the time to give your advice! I am looking to apply to B-school in the first or second round this year, and I am setting my sights on Wharton or Kellogg. However I'm concerned about the strength of my candidacy, particularly given my work experience. Can you shed a little light on this? Here is my profile:

-23/M/Caucasian American
-3.5 GPA in an advertising/history double major with psychology and marketing minors at a top 50 school
-Undergrad Extra Curriculars: 2 years on the E-board of the advertising club, 1 year on the Board of Directors of the advertising young professional association in my city, history honors society, internship experience in my field (marketing).
-Post Grad ECs: President of my fraternity's alumni chapter (spearheading fundraising efforts), volunteer with a program helping foster children finish high school and transition out of foster program.
-Work Exp: 2.5 years total, one as a copywriter with a regional ad agency (where I won two regional awards), 1.5 as a marketing coordinator/manager (after promotion) with a small, but growing, education company. Also part owner of a small business and a freelance writer.
-Will have Letter of Recommendation from a Wharton grad and former Fortune 500 CEO
-Essays should be strong (writing skills are a strength)
-Taking official GMAT in 5 weeks; target range is 730-750.

Since my field is marketing, Wharton and Kellogg are particularly enticing, but do you think these credentials make for a strong candidate at these schools?

Thank you in advance and I look forward to hearing from you!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Am I a Wharton or Kellogg Candidate? [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2012, 00:40
Expert's post
Things look good in general, but you are a bit on the young and inexperienced side, as you pointed out. My question to you would be the same as the Adcom's question to themselves: What's the rush?

Take a look at some stats for work experience upon entering an MBA. For Kellogg for example we have:

Mean months of work experience of newest entering class: 60
Median months of work experience of newest entering class: 57

Middle 80% range of work experience of newest entering class in months: 37-85

It doesn't mean you shouldn't apply, or can't get in either. Because at matriculation you'd have 42 months, which is pretty fine, but just to make sure that you have good reason, and strong enough experience until then.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V45
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V42
GMAT 3: 760 Q48 V48
GPA: 3.51
WE: Marketing (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Am I a Wharton or Kellogg Candidate? [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2012, 09:20
Thank you for the quick response. I appreciate your feedback; this will definitely help me anticipate the concerns I might face in the admissions process. I think this is a question I can certainly handle in an interview process. Basically I've found success with smaller businesses that have offered little formal training or mentoring from experienced business (and particularly marketing) professionals, and I truly believe the best way to expand my skill set and hone the skills that I have is to immerse myself in the environment of talented peers, top professors, and successful alumni that a Wharton or Kellogg can offer.

Thank you again for your frank feedback. This was exactly the type of information for which I was looking.
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Am I a Wharton or Kellogg Candidate? [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2012, 22:28
Expert's post
You're welcome dude. :)
And I wouldn't just answer this in the interview, but address it in the application as well. Meaning that in the application work to show the "ripeness" of your candidacy based upon the strength of your work experience. (and linked to your goals)

You'll be juuuuuust fine, I'm sure.
Best of luck to ya

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!