Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:01 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.37
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [1]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Am I aiming too High? 730 GMAT, work ex by fall 2013 4.5 yrs [#permalink]
Dare and the world always yields. lf it beats you sometimes, dare it again and again and it will succumb[img]https://www.cx-7.info/g.gif
[/img]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.51
WE:Corporate Finance (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
phanideepak wrote:
Yep I'll be more than glad to give out any information that helps people in knowing my profile a bit better.

I'll give the example of a hugely successful campaign that we did for Lenovo, USA. This was called the dream to do contest and you can access the url @ https://www.lenovodreamtodo.com . This campaign was targeted at primary,secondary and moiddle schools in the USA. The original intention was to market the notebook x130e which according to lenovo and because of its many features is the perfect fit for students' usage. Lenovo used our photo contests model to design a campaign called dream to do where the teachers in schools were supposed to submit the drawings done by their students. The drawings should depict what the students wants to be when he/she grows up. The winning school was decided based on the number of entries X10 + number of votes for entries belonging to that school. Just to give out some statistics there were more than 8000 entries and 56000 votes in a short span of 2.5 months. This was a very innovative campaign in that the company used our model of photo/video campaigns and also cleverly embedded CSR into it. We do similar stuff as facebook apps an example of that is the currently live contest https://www.facebook.com/qatarairways?sk ... 3602608947 . In this campaign the winner is decided based on votes and also based on the number of successful friend invites, shares on facebook walls, tweets etc. The campaign also incorporates # tagging in twitter that is so viral. I hope this gives you a decent idea on what I do.

This gives some good, high-level, insight into the projects your company works on, but it doesn't really say what YOU do. What did you do to support the Lenovo project?

If I could give you one piece of advice from what I learned when I was applying to schools last year it would be: "Get to the point, make sure that your evidence supports the point and make sure that everything actually answers the question you're being asked."

Your overall GMAT score is awesome, especially your Q & V splits. You have lots of good extra-curricular interests and experiences, and the sustainability part fits into your future career vision. I feel like your admission will hinge on your career vision and how you tie your past experiences into it. Did you articulate your vision clearly? Is it believable? Is there a link between who you are now (career/volunteer experiences), what what you want to become after business school and how X business school will help you get there?

I agree with method that whoever evaluated your profile was being overly pessimistic. As for schools currently on your list, I'll briefly talk about Booth because I was recently admitted into the Class of 2014. If I'm being brutally honest with myself, I didn't get in based off of my work experience (I've worked for some decently well known firms with some semi-interesting positions). I definitely think my essays are what set me apart from the other applicants. I was very specific about my goals, why Booth, who I am personally and professionally and what I would bring to campus.

If you tailor your vision to match who you are and you stay on message throughout the application that's all you can do and you let the chips fall where they may.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
phanideepak wrote:
Please do let me know if you have anymore inputs. Thank you once again for such an insighful reply!

First, I think that campaign is awesome and congratulations on that! The nature of your work definitely lends massive credibility to reaching higher.

Locking down your school list takes a lot of time. You think you'll have it set, and then the next day you go back and mess with it again, or rearrange it. But keep doing your due diligence, I think you're in the right ballpark.

What might end up being a major lever for you is: would you rather go somewhere with a great technical education or somewhere with a socially-minded student body? And which schools truly offer both.

I think you should definitely find a way to add Kellogg to your list.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
dsg wrote:
This gives some good, high-level, insight into the projects your company works on, but it doesn't really say what YOU do. What did you do to support the Lenovo project?

I agree with method that whoever evaluated your profile was being overly pessimistic. As for schools currently on your list, I'll briefly talk about Booth because I was recently admitted into the Class of 2014. If I'm being brutally honest with myself, I didn't get in based off of my work experience (I've worked for some decently well known firms with some semi-interesting positions). I definitely think my essays are what set me apart from the other applicants. I was very specific about my goals, why Booth, who I am personally and professionally and what I would bring to campus.

If you tailor your vision to match who you are and you stay on message throughout the application that's all you can do and you let the chips fall where they may.

Firstly congratulations on getting into booth its so awesome that I can talk to people who are already joining schools that I am aiming for!!!!

In the Lenovo project I was who developed the whole site as in all the web pages and everything. Basically I am a web developer with sound knowledge on social media integration.

Coming to my vision immediately after my MBA I plan on becoming a marketing consultant. In my current path I am sure to hit a plateau soon as all I do is suggest solutions and implement the campaigns technically. Also this field of marketing is just blooming and I don't want to miss the ship as I've been involved in this for about 3 years now. Its all the more exciting when I keep looking at the penetration that social networks have these days with the advent of smartphones more than 800 million users for eg and every smart phone boasts a facebook app as a feature so the target audience is HUGE and at that point I want to be something who makes use of all the resources at my disposal. That will be my main job but on weekends I plan to continue what I am doing now that is devote my time for the cause of education of the poor and sustainability. In the long term I plan to move on to sustainability and CSR.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
method wrote:
What might end up being a major lever for you is: would you rather go somewhere with a great technical education or somewhere with a socially-minded student body? And which schools truly offer both.

I think you should definitely find a way to add Kellogg to your list.

Ideally I am looking for a mix of both. I am sure that I will utilize my spare time for the causes of childrens education and environmental sustainability so I need great clubs where I can meet like minded people.

Thanks a lot for the recommendation, Method! I'll definitely add kellog to my target schools.

Also one thing that I keep hearing from people is about managing people? As in in my first company I was just getting started and the head count was about 150,000 there is no way I could get into managerial level within 2 years and in the next company it is a start up and people are much more experienced than I am so again there is not much possibility of managing people. I think leadership can also be by the way of initiatives at work etc right? In spite of lesser experience I am consistently allocated critical projects and also assigned to do fire fighting in projects where the progress is less than satisfactory. I am also asked to train people on new stuff. So can't all this substitute for managerial responsibilities? The person who evaluated my profile kept telling me that there are managers with 7-8 yrs experience who find it tough to get into schools such as Ross or Booth. I am sure that B-Schools look for leadership qualities but surely there are other ways to gauge those qualities other than counting the number of people who work under a person right? I mean I can argue that I am showing my leadership abilities by taking initiatives at work and being responsible for those initiatives(I have a lot of examples that demonstrate these).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
You should be able to do better than what was evaluated as your options but it all depends on how you tell your story... If you can stand out from the applicants from Infy, Wipro, CTS, etc you can definitely target schools in the top 10.
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Expert Reply
MBADreamzzz wrote:
You should be able to do better than what was evaluated as your options but it all depends on how you tell your story... If you can stand out from the applicants from Infy, Wipro, CTS, etc you can definitely target schools in the top 10.

Hello,

I completely agree with the opinion of MBADreamzzz.

There is a huge flow of IT and Engineering graduates from India to US schools, and believe me the number of students is really considerably high.

In this scenario, you have a chance of being put in run of the mill category if you do not present a compelling story in your essays and recommendations, your essays must scream what you have done as an individual and must not exhibit yourself to be a typical indian IT male candidate.

Your work area is impressive, but "Prove It" in your essays and recommendations, and believe me you have great story to articulate.

Good Luck
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Okay guys you have been such a great help!! Now I am more sure footed and based on your valuable inputs I have shortlisted the following :

1. Chicago Booth
2. Kellog
3. Ross
4. Kelley
5. Schulich
6. ISB

I have room for one more school and I will research a bit more but yea I will take a shot at one more top 10 school.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
OasisGC wrote:
MBADreamzzz wrote:

Hello,

There is a huge flow of IT and Engineering graduates from India to US schools, and believe me the number of students is really considerably high.

In this scenario, you have a chance of being put in run of the mill category if you do not present a compelling story in your essays and recommendations, your essays must scream what you have done as an individual and must not exhibit yourself to be a typical indian IT male candidate.

Your work area is impressive, but "Prove It" in your essays and recommendations, and believe me you have great story to articulate.

Good Luck

Thanks a lot Oasis and Mbadreamzz! Yes I have the stories to tell about why I can stand out I clearly have a goal set and I have been moving towards it for more than 2 years now. One of the reasons why I chose to quit Infosys and join a small startup where the head count was about 30 when I joined it!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.51
WE:Corporate Finance (Other)
Send PM
phanideepak wrote:
dsg wrote:

Firstly congratulations on getting into booth its so awesome that I can talk to people who are already joining schools that I am aiming for!!!!

In the Lenovo project I was who developed the whole site as in all the web pages and everything. Basically I am a web developer with sound knowledge on social media integration.

Coming to my vision immediately after my MBA I plan on becoming a marketing consultant. In my current path I am sure to hit a plateau soon as all I do is suggest solutions and implement the campaigns technically. Also this field of marketing is just blooming and I don't want to miss the ship as I've been involved in this for about 3 years now. Its all the more exciting when I keep looking at the penetration that social networks have these days with the advent of smartphones more than 800 million users for eg and every smart phone boasts a facebook app as a feature so the target audience is HUGE and at that point I want to be something who makes use of all the resources at my disposal. That will be my main job but on weekends I plan to continue what I am doing now that is devote my time for the cause of education of the poor and sustainability. In the long term I plan to move on to sustainability and CSR.

This sounds like the makings of a good essay/application. You'll be in good shape for applying in Round 1 if you keep refining your message. If I can make one more suggestion it would be to start working on each school's application as soon as it's released. If you want to apply Round 1 for every school, or at least the more competitive ones, work your way from your "least" to "most" favorite school. The reason for this is that the more you write, the better you'll get at writing the next set of essays. You may even consider applying to your top school in Round 2 so that your essays will be in the best shape they could possibly be in.

Good luck!
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Expert Reply
phanideepak wrote:
OasisGC wrote:
MBADreamzzz wrote:

Hello,

Good Luck

Thanks a lot Oasis and Mbadreamzz! Yes I have the stories to tell about why I can stand out I clearly have a goal set and I have been moving towards it for more than 2 years now. One of the reasons why I chose to quit Infosys and join a small startup where the head count was about 30 when I joined it!

You are most welcome.

You can surely articulate entire sequence of your career to a great story, and yes you have a good story. I have interacted with quiet a few indian IT male applicants and you have all chances to differentiate yourself.

Good luck, let me know if i could be of any help to you in crafting your essays !!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
OasisGC wrote:
phanideepak wrote:
OasisGC wrote:
Hello,

Good Luck

You are most welcome.

You can surely articulate entire sequence of your career to a great story, and yes you have a good story. I have interacted with quiet a few indian IT male applicants and you have all chances to differentiate yourself.

Good luck, let me know if i could be of any help to you in crafting your essays !!

Thanks a lot Oasis and I'll be more than glad to take your help in articulating my stories.

Last bumped by phanideepak on 04 Jun 2012, 08:46.

GMAT Club Bot