Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:56 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools: ISB '15
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Re: Am I burning out? ! 7 weeks left until my exam [#permalink]
GMATNinja wrote:
Syu322, it's not unusual at all to start to burn out, especially if you're putting a lot of pressure on yourself to improve quickly. Think of your GMAT preparations as a marathon, not a sprint. If you overdo it and try to cram too much into your head quickly, there's always a chance that you'll completely exhaust yourself, and really struggle to make progress.

Keep in mind that the GMAT isn't really a test of your knowledge. You can memorize every math formula and every grammar rule in existence, but they won't necessarily get you all that far on the GMAT. Sure, you need to know all of the fundamentals, but most of your success on the GMAT will be determined by your ability to be sharp when you attack questions. The GMAT is primarily a test of clear logic, precise reading, and sharp decision-making. If your mind is muddy when you do GMAT questions, you'll underperform your actual abilities, regardless of how much knowledge you've stuffed into your head.

I'm not sure whether this will actually help, but do your best to take a long-term view of the process. Try to embrace and enjoy the intellectual challenges of the GMAT, and try not to put too much pressure on yourself to make a ton of progress overnight. And above all, take good care of yourself physically and mentally--make sure that you get enough sleep, and don't completely lose sight of other things that keep you healthy, focused, and balanced (diet, exercise, family, social life, etc.).

If you need a break to refresh yourself, take it. But try to study at a pace that you can sustain over the long haul, and don't let the GMAT make you miserable! With a sustainable, balanced approach to studying, you'll be able to make some serious improvements.

Good luck with your studies!

GMATNinja,

Awesome post. An obvious (but not so obvious when you are preparing) fact largely neglected by students articulated in an unassuming manner.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 637 [1]
Given Kudos: 59
GPA: 2.5
WE:Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Kudos
GMATNinja, very well expressed mate. This i say from my experience. I was doing well, until one point when I started rolling backwards. Then I speculated, introspected and took help from some experts in forum including Abhi, and realized where I was going wrong. I was over stressed. Between work, personal life, studies, social life everything got mixed up and I was indeed cramping up.

I tweaked my approach, going a little steady paced now. I know the situation is different, I have couple of months to only 7 weeks here. But still I can vouch, a long term perspective in mind and immense perseverance will only get us through.

Very true, I know all concepts and I know all formulas, but I have to apply those correctly, this is not some high school test where straightforward formulas gets us to the correct answer choices, rather a lot of our mental application goes into each question in this test. It is more like a psychometric test I would say - a mind game - we really need to keep our nerves on. I learned it in my brief experience. So just thought to share.

Keep going buddy
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Keep going. If you feel like you are getting burnt out, then I suggest taking 3-4 days off and relax. I was getting burnt out and took my final practice test and bombed it. I took 10 days off. Came back to it with a better attitude and ready to move on. I know what you are going through. I would recommend getting the GMAT toolkit for your phone. If you commute on a train or spend any time in transit, its a great tool to keep your mind going. I am taking my test in about 4 weeks. You can do it!!!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.02
WE:Other (Education)
Send PM
I agree with everyone. I had a similar experience, and a break really helped me. Best of luck!
GMAT Club Bot