Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 02:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Am I burning out? ! 7 weeks left until my exam

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Am I burning out? ! 7 weeks left until my exam [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2013, 15:29
I never guessed that I would be writing something here. Background information

I work full time and I started my prep ~ February. I'm currently enrolled in the 6 week Veritas Prep class, but I did about a month of self prep and study prior to my class beginning. I am currently registered to take the exam at the end of May, which give me ~ 7 weeks after the class. My work schedule has me there ~ 730 -5pm and I stay at work every night for an extra 1.5-2 hours to review and do problems as well as go over solutions.

I've found that in the past couple of weeks, I'm unable to focus on problems when before I would attack them and know what specifically to look for. Saturdays is when the class is (6 hours). The I usually study/review again on Sunday for another 4-6 hours in chunks of time.

I feel as if I'm going backwards when about a month ago I was hitting the homework problems with great accuracy. Now that I see a similar problem, I don't know where to start.

Thanks for you help.
Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB '15

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 10

Re: Am I burning out? ! 7 weeks left until my exam [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2013, 20:54
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,
I think all working professionals face the issue that you are facing at some point of time or the other.
You should take proper rest and enjoy the GMAT learning experience.
After you join an MBA you will be doing much more than what you are doing now. So lay back, do not worry and prepare well.

Regards,
- Sandeep Biswas
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 125 [1] , given: 80

Re: Am I burning out? ! 7 weeks left until my exam [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2013, 11:41
This post received
KUDOS
Syu322, it's not unusual at all to start to burn out, especially if you're putting a lot of pressure on yourself to improve quickly. Think of your GMAT preparations as a marathon, not a sprint. If you overdo it and try to cram too much into your head quickly, there's always a chance that you'll completely exhaust yourself, and really struggle to make progress.

Keep in mind that the GMAT isn't really a test of your knowledge. You can memorize every math formula and every grammar rule in existence, but they won't necessarily get you all that far on the GMAT. Sure, you need to know all of the fundamentals, but most of your success on the GMAT will be determined by your ability to be sharp when you attack questions. The GMAT is primarily a test of clear logic, precise reading, and sharp decision-making. If your mind is muddy when you do GMAT questions, you'll underperform your actual abilities, regardless of how much knowledge you've stuffed into your head.

I'm not sure whether this will actually help, but do your best to take a long-term view of the process. Try to embrace and enjoy the intellectual challenges of the GMAT, and try not to put too much pressure on yourself to make a ton of progress overnight. And above all, take good care of yourself physically and mentally--make sure that you get enough sleep, and don't completely lose sight of other things that keep you healthy, focused, and balanced (diet, exercise, family, social life, etc.).

If you need a break to refresh yourself, take it. But try to study at a pace that you can sustain over the long haul, and don't let the GMAT make you miserable! With a sustainable, balanced approach to studying, you'll be able to make some serious improvements.

Good luck with your studies!

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 324 [0], given: 191

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Am I burning out? ! 7 weeks left until my exam [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2013, 10:11
GMATNinja wrote:
Syu322, it's not unusual at all to start to burn out, especially if you're putting a lot of pressure on yourself to improve quickly. Think of your GMAT preparations as a marathon, not a sprint. If you overdo it and try to cram too much into your head quickly, there's always a chance that you'll completely exhaust yourself, and really struggle to make progress.

Keep in mind that the GMAT isn't really a test of your knowledge. You can memorize every math formula and every grammar rule in existence, but they won't necessarily get you all that far on the GMAT. Sure, you need to know all of the fundamentals, but most of your success on the GMAT will be determined by your ability to be sharp when you attack questions. The GMAT is primarily a test of clear logic, precise reading, and sharp decision-making. If your mind is muddy when you do GMAT questions, you'll underperform your actual abilities, regardless of how much knowledge you've stuffed into your head.

I'm not sure whether this will actually help, but do your best to take a long-term view of the process. Try to embrace and enjoy the intellectual challenges of the GMAT, and try not to put too much pressure on yourself to make a ton of progress overnight. And above all, take good care of yourself physically and mentally--make sure that you get enough sleep, and don't completely lose sight of other things that keep you healthy, focused, and balanced (diet, exercise, family, social life, etc.).

If you need a break to refresh yourself, take it. But try to study at a pace that you can sustain over the long haul, and don't let the GMAT make you miserable! With a sustainable, balanced approach to studying, you'll be able to make some serious improvements.

Good luck with your studies!

GMATNinja,

Awesome post. An obvious (but not so obvious when you are preparing) fact largely neglected by students articulated in an unassuming manner.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 112 [1] , given: 59

Re: Am I burning out? ! 7 weeks left until my exam [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2013, 10:26
This post received
KUDOS
GMATNinja, very well expressed mate. This i say from my experience. I was doing well, until one point when I started rolling backwards. Then I speculated, introspected and took help from some experts in forum including Abhi, and realized where I was going wrong. I was over stressed. Between work, personal life, studies, social life everything got mixed up and I was indeed cramping up.

I tweaked my approach, going a little steady paced now. I know the situation is different, I have couple of months to only 7 weeks here. But still I can vouch, a long term perspective in mind and immense perseverance will only get us through.

Very true, I know all concepts and I know all formulas, but I have to apply those correctly, this is not some high school test where straightforward formulas gets us to the correct answer choices, rather a lot of our mental application goes into each question in this test. It is more like a psychometric test I would say - a mind game - we really need to keep our nerves on. I learned it in my brief experience. So just thought to share.

Keep going buddy

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++

-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Am I burning out? ! 7 weeks left until my exam [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2013, 12:20
Keep going. If you feel like you are getting burnt out, then I suggest taking 3-4 days off and relax. I was getting burnt out and took my final practice test and bombed it. I took 10 days off. Came back to it with a better attitude and ready to move on. I know what you are going through. I would recommend getting the GMAT toolkit for your phone. If you commute on a train or spend any time in transit, its a great tool to keep your mind going. I am taking my test in about 4 weeks. You can do it!!!!!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.02
WE: Other (Education)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Am I burning out? ! 7 weeks left until my exam [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2013, 12:48
I agree with everyone. I had a similar experience, and a break really helped me. Best of luck!

Long journey, but not impossible.

Re: Am I burning out? ! 7 weeks left until my exam   [#permalink] 15 Apr 2013, 12:48