Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 19:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Am I missing something?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Am I missing something? [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2007, 09:33
If your GMAT score is good enough to get you into the school you want to go to, why would you spend more time and money trying to raise your score?

I scored a 630 on my only attempt which is good enough to get me into the school I am going to go to so it perplexes me as to why I see so many "got a 720" should I retake?

I clearly am missing something.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2007, 10:16
They may have other deficiencies in their application such as low GPA, limited leadership experience, etc. Plus, a lot of these people are looking at top-10 schools.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2007, 10:24
lanter1 wrote:
They may have other deficiencies in their application such as low GPA, limited leadership experience, etc. Plus, a lot of these people are looking at top-10 schools.

I see, I am in a very different situation I suppose. That makes sense.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2007, 10:58
However, if you score over 720 and want to re-take, I feel you are wasting your time. Take the time to get involved in the community and work on apps.

Where are you applying?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 701 [0], given: 5

[#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2007, 11:02
Some people are just driven and competitive by nature. I know personally I want as high a score as possible so that I know there is at least one portion of my application that is not in question. Its better to be at the top of the 80% range than right at the mean.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2007, 11:09
Being competitive has nothing to do with this. We are all competitive. I am just saying that there are many aspects to the process, not just GMAT score. If you want to get a 780, then more power to you.

Personally, my wife will kill me if i spend anymore on GMAT. Working 10 to 12 hour days plus GMAT does not make a good marriage.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2007, 11:59
"Good enough" is not a term that applies to MBA admissions. Nobody knows whether a 700 or 740 or 780 will be good enough. The applications process is not a yes/no question. For the most competitive schools, you need to maximize each part of your application to have a chance. Even if your score is above the average for a school, there's no guarantee that you will be admitted. A higher GMAT score won't necessarily get you admitted, but it could help.

There are other reasons to get as high a score as possible. The first factor is money. For most schools, GMAT is a key factor when awarding scholarships. I'm a perfect example of this. Also, if you're planning to look for a job in investment banking or consulting, the top employers will all ask for your GMAT score. The prevailing thought is that if you are below 700, you will have some explaining to do when interviewing at one of these companies.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 14

[#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2007, 12:02
There's the competitive side of me that wants to get a 770+, but the realistic and practical side of me is telling me that if I get over a 720, I will be happy (I'm applying to top 15 schools). I'm not looking for a job in IB or Bain or companies that will ask for your GMAT scores after I get my MBA, so I think I should be fine.

Of course, it's always NICE to be able to say I got 750+ on the GMAT. ;)
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2007, 12:12
I think we would all agree that 750+ is great and we would all love to see that score and it does help with the money aspect. My point was that you can't just rely on that score and there are many more important factors.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 11

[#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2007, 23:29
kryzak wrote:
There's the competitive side of me that wants to get a 770+, but the realistic and practical side of me is telling me that if I get over a 720, I will be happy (I'm applying to top 15 schools). I'm not looking for a job in IB or Bain or companies that will ask for your GMAT scores after I get my MBA, so I think I should be fine.

I need a 720 to get into a top-15 school?! Do I need my GMAT scores to induce penis envy of the highest degree!? I've got a 710... and think that I did very well considering my not so good prep tests... but all this talk about high GMATs has started me thinking

"Maybe I should retake the GMAT?"

I've got the retake bug!!! Somebody HELP!

kryzak.. now I can't sleep :(
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2007, 08:55
adc_away wrote:
kryzak wrote:

I need a 720 to get into a top-15 school?! Do I need my GMAT scores to induce penis envy of the highest degree!? I've got a 710... and think that I did very well considering my not so good prep tests... but all this talk about high GMATs has started me thinking

"Maybe I should retake the GMAT?"

I've got the retake bug!!! Somebody HELP!

kryzak.. now I can't sleep :(

I LOL'd at this. :-D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 14

[#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2007, 09:12
LOL
  [#permalink] 25 Jul 2007, 09:12