Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 20:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Am I out of my league? Profile Evaluation Appreciated!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.09
WE: Analyst (Health Care)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Am I out of my league? Profile Evaluation Appreciated! [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2012, 20:10
I would much appreciate your assistance and opinion. I’m going to try for great schools, but am worried about my GPA, experience, and age. I want to work internationally after school, so many of my targets are international.

Here's my profile:

American Latino Male
720 GMAT (Lower quant, very high verbal)
3.2 GPA
30 years old

Education:
I received my BBA from 2nd tier state university. During my undergrad I founded a campus political organization and was very active in a campus parish (everything from leading retreats to hosting guest speakers). In addition, I was an active campaigner and volunteer for congressional campaigns. Took an internship my senior year with the US Senate in DC researching proposed trade legislation.

Work Experience:
Shortly out of school I left my job at a local bank to be an entrepreneur and start my own business, which was successful for 3 years until the economy went south and I had to close shop. At its peak, the business employed 8, and had monthly volume of over $1mil.

Then went to work for my family's small business where in addition to in addition to overseeing all the firms marketing efforts. Finally decided to work for a large firm with the possibility of a higher career trajectory. Currently working at Fortune 20 healthcare firm as government analyst.

Post-BBA Activities
Hospice Volunteer
Captain of Flag Football Team

Short term goal:
To work internationally as either a strategy consultant or possibly in microfinance.

Long term goal:
Use my international business expertise and interest in the intersection of business and politics to work for an organization like the State Department, UN, or World Bank.

Dream Schools: INSEAD (Consulting job opportunities and global perspective, perfect!), London Business School, Columbia
Target schools: IE, IESE, Duke
Safety: Thunderbird, Georgetown
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q V0
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 27

Premium Member
Re: Am I out of my league? Profile Evaluation Appreciated! [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2012, 11:07
I think you've got a good shot. A higher quant score would help. If you think you can improve that, I would.

One option you may want to consider a joint degree with a public policy program, like the Tuck-Fletcher degree, the Columbia MBA-SIPA degree, etc. Yale SOM might be a good option for you too

I was a little confused about your goals. You sound like you want to go into the public sector, but then you mention Consulting when you mention INSEAD. Do you mean you want to start out in Consulting and then move into gov't?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Am I out of my league? Profile Evaluation Appreciated! [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2012, 04:26
Hi DukeCityMBA,

With your good GMAT score and good/interesting work experience, you stand a good chance at the top international schools. Many of the international b-schools have a high average age so I wouldn't worry about your age. Having good work experience (and the ability to tell a compelling story) might make up for a low GPA.

Good luck!
Re: Am I out of my league? Profile Evaluation Appreciated!   [#permalink] 16 Oct 2012, 04:26