Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 01:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Am I ready? Test Sat, 750 GMAT prep2

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Am I ready? Test Sat, 750 GMAT prep2 [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2011, 17:40
I am taking the GMAT Saturday.

I just scored 750 on GMAT 2 with a 42V 49Q. I scored 700 on the first gmatprep test before studying back in June, 44V I think 41Q..

I have taken a few Manhattan GMATs but not under realistic conditions because they seemed much much harder on quant. I scored 710 and 720 on those two. I have also been through 6 of the gmatclub quant tests and one gmatclub verbal test. I did some of the problems from Manhattan GMAT number properties and OG12, but besides that I really haven't done much studying.

I feel my weakest area is some of the harder quant stuff - hard permutations/combinations, harder algebra questions, but I was able so solve many of these on the last test I took by plugging numbers - a solution I previously forgot about and would try to solve the hard way.

Should I try to take GMATprep 1 again before Saturday? What would you guys recommend over the next few days? Even though I feel weakest in quant, since verbal has the biggest impact on my score I think it would be wise to study some of that now (maybe work on some CR/RC problems - SC is my strong area as a native English speaker.

I don't plan on studying at all Friday. How much studying do you guys recommend the last few days before the test?
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 14

Re: Am I ready? Test Sat, 750 GMAT prep2 [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2011, 22:49
I feel improving in quant is easier than in verbal. But it takes time. Given your timeline, I dont think you can improve your quant score much. Rather, brush up your existing concepts, especially SCs and your own gmat notes if you have any. If you really need a better score in quant, I think you need to postpone your exam but I wont recommend it, considering the decent score you are getting and your quant score not being too bad.

Consider +1 Kudos if you find my post useful. Even otherwise :D
Please feel free to point out any errors in whatever I post.

Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Tau Beta Pi, Phi Beta Kappa, Inroads
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: Stanford '15 (S)
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: Am I ready? Test Sat, 750 GMAT prep2 [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 16:44
You are scoring about the same overall as I did on the GMATPrep and the MGMAT CAT tests (although my Q&V scores were different) and I scored the same as my top score on GMATPrep. You're probably not going to pull up your Quant in such a short time, so I would suggest spreading your time evenly over Quant and Verbal doing hard practice problems to maintain a firm foundation. I wouldn't suggest doing another practice tests, just try and find hard problems and go through them.

I studied all the way up to the test, even the morning of since I find I need a few warm up problems to get my mind active and in the right mindset.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: Am I ready? Test Sat, 750 GMAT prep2 [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2011, 12:37
do it or not...i am sure you will get a good score!!! be calm and give your best!!!
good luck!!
Intern
Intern

Re: Am I ready? Test Sat, 750 GMAT prep2 [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2011, 10:03
Well I took the exam yesterday, and had pretty mediocre results compared to my practice scores.

Basically the quant section was harder than anything I had seen on the gmatclub tests, along the lines of MGMAT. Most of the problems I got were harder algebra problems that I never understood well, along with a string of several tricky DS problems in a row. Maybe I was just nervous and didn't perform as well as I did on practice.

Anyways, verbal was relatively easy, hardest part was a hard RC passage over physics. I click through, get my score, and I scored 710: 45V, 42Q. Normally I would be happy with this score if it weren't for the miserable, unbalanced performance in quant. My percentiles were 73% for Q and 95% for V, 92% overall.

So, should I resit the exam? I definitely don't want to right now. Will it matter? You tell me. I'm not applying to MBA programs just yet - I am applying to top MS Accounting programs in the US, MSF at Stockholm School of Economics and Univ of Saint Gallen, Switzerland, and maybe a few other US msf programs. It's really too late for me to retake the test... since applications are becoming due as of Feb 1.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 14

Re: Am I ready? Test Sat, 750 GMAT prep2 [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2011, 10:33
If you are ready to devote some time for the preparation, say around 2 months, I think you can improve your quant score. 48 is very reachable. It becomes tougher beyond that.
All the Best!

Consider +1 Kudos if you find my post useful. Even otherwise :D
Please feel free to point out any errors in whatever I post.

Intern
Intern

Re: Am I ready? Test Sat, 750 GMAT prep2 [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2011, 19:33
Lol, I actually misread my score the first time I saw it and didn't realize I had 45Q 42V until I applied for graduate programs. Anyways, I didn't retake the test for graduate school, but I may retake it in the future if I decide to apply to an MBA program in 5 years or so (I am just now graduating from undergrad).
Director
Director
Schools: ISB
WE 1: Engineer - Larsen & Toubro, ECC Division
WE 2: Faculty - T.I.M.E.
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: Am I ready? Test Sat, 750 GMAT prep2 [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2011, 19:40
kseel wrote:
Lol, I actually misread my score the first time I saw it and didn't realize I had 45Q 42V until I applied for graduate programs. Anyways, I didn't retake the test for graduate school, but I may retake it in the future if I decide to apply to an MBA program in 5 years or so (I am just now graduating from undergrad).

Congratulations on your 700 plus score and your score of 42 in the verbal section.

As and when you take your GMAT, try to be systematic about the preparation. Focus on quant this time :)

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT [Experience Thread]

Intern
Intern

Re: Am I ready? Test Sat, 750 GMAT prep2 [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2011, 19:48
Entwistle wrote:
kseel wrote:

Congratulations on your 700 plus score and your score of 42 in the verbal section.

As and when you take your GMAT, try to be systematic about the preparation. Focus on quant this time :)

Yeah, surprisingly I didn't study verbal (native English speaker, had a Nazi-grammarist as an English teacher in high school). I devoted most of my time studying to quant, but I didn't practice time management well enough. I got caught up on a few problems and guessed on the last 5-6 questions. I think I wasn't used to the mind-numbingness of really trying to write a winning essay before completing the quantitative section.

Also, I haven't had much math in college, and I don't think I ever learned it very well at a younger age due to moving around (I went to five different high schools in four years). It was difficult to face this fact since I always considered arithmetic one of my strengths, but without proper education not everyone can do it all (unless you are Will Hunting, lol!).
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Am I ready? Test Sat, 750 GMAT prep2 [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2011, 20:12
Wow! You guys are super brainy makes me think:What am I doing in this club anyways! Lol, jokes apart, u will breeze thru quant if you become more systematic and be the new star to score 770+, just go rigorously thru basic math stuff and pray give urself 3 months atleast!

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Re: Am I ready? Test Sat, 750 GMAT prep2 [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2011, 13:50
desiaggie1980 wrote:
Wow! You guys are super brainy makes me think:What am I doing in this club anyways! Lol, jokes apart, u will breeze thru quant if you become more systematic and be the new star to score 770+, just go rigorously thru basic math stuff and pray give urself 3 months atleast!

Posted from my mobile device Image

Thanks Desi, I really appreciate that. I was disappointed to score lower than my practice tests, but I didn't put in the work to deserve higher than what I got. BTW, did you go to Texas A&M?
Re: Am I ready? Test Sat, 750 GMAT prep2   [#permalink] 12 Mar 2011, 13:50