Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Nov 2014, 04:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Am I Stanford, Sloan or Haas material?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Am I Stanford, Sloan or Haas material? [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2012, 09:57
GMAT : 770 (50Q, 47V) 6.0AWA
UnderGrad : 7.5/10 BE (Computer Science Engineering) (Manipal Institute of Technology)
Work Exp : 4 years at the time of admissions (Fall 2013)

Worked for a large (50,000+ employees) multinational, EMC Corp., for about 10 months. Realized that I was stifling my innovative side by working there due to very little room for out-of-the-box thinking, hence quit the job and joined a startup.

Worked on the Business Development team for the startup (40 employees, US and India) and was a key member of the team(4 members) responsible for its monetization (which reached $5M revenues) and eventual profitability .
Saw the startup through an acquisition of $120M and still work here, now as a part of the larger corporation.

I am currently working to establish my own startup centered around the concept of social responsibility. Guess I am turning into a somewhat social entrepreneur. However, this has not taken off yet and is in its initial conceptualization phase. Have a 3 member team, where I have taken the central role.
Since this has not been launched yet, I am apprehensive about mentioning this anywhere in the application essays, as it may seem fabricated.

Additional experience : Working with an NGO for the welfare of stray dogs in our cities. I am a core member and working towards building their online presence and mobilizing volunteers and funds for the organization.

Post MBA goals
Short Term : To work for internet based startups(preferably in North America) in a Product Management role to get an end-to-end understanding of a product lifecycle. I would like to do this for a span of 2-3 years, which would give me time to repay the education loans incurred for an MBA as well.
Long Term : Want to start my own venture to work in the emerging e-commerce sector in South East Asia.

Target schools : Haas, Sloan, Stanford GSB, ISB, and open to suggestions :oops:

Programs of interest : An MBA in Entrepreneurship and Business Strategy

Letters of recommendation : Hopeful of securing these from the CEO (Berkeley alum), VP Business Development (UCLA Andersen alum) and Product Manager (ISB alum), all of whom I have worked with directly.

In terms of the strength of my credentials please advise whether the schools I am aiming at are realistic or not, also please suggest 1 or 2 additional schools to apply to.

Thanks a lot..
I really appreciate this.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

Re: Am I Stanford, Sloan or Haas material? [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2012, 10:44
Sahil,
You have a strong profile and appear to be qualified for Haas, Sloan, and ISB. Whether you are Stanford material or not would depend on the details of your story; feel free send me your resume for a closer look: paulbodine@yahoo.com. Given your (social) entrepreneurship goals, you could consider Columbia, Kellogg, Michigan, and Cornell. I think you should discuss your latest startup, just make it as 'real' as possible and don't over-emphasize it or say it's further along than it is.

--Paul Bodine, http://www.paulsbodine.com, Great Applications for Business School

sahilkmr wrote:
GMAT : 770 (50Q, 47V) 6.0AWA
UnderGrad : 7.5/10 BE (Computer Science Engineering) (Manipal Institute of Technology)
Work Exp : 4 years at the time of admissions (Fall 2013)

Worked for a large (50,000+ employees) multinational, EMC Corp., for about 10 months. Realized that I was stifling my innovative side by working there due to very little room for out-of-the-box thinking, hence quit the job and joined a startup.

Worked on the Business Development team for the startup (40 employees, US and India) and was a key member of the team(4 members) responsible for its monetization (which reached $5M revenues) and eventual profitability .
Saw the startup through an acquisition of $120M and still work here, now as a part of the larger corporation.

I am currently working to establish my own startup centered around the concept of social responsibility. Guess I am turning into a somewhat social entrepreneur. However, this has not taken off yet and is in its initial conceptualization phase. Have a 3 member team, where I have taken the central role.
Since this has not been launched yet, I am apprehensive about mentioning this anywhere in the application essays, as it may seem fabricated.

Additional experience : Working with an NGO for the welfare of stray dogs in our cities. I am a core member and working towards building their online presence and mobilizing volunteers and funds for the organization.

Post MBA goals
Short Term : To work for internet based startups(preferably in North America) in a Product Management role to get an end-to-end understanding of a product lifecycle. I would like to do this for a span of 2-3 years, which would give me time to repay the education loans incurred for an MBA as well.
Long Term : Want to start my own venture to work in the emerging e-commerce sector in South East Asia.

Target schools : Haas, Sloan, Stanford GSB, ISB, and open to suggestions :oops:

Programs of interest : An MBA in Entrepreneurship and Business Strategy

Letters of recommendation : Hopeful of securing these from the CEO (Berkeley alum), VP Business Development (UCLA Andersen alum) and Product Manager (ISB alum), all of whom I have worked with directly.

In terms of the strength of my credentials please advise whether the schools I am aiming at are realistic or not, also please suggest 1 or 2 additional schools to apply to.

Thanks a lot..
I really appreciate this.

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Am I Stanford, Sloan or Haas material? [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2012, 13:02
Thanks a lot Paul.

I really appreciate you taking the time out to reply to my nervous post here :)
Frankly speaking, I was bit lost and overwhelmed with all the information from all corners and the reassurance that you gave me in terms of the path to take, is really helpful.

I will definitely take you up on the offer of the resume´-review. Will send it across once I have a presentable draft ready :oops:

Once again, thanks..
Re: Am I Stanford, Sloan or Haas material?   [#permalink] 30 Jul 2012, 13:02