Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:27 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Media/Entertainment
Schools:Kellogg, Emory, Booth, Yale, Cornell, Duke
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton '11
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q49  V47
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Re: Amazon Kindle: Any Use for It @ Bschool? [#permalink]
I have an Iliad e-book reader (https://www.engadget.com/2008/02/19/irex ... -reviewed/). This is similar to Kindle (Iliad is more feature rich). But the problem is finding content for it. Not all if any of the main books will be available in ebook format. If they were, a device like this would be a god-send (I can actually take notes on the Iliad)...

The other problems with the device is that it only supports greyscale (and no colour). This is a limitation of the e-ink stuff they use for the screen. This would be a real drawback while reading graphs / pie charts and other businessey things we'd look at.

Finally the screen size is not upto scratch either. Some books are meant to have larger pages you are supposed to read text in conjunction with images (all on one page). But that is often not possible.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton '11
Send PM
I don't think you can do without real books, especially for textbook. But for paperback business book that would be great.If the kindle was a bit cheaper, it would be great.
Current Student
 Q49  V47
Send PM
falibay wrote:
I don't think you can do without real books, especially for textbook. But for paperback business book that would be great.If the kindle was a bit cheaper, it would be great.

Why is a textbook any different from a paperback business book? The Kindle lets you annotate, highlight, save notes on the Amazon servers, etc.

I am thinking pretty seriously about getting a used Kindle 1 right now. Being able to read the WSJ on it rather than cart around a paper is a big enough feature alone to entice me (esp. since the subscription is way cheaper than the normal yearly rate). Still dunno whether I will pick up textbooks on it -- if they're significantly cheaper, I might, otherwise I'll just rent or buy and sell back.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
I've been an owner of Kindle for about a year now.

It's a fantastic little companion to take during my travels all over the country to read newspaper (NYTimes.com, WSJ etc), magazines (Fortune), and other best sellers.

I also use the free Amazon.com service to convert documents to Kindle format so whenever I need to read a long work related documents etc, I send that to Amazon and get it wirelessly delivered to Kindle.

However, I think it's not a good use for textbooks. It has its limitation when it comes to displaying rich image etc and its really difficult to highlight a passage due to Kindle's limitations. If future kindle has a stylus or something for navigation, it will be better.
Current Student
 Q49  V47
Send PM
ninkorn wrote:
However, I think it's not a good use for textbooks. It has its limitation when it comes to displaying rich image etc and its really difficult to highlight a passage due to Kindle's limitations. If future kindle has a stylus or something for navigation, it will be better.

The Kindle 2 apparently has a cursor much like a word processor, so you can select items in a more granular way instead of just by line.

I am not ponying up for a Kindle 2 just yet, though. :-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Schools:Baruch / Zicklin
 V3
Send PM
the initial cost of the kindle + the marginal discount on ebooks via amazon.com pushes me away from the kindle.....

It's a great device but if book publishers cite "publication costs" as the reason math books are $200+, then the discount on them should be much steeper when available in ebook format... but this is not the case....

so, yeah, im sticking to lugging around books.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 670 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Refurb 1st generation kindles are now only $199 on amazon.com
I would get a kindle dx since it has a bigger screen and targets the textbook/college market.
However, I'm not getting one until they make the economist available on the kindle. Until then I'll still with the dead tree edition of everything.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Concentration: GM / Entrepreneurship
Schools:Stanford, Wharton, Columbia, Darden, Stern
 Q41  V45
Send PM
Darden is runnning a pilot program to test out the DX this year in their MBA and EMBA programs (https://www.darden.virginia.edu/html/new ... x?id=19238). While I haven't used any version of the Kindle, not having to lug around text books all day would definitely be of interest to me.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
I am not so sure - I am not a fan of electronic note taking anyway (or writing in books, you vandals). they look like a fun toy, and maybe as a reference tool. Not as a primary text though - too restrictive.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I have ordered the latest Kindle but for personal use only - the problem with purchasing ebooks is that you can't sell them when you're done. the Kindle version of a textbook is always going to be more expensive than a used copy of the book, and you at least have a chance of recouping the cost of the used book by selling it, you have zero chance with an ebook. Also, and this depends on the class, but Kindles don't note the corresponding hard copy page number so using it in class and having the prof refer to a page in the book may cause some issues.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
I have a Kindle DX, my only complaint is I can't write on my kindle without messing it up :) Also, the page navigation is slow.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
does kindle hurt the eyes or it is not bad? i am thinking of getting my mom one.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
I think for leisurely reading it is fine. Would be a great gift for your mom! Have you considered iPad?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Dawgie wrote:
I think for leisurely reading it is fine. Would be a great gift for your mom! Have you considered iPad?

thats too dear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: International Business, Strategic Consulting
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
You can always crack the DRM to re-sell, although I would not advise in one way or another.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Finance/Economics
Schools:Chicago Booth
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: Analyst: Big Four U.S.
WE 2: Senior Consultant: Big Four Taipei
Send PM
shaselai wrote:
Dawgie wrote:

thats too dear.

Do it- she'll love a Kindle! We just bought my mother-in-law and my grandfather the new Kindles for the birthdays, and both LOVE them. Especially my grandfather, as it allows him to get the newest releases for cheaper without having to leave his house, and he can adjust the text size larger without losing face and purchasing a large text book. And at age 83 he has had no problems learning how to use it!

Regarding the iPad suggestion- I don't think you can really compare the iPad as an option for a reading device. For short-term it's just fine, but studies (and personal experience) have shown that reading for extended periods on a backlit screen is really hard on your eyes. Especially for older users, the e-ink system is the way to go.

To touch on the original premise of this thread- my DH is in a master's program through Harvard's extension school, and has been able to email himself many of the case studies and PDF documents to read via Kindle instead of printing them out. If text books were more widely available on the device we would absolutely take advantage of it, as it cost over U.S. $300 to ship this semester's textbooks to Taiwan! :shock:
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
dont see a huge use for it unless you love reading in your spare time (although as you'll quickly find out, spare time is hard to come by in b-school). the main use would be to put cases on it so you could read them instead of reading them on your computer or printing them out. other than that, i doubt a lot of the textbooks are available in e-book format.
GMAT Club Bot