Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 12:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

American attitudes tend to be rather insular, but there is

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 0

American attitudes tend to be rather insular, but there is [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2007, 15:09
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
American attitudes tend to be rather insular, but there is much we can learn from other countries. In Japan, for example, workers set aside some time each day to exercise, and many corporations provide elaborate exercise facilities for their employees. Few American corporations have such exercise programs. Studies have shown that the Japanese worker is
more productive than the American worker. Thus it must be concluded that the productivity of American workers will lag behind their Japanese counterparts, until mandatory exercise programs are introduced.

The conclusion of the argument is valid if which one of the following is assumed?

(A) Even if exercise programs do not increase productivity, they will improve the
American worker?s health.
(B) The productivity of all workers can be increased by exercise.
(C) Exercise is an essential factor in the Japanese worker?s superior productivity.
(D) American workers can adapt to the longer Japanese work week.
(E) American corporations don?t have the funds to build elaborate exercise facilities.

AO: C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: CR. from a gmatprep book America vs. Japan [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2007, 15:39
I choose C.

The argument is saying that the Japanese worker is more productive because of exercise.

B is kind of tempting. But incorrect. The productivity of ALL workers does not have to go up to improve the general productivity. That is a bit extreme statement.

Ravshonbek wrote:
American attitudes tend to be rather insular, but there is much we can learn from other countries. In Japan, for example, workers set aside some time each day to exercise, and many corporations provide elaborate exercise facilities for their employees. Few American corporations have such exercise programs. Studies have shown that the Japanese worker is
more productive than the American worker. Thus it must be concluded that the productivity of American workers will lag behind their Japanese counterparts, until mandatory exercise programs are introduced.

The conclusion of the argument is valid if which one of the following is assumed?

(A) Even if exercise programs do not increase productivity, they will improve the
(C) Exercise is an essential factor in the Japanese worker?s superior productivity.
(E) American corporations don?t have the funds to build elaborate exercise facilities.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 2

[#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2007, 16:37
agree with C. Almost went for B, but C seemed stronger
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 5

[#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2007, 17:44
"All" makes choice B extreme
I agree it's C
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2007, 18:51
I understand that (B) is extreme but 'all' will include Americans too. What is the guarantee that what worked for Japanese will also work for Americans? (B) is the guarantee because 'all' implies that Americans can also increase their productivity with exercise. (C) does not cover for this. My $.02.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 0

Re: CR. from a gmatprep book America vs. Japan [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2007, 22:45
Ravshonbek wrote:

I said C, but i still cant quite see why B is wrong. C seems like a better answer though.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2007, 23:46
I go with B..here is the explanation..
B-->The productivity of all workers can be increased by exercise. .
if this is assumed then only it can be deduced that increased productivity of japanese workers is due to their increased exercising..hence same should be true for Americans(as they also come under the "all workers")

As of C..it only says that exercise is an essentinal factor for japanese workers ..it does not imply that same will hold true for american workers also...also we have to take the assumption that leads to the conclusion of the argument to be true.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2007, 05:04
kalpvriksha14 wrote:
if this is assumed then only it can be deduced that increased productivity of japanese workers is due to their increased exercising..hence same should be true for Americans(as they also come under the "all workers")

As of C..it only says that exercise is an essentinal factor for japanese workers ..it does not imply that same will hold true for american workers also...also we have to take the assumption that leads to the conclusion of the argument to be true.

Let me try and explain why B is not correct.

If I reject your explanation for B, it means that productivity of all workers cannot be improved. Which logically means productivity of some workers can be improved which will increase the average productivity of the Japanese workers.
So even when I negate answer B, it does affect the conclusion.
However if I negate C i:e exercise does not contribute to superior productivity, the conclusion falls apart :)
And an assumption can never let that happen.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2007, 07:11
saviop wrote:
kalpvriksha14 wrote:

If I reject your explanation for B, it means that productivity of all workers cannot be improved. Which logically means productivity of some workers can be improved which will increase the average productivity of the Japanese workers.
However if I negate C i:e exercise does not contribute to superior productivity, the conclusion falls apart :)

hmm..ok..if we negate ..B..it means that at least productivity of some workers ..can be increased by exercise..and as the productivity..of Japanese workers is increased this is must be due to exercise...but then we cannot conclude the stated observation..as then it implies that we cannot be sure that doing exercise..will definetely increase the productivity of American employess (as we have assumed that productivity of all workers cannot be increased by exercise)...therefor I think negating B..does not allow us to arrive at the conclusion stated...with full gaurantee..
As for C.it can be inferred from the passage..itself..as first it says ..that japanese..workers do more exercise..and then it states they are more productive..and it does not give any other information....I think that then it can be inferred that doing exercise is the reason for increased productivity..BTW..what is the OA....
and if can have the expanation for it then it would be better too!!!
SVP
SVP
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 231 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2007, 08:16
I go for B! this is because the argument gave 3 different premises:

1) That japanese corporations provide exercise facilities for their employess and japanese exercise regularly.

2) that few americans excercise.

3) that japanese are more productive than americans.

these are independant facts that can not be connected, yet the conclusion has blended them together and has claimed that there must be a correlation between exercise and productivity. Not only that, but the argument also believes that americans can also improve their productivity by doing the same as the japanese. So the argument assumes that there is a correlation between exercise and productivity, and that whoever excercises can also expect improvement in productivity.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2007, 14:52
Can we get an OA plz :P. Also can u post explanation if there is one?

Thx.
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2007, 15:31
saviop wrote:
kalpvriksha14 wrote:

OA is C and take the bolded for OE
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2007, 15:52
Ravshonbek wrote:
saviop wrote:
kalpvriksha14 wrote:

OA is C and take the bolded for OE

Interesting, I simply dont see how the conclusion can be said to be necessarily valid on that basis alone... it may well be that C is correct for Japanese workers, but two things may not follow:

1. That there are not other factors in productivity that can push Americans past the Japanese in terms of productivity, without the introduction of exercise regimes

2. That exercise regimes will have the same effect in the USA as they do in Japan.

On the other hand, B doesnt seem sufficient either - it simply tells us that exercise boosts productivity - it doesn't tell us how much, and doesnt exclude number 1 above - namely that other factors could be determinative.
  [#permalink] 18 Nov 2007, 15:52