Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 23:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

American job for Canadian citizen

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: McGill Desautels Class of 2013
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

American job for Canadian citizen [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2011, 05:37
I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the difficulty facing international mba grads (particularly Canadian) looking to find employment immediately following graduation. To clarify, I mean only those who are/were enrolled in American MBA programs and not those wishing to move into the American market from Canadian MBA programs.

I've heard different anecdotal rantings about the difficulty, given the state of the economy, for internationals to find employment post-grad and I was wondering if these rumblings were true. I could easily understand why that would be the case, but before I make a decision to attend an American MBA program (assuming non M-7 but still T1) I want to be sure that there will be sufficient opportunity for me upon graduation. So, if anyone has any information they could share it would be greatly appreciated.
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

Re: American job for Canadian citizen [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2011, 14:03
Many companies require permanent work authorization in order to apply to their internships or full-time job postings. However, there are plenty of companies that don't. All the international students at Tuck landed internships, although their choices were a little more limited without work authorization.

You do have a small benefit as a Canadian (although a lot of employers don't know about it). You can get a TN work visa for jobs that require certain educational backgrounds (you can look up the list). All the company has to do to get you a 3-year work permit is write-up a letter requesting the permit and a check for a few hundred dollars. It's much easier than getting a H1-B visa.

RF

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 6

Re: American job for Canadian citizen [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2011, 20:37
I know at least one person on a TN who is desperate to change to an H1-B. The TN insists that you remain in the same job. Some firms will work with you and change all the responsibilities and everything under the same job title, but there are plenty horror stories about working under a TN.

Not to warn you off - I think the market for good international candidates is improving significantly.

Manager
Manager
Schools: McGill Desautels Class of 2013
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

Re: American job for Canadian citizen [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2011, 20:51
If the market is improving is it improving more for recent grads or those who are already entrenched. So to speak?

Posted from my mobile device Image
VP
VP

Re: American job for Canadian citizen [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2011, 21:10
Well, said friend is going to find out whether an H1-B can be done. If you are on a visa, you always want to be on the most flexible visa possible. Moving jobs, H1-B's are somewhat more controlled in their use than when you graduate business school. So, except for recent grads (where H1-Bs were literally sitting on government shelves) where it is kind of improving, for others it is business as usual.

VP
VP

Re: American job for Canadian citizen [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2011, 16:29
3underscore wrote:
I know at least one person on a TN who is desperate to change to an H1-B. The TN insists that you remain in the same job. Some firms will work with you and change all the responsibilities and everything under the same job title, but there are plenty horror stories about working under a TN.

Not to warn you off - I think the market for good international candidates is improving significantly.

It's been a while since I've had to deal with immigration issues, but how is the TN any worse than an H1-B? You can't change jobs with an H1-B unless the company files an "application to amend H1-B". The other good thing about the TN is that there is no time limit, unlike an H1-B where you get 6 years then you have leave the country for a year.

Obviously the best scenario is a company hires you under a work visa then immediately starts the green card process.

RF

VP
VP

Re: American job for Canadian citizen [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2011, 09:54
The H1-B is company specific. TN is role specific. You can change role within a firm on an H1-B, just they have to file the papers accordingly the next year (advertise and prove it is necessary for the visa). TN you have to change the visa to change the role.

VP
VP

Re: American job for Canadian citizen [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2011, 10:37
3underscore wrote:
The H1-B is company specific. TN is role specific. You can change role within a firm on an H1-B, just they have to file the papers accordingly the next year (advertise and prove it is necessary for the visa). TN you have to change the visa to change the role.

Oh I see your point. But my understanding is, to change a TN visa they just write another letter and you get a new visa. You do have to go back through immigration though.

RF

VP
VP

Re: American job for Canadian citizen [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2011, 10:43
Sure - the story I have heard is that the interpretation of having the "correct paperwork" for a TN visa is highly dependent on the mood of the official you meet with. There are tales of people being detained for hours trying to prove they are a Consultant (with a Big 4 business card saying "Consultant"). Perhaps it is 6 one, half a dozen the other, but it sounds as though the H1-B has an inherent flexibility that HR are happier to work with in big organizations.

VP
VP

Re: American job for Canadian citizen [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 16:45
3underscore wrote:
Sure - the story I have heard is that the interpretation of having the "correct paperwork" for a TN visa is highly dependent on the mood of the official you meet with. There are tales of people being detained for hours trying to prove they are a Consultant (with a Big 4 business card saying "Consultant"). Perhaps it is 6 one, half a dozen the other, but it sounds as though the H1-B has an inherent flexibility that HR are happier to work with in big organizations.

Ahh... I could see that. The TN is not that common (since only Canadians can get them, I think Mexicans can get restricted ones), so it makes sense that HR would prefer to go for the trusty old H1-B.

I know when I moved to the US, HR was quick to switch me over to an H1-B as well.

RF

VP
VP

Re: American job for Canadian citizen [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 20:46
I am glad we are at an understanding! You as a Canadian, me trying to present concerns of a fellow Canadian who graduated about three years ago. It sounds as though the TN is great as an option, but not the best one if you have a full array of choices. Graduating 08/09/10 restricted those somewhat.

Re: American job for Canadian citizen   [#permalink] 07 Feb 2011, 20:46