Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 20:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

American resume tips

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
American resume tips [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 05:29
Hi,

I'd like to have some advise on how to write a pwerful "American" resume.

My first question is, should I use "I", eg: "I supervised ... I launched ..."

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: American resume tips [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 14:45
No,
I recommend to start your bullets with a strong action verb (such as spreaheaded, developed, conducted, etc.)

Use past tense for all your old jobs and present tense for your current position (unless that action is truely a one timer, then stick w/ the past tense as well).

kudos if you like me (or my post) :P

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: American resume tips [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 15:02
Thanks. It's true, that "I developed... I conducted" sounds a bit overkill and selfish.

I'll also switch from paragraph style to bullets.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: American resume tips [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 15:37
Argh! Bullets take up much more space.

Do I need a "motivations / career goals" section in my American resume? I usually include a two line elevator pitch just under my contact info, but I rarely see such section in American resumes.

Is it considered good etiquette to provide the GMAT score in a resume?

Last edited by PadawanOfTheGMAT on 16 Nov 2010, 16:05, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford R1, Wharton R1, Chicago R1, UCLA R1, Cornell R2
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 1

Re: American resume tips [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 16:02
PadawanOfTheGMAT wrote:
Thanks. It's true, that "I developed... I conducted" sounds a bit overkill and selfish.

It's not so much about sounding selfish as it is focusing the reader's attention. I'm no resume expert, so take this with a grain of salt. You start each point with an action verb because we already know you are the one doing the verbs, this is your resume after all.

You don't ever want the reader to notice patterns, like every paragraph starting with "I" or repetitious phrases. Your resume should be like a movie trailer, it hits all the high points and leaves the reader impressed and excited to learn more. Kind of a cliche, but a good way to weed out wishy-washy statements. I would remove transitions to shorten each section, and don't worry about proper sentence composition, the subject of many of these sentences is you, and there's no need to point that out.

I do have a sort of mission statement at the top of my resume. This highlights a lot of big picture characteristics that I don't have a chance to explicitly list anywhere else. It also gives you a chance to start the reader off with your brand message, a sort of lens through which to see the rest of your accomplishments. Though this statement may not be necessary for a job application (probably depends on the industry), I think it can really help your MBA application.

Hope that helps. Good luck with applications!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: American resume tips [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 16:25
PadawanOfTheGMAT wrote:
Argh! Bullets take up much more space.

Do I need a "motivations / career goals" section in my American resume? I usually include a two line elevator pitch just under my contact info, but I rarely see such section in American resumes.

Is it considered good etiquette to provide the GMAT score in a resume?

No, not for the MBA-application resume. Don't need the "Objectives" section (also, don't even include your address info!). It's useless waste of real estate... The only time when you need this section is when you're trying to land an entry-level position (or 1-3 years of exp usually).

Also, try to stick to 1 page, unless you're an exec who has 10+ years of experience. You can find pretty good examples on the internet...

Per bullet, besides describing WHAT you did, also describe the impact or effects of your action. I usually have two sentences (separated by a semicolon) that describes the WHAT and the CONTRIBUTIONS.

e.g.,
Redesigned the investment structure of a $x billion plan; improved the match between durations of assets and liability to decrease the plan's funded status volatility from 25% to 19%.

kudos if you like me (or my post) :P

Current Student
Schools: UCLA Anderson FEMBA Class of 2014
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 4

Re: American resume tips [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 07:06
There was a resume book someone uploaded a while back on one of the posts on the forum.

I would recommend reading through a resume book and making a list of verbs and adjectives that accurately describe your past experience. Once you have this list, start working it into your resume.

From the resume book you also get an idea of how everyone formats their resumes, lists their EC and more.
Re: American resume tips   [#permalink] 17 Nov 2010, 07:06