Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 02:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Americans Moving (Moved) to England/UK

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 27

Americans Moving (Moved) to England/UK [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2010, 14:49
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Are there any Americans out there planning to go to business school in the UK, who intend to stay in the UK after school? What will you do and where will you live?

My wife is an EU citizen so we'd have a fairly simple time with the paperwork. Still just trying to decide if we'd really like to live in the UK post-MBA.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Cambridge (R2-Matriculating), Nyenrode (Accepted), Oxford (R2-Interview invite)
WE 1: Army officer (Corps of Engineers)
WE 2: Air Quality Control Engineer
WE 3: Water Resources Engineer

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 19

Re: Americans Moving (Moved) to England/UK [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2010, 17:12
I'm planning on going to business school in Europe, although exact location is yet to be decided. Most of the schools to which I'm applying, however, are in the UK. And I am planning (hoping!) to stay in Europe after I finish school.

What I'll do and where I'll live are very good questions, ones that I'm trying to figure out as I go through the application process. So I, too, would be very interested in any input from others who have stayed or plan to stay in Europe post-MBA.

skahuh - what are you looking to specialize in? And what industry are you in now? Have you been to the UK before? Do you have specific concerns about living in the UK?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

Re: Americans Moving (Moved) to England/UK [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2010, 07:10
A question I'm interested in as well.

My wife is British, though not English, and we are strongly considering UK as a place to settle. I do like London, though I have reservations and ultimately it will come down to quality of life comparison.

The three most important ports for us are also roughly evenly distributed by flight time from London, so travel is less of an issue. Daily living expenses are relatively high, flats and houses are generally smaller with fewer amenities than similar cost accommodation in the US, the potential exists to avoid the cost of a car though it is unlikely we would forgo owning one. There are other more personal things as well, like the love of sunshine in California, mom's vying for access to grandchildren, love of the outdoors, etc...but those are less quantifiable, though at a personal level possibly more important.

Previously mentioned considerations aside, the most important issue in my opinion is lousy US citizen tax law. That is really the crux and something I know relatively little about. I understand there is an $80k or $90k living allowance write off, but I'm not entirely sure how that works. At its root, if there is any form of double taxation, it will be extremely difficult to make living in UK pencil. I would like to save a great deal of my income over the next decade to fund investments that will hopefully provide the real wealth for our family.

What are your pros and cons? Anyone share more light on US citizen taxation abroad?
Intern
Intern
Schools: University of San Diego

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 7

Re: Americans Moving (Moved) to England/UK [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2010, 12:16
Curious to find out more about this as well...I'm an American and my top choices right now are in England, and I have not ruled out the possibility of sticking around either in the UK or in Europe upon graduation from a business school...
Manager
Manager

Re: Americans Moving (Moved) to England/UK [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2010, 14:53
Sorry for the delayed response. Been running around quite a bit lately. Thanks to everyone for replying.

I suppose my pros and cons are as follows:

Pros (i.e. reasons in favor of moving from the US to the UK)
- Living in or near Europe (depending on your feelings on this very touchy subject) and among cultures with qualities of life built upon centuries of art, architecture, and cuisine, and where beauty, pleasure, and the company of others are highly valued.
- Living away from a society built upon substantially different pillars, including the constitutional or God-given right to own assault weapons, the 60-hour work week with little to no real vacation, strip mall restaurants and Burger King.
- Raising the kid(s) in a country just a quick flight from other countries where different languages are spoken and different traditions observed
- Raising kid(s) where quality public education and equal access to health care are defended as basic rights.
- The thrill of moving some place new.

Cons (i.e. reasons to stay in the US)
- Family is here. It would be great for my parents to be grandparents and to see our kid(s) grow.
- The weather (I'm also in California), the Pacific ocean, and the wild outdoors here.
- I'm an entrepreneur and I know next to nothing about starting businesses in the UK. That said, my businesses running in the US will be fine.

I'm afraid I don't know much about US citizen taxation abroad, but I'd like to know...
Manager
Manager

Re: Americans Moving (Moved) to England/UK [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2010, 12:07
Boy was I in a dark mood yesterday. In case I didn't scare everybody off, I have another question: What do people think about moving from the US to the UK to do a one-year program? Can Americans land a job in the UK at the end of a one year program? Is that enough time to adapt to the system, make contacts, and score a job?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Americans Moving (Moved) to England/UK [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2010, 03:40
I've got a few friends in London from the US WEst Coast - it's a long way from home and they complain quite a lot about rarely getting home to see their family... I run my own business in London and it's tough - expensive and a lot of bureaucracy - although on the flip-side I've got great access to international labour and in a good time zone for international business...
Intern
Intern
Schools: UMD Smith, MSU Broad w/$$, Northeastern w/$$$, PSU Smeal - cancelled int, withdrawn
WE 1: Real Estate - 4 yrs
WE 2: Manufacturing - 1 yr
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: Americans Moving (Moved) to England/UK [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2010, 19:07
Thanks for starting this topic, as I am wrestling with many of the same questions.

Since I'm a single individual who is feeling jaded by American culture, the personal/lifestyle reasons to move to the UK/EU are massively appealing, but obviously the MBA investment must get enough of a return in the job market. Someone out there must have the answers!

skahuh wrote:
What do people think about moving from the US to the UK to do a one-year program? Can Americans land a job in the UK at the end of a one year program? Is that enough time to adapt to the system, make contacts, and score a job?
Manager
Manager

Re: Americans Moving (Moved) to England/UK [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 12:54
Faced with the choice of living in the US and working 60-80 hrs/wk or living in the UK or Europe working 35-37.5 hrs/wk with the disparity in vacation leave, what would you choose? Work/life balance seems elusive for US MBAs, whereas UK MBAs seem to have it made in that sense.

To everyone struggling with this difficult decision: keep us posted! Perhaps we'll even meet up across the pond in the not-too-distant future.

This post inspired by this article from the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-11139960
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

Re: Americans Moving (Moved) to England/UK [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 14:21
skahuh wrote:
Faced with the choice of living in the US and working 60-80 hrs/wk or living in the UK or Europe working 35-37.5 hrs/wk with the disparity in vacation leave, what would you choose? Work/life balance seems elusive for US MBAs, whereas UK MBAs seem to have it made in that sense.

To everyone struggling with this difficult decision: keep us posted! Perhaps we'll even meet up across the pond in the not-too-distant future.

This post inspired by this article from the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-11139960

I have nothing to back this up with, but I cant imagine people post-MBA will be working less than 40 hours a week. Industry, Consulting or Finance, I just cant imagine it. More vacation, or a culture that accepts you actually taking your existing vacation, sure, but 40 hours a week?? Does anyone know someone working post-MBA at 40 hours a week in the UK?
Re: Americans Moving (Moved) to England/UK   [#permalink] 01 Sep 2010, 14:21