Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 20:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Among lower- paid workers, union members are less likely

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 16

Re: Low- paid workers [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2010, 02:56
sreehari1250 wrote:
Among lower- paid workers, union members are less likely than non union members to be enrolled in lower- end insurance plans imposing stricter limits on medical services and requiring doctors to see more patients, and spend less time with each.

(A) imposing stricter limits on medical services and requiring doctors to see more patients, and spend
(B) imposing stricter limits on medical services , requiring doctors to see more patients, and spending
(C) that impose stricter limits on medical services, require doctors to see more patients, and spend
(D) that impose stricter limits on medical services and require doctors to see more patients, spending
(E) that impose stricter limits on medical services, requiring doctors to see more patients and spending

I choose "C" but it is incorrect please explain the correct answer

IMO E
anyone know the source of the question?
it all depends on the meaning, which can only be extracted from the context (ie in what way is the sentence used....)

i find the context problem an issue with a lot of the harder SC gmat questions....ie the way you interpret the question affects your answer....specifically: -

A B eliminate coz we need that
C eliminate because if parallel, the insurance plans spend time on patinets which is not logical
for D and E the context issue comes up....
IMO E is more logical because the insurance plans impose limits and the results (ie -ING) are requiring and spending.....
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Low- paid workers [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2010, 13:46
Ok, lets compare choices D and E.

lower- end insurance plans that impose stricter limits on medical services and require doctors to see more patients, spending less time with each.
or
lower- end insurance plans that impose stricter limits on medical services, requiring doctors to see more patients and spending less time with each.

How do you decide whether the participial modifier in E modifies "insurance plans" (i.e. illogical conclusion that insurance plans are spending less time) but D does not do so.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Re: Low- paid workers [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2010, 21:23
I selected C, but can now see why it's D.

X are more likely than Y to be enrolled in lower-end insurance plans THAT impose A and require B, (which leads to) spending...

If you say C:
X are more likely than Y to be enrolled in lower-end insurance plans THAT impose A, require B, AND spend less time...

The point is the restraints of the lower-end insurance lead to less time spent with patients, it's not an AND scenario.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: USC (Marshall) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.26
WE: Brand Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 5

Re: Low- paid workers [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 01:06
First of all—"that impose" is required, so take out A and B.

Between C, D, and E:
C) parallels everything, but this is wrong. Insurance plans impose limits, insurance plans require doctors to see more patients, and insurance plans spend less time with patients? That last part is nonsensical.
E) A little more sense here, but now -- "imposed limits" "require doctors to see more patients" and "imposed limits" "spend less time with patients." Again, limits cannot spend less time with patients, only doctors can.
D) The cheaper insurance plans now "impose" limits on spending and "require" doctors to see more patients. That part is clear. The non-paralleled "spending" less time with patients modifies "doctors" (that see more patients). Doctors can spend time with patients, limits and insurance plans cannot. So D is correct.

Discipline + Hard Work = Success! 770 (Q50, V46)

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 1

Re: Low- paid workers [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2010, 07:52
if d is the correct answer there should be comma before and require doctors to make the end of parallelism
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 4

Re: Low- paid workers [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2011, 03:50
(D)

(A) imposing stricter limits on medical services and requiring doctors to see more patients, and spend
(B) imposing stricter limits on medical services, requiring doctors to see more patients, and spending
(C) that impose stricter limits on medical services, require doctors to see more patients, and spend
(D) that impose stricter limits on medical services and require doctors to see more patients, spending
(E) that impose stricter limits on medical services, requiring doctors to see more patients and spending

Raptor

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Low- paid workers [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2011, 13:48
I think B . Because all the verbs are parallel

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 51

Re: Low- paid workers [#permalink] New post 18 May 2011, 04:05
'3 activities a)impose stricter limits on medical services b) require doctors to see more patients, and c)spend less time with each.in these a and b are independent and c is dependent on b....
C makes all a ,b ,c independent...... E makes b and c dependent on a..
only D makes a and b are independent and c dependent on b'

D is the right answer therefore.

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-21-2011

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 15

Re: Low- paid workers [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2011, 01:09
Quote:
Among lower- paid workers, union members are less likely than non union members to be enrolled in lower- end insurance plans imposing stricter limits on medical services and requiring doctors to see more patients, and spend less time with each.

(B) imposing stricter limits on medical services , requiring doctors to see more patients, and spending

Answer: D

First strike: 'Imposing' vs 'that impose'. It should be 'that impose'. So, eliminate A and B.

Second strike: Parallelism - 'insurance plans that impose stricter limits...and ...[insurance plans that] require...' --> eliminates E

Third strike: the statement is essentially saying, doctors spend less time with each patient as a result of:
i) the stricter limits, and
ii) the requirement to see more patients
i.e. the last is a resultant of the first two.
So, 'less time with each patient' need not be parallel to 'stricter limits' and 'see more patients'.
In fact, it needs to be non-parallel.

So, we take D as the answer.

Quote:
C says: impose, require, and spend. This says that "insurance plans that impose limits, <insurance plans that> require doctors to see more patients, and <insurance plans that> spend less time with each. That last one has a nonsensical meaning - eliminate.
D says impose and require, spending. This says that "insurance plans that impose limits and <insurance plans that> require doctors to see more patients, spending less time with each." The ", spending" set-up indicates an adverbial modifier. Why are they spending less time with each? Not because they are doctors (noun) or because of the patients (noun), but because the doctors are required to see more patients (clause). Adverbial modifiers modify clauses. So this works.
E says impose, requiring and spending. This says "insurance plans that impose limits, requiring doctors to see more and spending less time with each." The ", requiring... and spending" pieces indicate a compoun adverbial modifier, so the fact that the plans impose limits should result in (a) doctors seeing more patients, and (b) someone (unclear who) spending less time with each. Are the doctors spending less time with the patients? Technically, (a) and (b) should be able to stand completely alone. If I strip out (a), I'm left with "insurance plans that impose stricter limits on medical services, spending less time with each." Who's actually spending less time? I don't know. Meaning is ambiguous - eliminate.
Manhattan GMAT

"The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins." - Bob Moawab

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 12

Re: Low- paid workers [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2011, 04:31
sreehari1250 wrote:

"spending" in an action for "doctors"; spending and requiring are results for "enrolment in lower- end insurance plans"
so we cannot make spending || imposing and requiring.
Only (D) makes this separation.

Thanks and Regards,
GM.

Current Student
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma - Business Honors Society, FINRA Securities Licenses, CA Insurance Licenses
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.47
WE: Sales (Retail Banking)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Low- paid workers [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2011, 08:51
cnrnld wrote:
gsothee wrote:

Spending less time with each is a modifying clause that modifies doctors.
If we use and spend/spending above meaning is lost, and the sentence assumes the below form:-
1.Investment plans impose stricter limits on medical services
2.Investment plans require doctors to see more patients
3.Investment plans spend less time with each. completely nonsensical.

then how about requiring doctors to see more patients, and to spend...?

I think see more and spend are parallel.

I believe "Impose" and "Require" are parallel and are what the insurance companies are doing... while 'spending less time with the patients' is a byproduct of them requiring the doctors to see more patients...

The insurance companies are not directly enforcing the doctors to spend less time with the patients.

Brandon Hoffman
http://www.linkedin.com/in/bdhoffman

Management Leadership of Tomorrow (MLT) - MBA Programs Fellow
MLT LA Chapter - Board Member / Recruiting Officer
Net Impact - Professional Chapter Co-President
MBADiversity Organization - Global Fellow, CHINA

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Re: Among lower- paid workers, union members are less likely [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2012, 04:53
D it is,,,,,,,,

Always get logical predction wrong.........

Any suggestion to improve on it.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Among lower- paid workers, union members are less likely [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2012, 00:00
sreehari1250 wrote:

see parrallesim wrt and secondly see cause effect principle.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 17

Re: Among lower- paid workers, union members are less likely [#permalink] New post 08 May 2012, 02:23
"So, let's start with: what are they modifiying? Nouns or clauses? Something, someone, or some clause is "imposing limits" and "requiring doctors" - what is it? It's the "insurance plans." That's a noun, so we want a noun modifier setup. Those -ing words that introduce modifying phrases or clauses indicate adverbial modifiers, not noun modifiers. Eliminate A. Scan the answer. Eliminate B for repeating the error. "

Can some throw some light on the following concept?

-ing form goes gor adverbial clauses and not noun modifiers... I am confused at this statement, for example, working hard all the times, Joe achieved his goal, ....working...modifies noun...isnt it?

can someone explain me may in lay man terms when to use ing form and when to use that form

Thanks in advance.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 17

Re: Among lower- paid workers, union members are less likely [#permalink] New post 08 May 2012, 07:22
Hi Shraddha, Thanks a lot for the prompt response. Very well articulated response indeed. I always used to get confused when to use that and when to use verb+ing form, but not at least I know that they are both equal and depend more on context which to use, such as this and also based on the elimination of choice. That and verb+ing may not be only difference to make a split. Please confirm.

Can you suggest some material that may help me understand roles played by various modifiers?
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1298

Kudos [?]: 3662 [0], given: 185

Re: Among lower- paid workers, union members are less likely [#permalink] New post 08 May 2012, 07:36
Expert's post
pavanpuneet wrote:
Hi Shraddha, Thanks a lot for the prompt response. Very well articulated response indeed. I always used to get confused when to use that and when to use verb+ing form, but not at least I know that they are both equal and depend more on context which to use, such as this and also based on the elimination of choice. That and verb+ing may not be only difference to make a split. Please confirm.

Can you suggest some material that may help me understand roles played by various modifiers?

Hi there,
Glad to know that you liked the reply. But the fact that it helped you is more heart-warming.

As far as suggesting material is concerned, may I ask you to register yourself at e-gmat.com for free and go through the concepts of preview level 1 that are offered for free. These free concepts include use of Verb-ing modifiers in excruciating details. The other modifiers are covered in the same manner in other paid levels.

Also at e-gmat, we do not talk about splits. We focus on the meaning of the sentence and follow a consistent method to arrive at the correct answer. So check it out for yourself. If you need any help, we are always around. :)

Take care.
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1697 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Among lower- paid workers, union members are less likely [#permalink] New post 08 May 2012, 09:46
Expert's post
Let me put the whole perspective in my own style.

One thing is obvious that there is no comma+ verb- ing format in any of the choices as far as imposing is concerned. In the absence of the comma, the verb- ing modifier imposing right royally modifies the noun it touches namely plans.

That aside let’s then decide how many things the low end insurance plans are doing. Two jobs or three jobs is the critical question whose answer will solve the problem

The low-end schemes are 1. Imposing strict limits and 2. requiring the doctors to see more patients (by spending less time with each). Thus there are only two primary functions namely impose and require. Spending less time is just an offshoot of the second function and can even be ignored. Let us then see case by case, if there are other issues

(A) imposing stricter limits on medical services and requiring doctors to see more patients, and spend: The use of and after patients is antithetical, since it implies that the there are three functions; In addition and has already been used between the two essentials functions of the plan

Though grammatically correct by providing appropriate punctuation and parallelism, it is still antithetical to the original perspective that there are only two functions because the choice talks of three equal functions

Thus, you may see that verb - ing choices in A and B are not fitting in for reasons other than modification.

(C) that impose stricter limits on medical services, require doctors to see more patients, and spend: The separation of spend by an and is antithetical, implying that there are three functions

(D) that impose stricter limits on medical services and require doctors to see more patients, spending: This is perfect. There are only two functions done by the plans and they are promptly separated by an and, pushing the spending to an auxiliary function of the second function

(E) That impose stricter limits on medical services, requiring doctors to see more patients and spending; The list implies that there is only one primary function that imposes strict limits while the other two functions are rendered subordinate to the single primary function, thus distorting the original intent .

It may thus be seen how an answer to one important concept leads to an easy solution

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 18

Re: Among lower- paid workers, union members are less likely [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2012, 04:15
sreehari1250 wrote:

i pick D. according to the meaning of the sentence, doctors can spend less time with each to see more patients. only D legitimates the meaning. correct me if i am wrong

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Analyst (Other)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 37

Re: Among lower- paid workers, union members are less likely [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2012, 23:51
C is incorrect. I read some of the other explanations in this thread, and I feel that people get far too caught up in the idea of complex explanations for these types of problems. Sure, there is a "technical" aspect to this question, but the key is to just do these over and over and over again until you look at a problem like this and realize, "oh, hey, insurance plans don't spend time with patients". No need to explain complex theories about grammar.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Among lower- paid workers, union members are less likely [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 09:01

(A) imposing stricter limits on medical services and requiring doctors to see more patients, and spend --imposing ambiguous
B) imposing stricter limits on medical services , requiring doctors to see more patients, and spending --imposing ambiguous
(C) that impose stricter limits on medical services, require doctors to see more patients, and spend -- "spend" could refer to insurance plans itself distorts sentence
(D) that impose stricter limits on medical services and require doctors to see more patients, spending-- best option
(E) that impose stricter limits on medical services, requiring doctors to see more patients and spending-- not parallel

Though D is the most apropriate option, Consider D in context of the whole sentence..
Among lower- paid workers, union members are less likely than non union members to be enrolled in lower- end insurance plans that impose stricter limits on medical services and require doctors to see more patients, spending less time with each

it is ambiguous which subject the verb (gerund) spending modifies. It could be the subject doctors of the clause " and require doctors to see more patients" or insurance plans?
Re: Among lower- paid workers, union members are less likely   [#permalink] 29 Oct 2012, 09:01