Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 07:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2008, 15:45
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (01:29) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 3 sessions
Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than nonunion members to be enrolled in lower-end insurance plans imposing stricter limits on medical services and requiring doctors to see more patients, and spend less time with each.

(A) ..........
(B) imposing stricter limits on medical services, requiring doctors to see more patients, and spending
(C) that impose stricter limits on medical services, require doctors to see more patients, and spend
(D) that impose stricter limits on medical services and require doctors to see more patients, spending
(E) that impose stricter limits on medical services, requiring doctors to see more patients and spending
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: sc [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2008, 18:21
Great question. where is it from?

I go with E here is why:

first of all, we have to remember that the underlined section of a sentence is ment to modify lower-end insurance plans. what do they (the plans) do? they impose stricter limits on medical services, and that in turn requires doctors to do X (to see more patients) and Y (and to spend less time).

so the logic is this: cheaper plans restrict limits, and 'cos of the former docs see more patients and spend less time with each.

stallone wrote:
Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than nonunion members to be enrolled in lower-end insurance plans imposing stricter limits on medical services and requiring doctors to see more patients, and spend less time with each.

(A) imposing stricter limits on medical services and requiring doctors to see more patients, and spend less time with each.
not parallel

(B) imposing stricter limits on medical services, requiring doctors to see more patients, and spending
if imposing were to modify the low end plans, imposing would have to be preceded by a comma

(C) that impose stricter limits on medical services, require doctors to see more patients, and spend
low end plans that restrict ...., require ..., and spend less time with each. plans don’t spend time with patients

(D) that impose stricter limits on medical services and require doctors to see more patients, spending
the lower end plans do not require doctors to see more patients, the restrictions that the lower end plan sets do

(E) that impose stricter limits on medical services, requiring doctors to see more patients and spending
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2008, 19:34
stallone wrote:

(A) ..........

D for me.

lower-end insurance plans do 2 things:
1)impose stricter limits on medical services
2)require doctors to see more patients

the 2) above makes doctors spend less time with patients.
It is not lower-end insurance plans that spend less time with patients.

A is wrong because the use of 'spend' is incorrect. (as if plans spend less time)

B is wrong for the same reason, though it looks parallel it means all three actions are done by insurance plans.

C is same as B just that it uses base form of verb instead of ing form

D correctly indicates that 1) & 2) above are done by insurance plans and spending less time is outcome of 2)

E indicates that only 1) is done by insurance plans and remaning are outcome of 1)
CEO
CEO
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 500 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2008, 20:47
stallone wrote:

(A) ..........

Agree with D.

"spending less time with each" should modify "that require doctors to see more patients".

In E, "requiring doctors to see more patients and spending less time with each" modifies "that impose stricter limits on medical services". By doing so, "that impose stricter limits on medical services" is also modified by "spending less time with each". This is wrong because "spending less time with each" can logically modify only the doctors not the stricter limits.

This is called illogical modifier. Therefore the meaning of the sentence is changed in E.

So D looks good - a tough one....

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2008, 11:15
hi i feel the aswer to be D as well but the OA mentioned was E

one more reason to eliminate E :

that impose stricter limits on medical services, requiring doctors to see more patients and spending

here even if we consider that requiring is modifying the clause before it , the usage of "spending" is wrong !

"...requiring doctors "to see" ......... and "to spend" ...." for parallelism !!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2008, 11:23
I have seen this question either in gmatpreps or OG but its original GMAC retired question.

I guess if u r not a native speaker this is hard to get. The explanation above makes sense but I would not think of E as a right choice on a real test and would go with D

The one who flies is worthy. The one who is worthy flies. The one who doesn't fly isn't worthy

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2008, 11:51
uf, this is a tough one!!

I picked E

Quote:
that impose stricter limits on medical services, requiring doctors to see more patients and spending

requiring... and spending... are modifing the new medical services

What's the OA and the source?

one guy said it is E and another one D, could you confirm?

Thank you!

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: sc [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2008, 14:13
I think 'impose' is singular verb.

so isn't it only limits medical services and not doctors.

Also medical services require doctors to see more patients and hence spend more time.

I go with E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2008, 14:22
OA is E indeed

The one who flies is worthy. The one who is worthy flies. The one who doesn't fly isn't worthy

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2008, 09:58
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: sc [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2008, 01:52
spiridon wrote:
OA is E indeed

MGMAT people from the above link say OA is D. Where is your OA sorce from?
Re: sc   [#permalink] 24 Nov 2008, 01:52