Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 07:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: low paid workers [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2009, 05:41
tenaman10 wrote:
Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than nonunion members to be enrolled in lower-end insurance plans imposing stricter limits on medical services and requiring doctors to see more patients, and spend less time with each.
(A) imposing stricter limits on medical services and requiring doctors to see more patients, and spend
(B) imposing stricter limits on medical services, requiring doctors to see more patients, and spending
(C) that impose stricter limits on medical services, require doctors to see more patients, and spend
(D) that impose stricter limits on medical services and require doctors to see more patients, spending
(E) that impose stricter limits on medical services, requiring doctors to see more patients and spending

B and C change the meaning

requiring ... and spending ... should modify limits medical services

Thus, E is the best
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: low paid workers [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2009, 05:57
Prometoh wrote:
tenaman10 wrote:
Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than nonunion members to be enrolled in lower-end insurance plans imposing stricter limits on medical services and requiring doctors to see more patients, and spend less time with each.
(A) imposing stricter limits on medical services and requiring doctors to see more patients, and spend
(B) imposing stricter limits on medical services, requiring doctors to see more patients, and spending
(C) that impose stricter limits on medical services, require doctors to see more patients, and spend
(D) that impose stricter limits on medical services and require doctors to see more patients, spending
(E) that impose stricter limits on medical services, requiring doctors to see more patients and spending

B and C change the meaning

requiring ... and spending ... should modify limits medical services

Thus, E is the best

Fix it. The answer should be D

http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/post8323.html
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: low paid workers [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2009, 07:34
got stucked between C and D.

on one side C. parallels impose, require and spend.

On the other side, D. implies a diferent meaning for the setence. Ie the lower end insurance plan that i) impose stricter limits on medical services and ii) require doctors to see more patiants, and spending ....
Spending is modifying doctor, which seems correct but for me the problem is with "and".
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 5

Re: low paid workers [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2010, 08:54
This post received
KUDOS
Option C - Incorrect...lower-end insurance plans that impose..., require.... and spend....you see insurance plans do not spend less time ...so this is an incorrect modification.

Option D - Best IMHO

Option E - Incorrect because....lower-end insurance plans that impose stricter limits on medical services, requiring doctors to see more patients and spend ('spending' is incorrect)... less time with ...

Cheers,

D'oh, I slipped on logic!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 37 [1] , given: 7

Re: low paid workers [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2010, 11:44
This post received
KUDOS
in10sity wrote:
Option C - Incorrect...lower-end insurance plans that impose..., require.... and spend....you see insurance plans do not spend less time ...so this is an incorrect modification.

Option D - Best IMHO

Option E - Incorrect because....lower-end insurance plans that impose stricter limits on medical services, requiring doctors to see more patients and spend ('spending' is incorrect)... less time with ...

Cheers,

agree with in10sity.

D is the least wrong option
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 38

GMAT Tests User
Re: low paid workers [#permalink] New post 18 May 2010, 08:49
aknine wrote:
I would go with option D

A and B are clearly rejected, we are left with C, D and E.
the second part of the sentence gives 2 the features of the insurance plan:
- Imposing stricter limits on medical services
- require doctors to see more patients.
because seeing more patients in less time indicates spending less time with each, we don't need to separate the two by 'and' because they invariably mean the same.
So, the 2 features are separated by 'and' and the following by a comma.

Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than nonunion members to be enrolled in lower-end insurance plans that impose stricter limits on medical services and require doctors to see more patients, spending less time with each.

Nice explanation.

Would A be correct if the comma in "requiring doctors to see more patients, and spend" is removed?

I don't see why "that" is required here.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: low paid workers [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2010, 01:57
option E is clearly out....because though it seems to be parallel it is actually not.

it would be correct, if it were: requiring doctors to see more patients and to spend less time with each.

"requiring doctors to see....and spending less....." is not parallel in any way.

So D is correct.

The download available for brutal70 has incorrect question. The question discussed here and the one in the download have differing option D. I got it wrong because of that...i just realized :wtf: :wtf:
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: low paid workers [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2010, 02:06
calvinhobbes wrote:
aknine wrote:
I would go with option D

because seeing more patients in less time indicates spending less time with each, we don't need to separate the two by 'and' because they invariably mean the same.

Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than nonunion members to be enrolled in lower-end insurance plans that impose stricter limits on medical services and require doctors to see more patients, spending less time with each.

Nice explanation.

Would A be correct if the comma in "requiring doctors to see more patients, and spend" is removed?

Hi,

'That' is required because we are talking about the plan and its effects.
that/which should modify plan here and not the ongoing action or the subject

Therefore,
union member enroll in plans that/which impose

And not

union members enroll in plans imposing...... ==> union members are imposing
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 379 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: low paid workers [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2010, 02:17
No doubt D yeah 8-)

Who wrote SC must be thoroughly convinced with gmat is not easy to kill :lol:

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Stanford '13 (D)
GPA: 3.11
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 28

Re: low paid workers [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2010, 04:43
still not clear....I went with E

Re-taking GMAT. Hope the charm works this time.. :)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: low paid workers [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2010, 00:57
papillon86 wrote:
calvinhobbes wrote:
aknine wrote:
I would go with option D

Nice explanation.

Hi,

'That' is required because we are talking about the plan and its effects.
that/which should modify plan here and not the ongoing action or the subject

Therefore,
union member enroll in plans that/which impose

And not

union members enroll in plans imposing...... ==> union members are imposing

Manager, Hi!

Could you, please, help me with this "A" issue. Here is the problem - probably because of my lack of grammar, I don't understand why "imposing stricter limits" can't modify plans. For me, "plans imposing stricter limits and ..." is fine. What plans - plans imposing limits. So the only thing I see wrong about "A" is the comma, but it's not enough. Could you please clarify what I'm getting wrong. You have mentioned that "imposing" modifies "unions", and this comment is probably is the key, but I still don't understand it.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Admitted: IESE($$),HEC, RSM,Esade
WE 1: 3.5 years international
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: low paid workers [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2010, 02:41
tenaman10 wrote:

I will go for C.
A and B are eliminated because you need "that" in this clause, otherwise it sounds like its the plans which are imposing thses rules rather than the peopl who came up with these plans.
D is incorrect, because the last part "spending less time with each" is not even a sentence as it misses the verb and the -Ing form itself cannot be used as a verb.
E is incorrect because it is what we call superfiaicial parallelism. Its incorrect because all three parallel elements should have equal weightage, instead of the last two being a subordinatinate to the first one.
C correctly uses "that" to create perfect parallelism.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 12

Re: low paid workers [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 08:00
and I'm really fond of seeing a problem which is 700 level and at the same time sub 600!
which of the following statements best resolves the ....
;)
VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: low paid workers [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2010, 23:02
Option D rules.
Require and spending form a separate sentence alltogether.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: low paid workers [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2011, 03:49
(D)

Raptor

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: low paid workers [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2011, 03:52
(D)

Raptor

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: SPG
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 254 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: low paid workers [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2011, 02:30

plans THAT
impose ..
require ..
spend ...

the verbs should be 'logically parallel' and not just simply parallel. impose and require are fine, but what about spend. do plans spend? of course not, spend is not logically parallel.

'plans THAT require doctors to see more patients, spending less time with each'
CORRECT

press kudos, if you like the explanation, appreciate the effort or encourage people to respond.

Download the Ultimate SC Flashcards

Current Student
Nationality: Indian
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q V0
GPA: 3.36

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 18

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: low paid workers [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2011, 23:27
tejal777 wrote:
Could somebody please explain why exactly is A akward??Stuck between A and D:(

A sounds like insurance plans are "spending less time with each". Note the commas and the 'and' conjunction.
Current Student
Nationality: Indian
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q V0
GPA: 3.36

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 18

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: low paid workers [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2011, 23:28
I wrongly selected C too. Need to be more careful with parallelism.
D is the correct answer.

You have to have a darkness...for the dawn to come.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: low paid workers [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2011, 05:51
papillon86 is correct the download has a different option D so make sure you see the correct option before choosing, E is definitely wrong
Re: low paid workers   [#permalink] 28 Aug 2011, 05:51