Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 01:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
12 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [12] , given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than [#permalink] New post 21 May 2009, 04:48
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

45% (01:43) correct 55% (00:51) wrong based on 986 sessions
Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than nonunion members to be enrolled in lower-end insurance plans imposing stricter limits on medical services and requiring doctors to see more patients, and spend less time with each.
(A) imposing stricter limits on medical services and requiring doctors to see more patients, and spend
(B) imposing stricter limits on medical services, requiring doctors to see more patients, and spending
(C) that impose stricter limits on medical services, require doctors to see more patients, and spend
(D) that impose stricter limits on medical services and require doctors to see more patients, spending
(E) that impose stricter limits on medical services, requiring doctors to see more patients and spending
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

"CEO in making"

Last edited by mau5 on 30 Jul 2013, 09:51, edited 1 time in total.
Added the OA
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 99

GMAT Tests User
Re: low paid workers [#permalink] New post 21 May 2009, 05:49
tenaman10 wrote:
Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than nonunion members to be enrolled in lower-end insurance plans imposing stricter limits on medical services and requiring doctors to see more patients, and spend less time with each.
(A) imposing stricter limits on medical services and requiring doctors to see more patients, and spend
(B) imposing stricter limits on medical services, requiring doctors to see more patients, and spending
(C) that impose stricter limits on medical services, require doctors to see more patients, and spend
(D) that impose stricter limits on medical services and require doctors to see more patients, spending
(E) that impose stricter limits on medical services, requiring doctors to see more patients and spending

need a 'that' here so C, D, and E are left.
I think E wins.

IMO E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: low paid workers [#permalink] New post 21 May 2009, 15:41
I will go with C , i think all the activities are equal - impose, require and spend.

Always tag your question

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 11

Re: low paid workers [#permalink] New post 21 May 2009, 18:12
IMO E

Superficial Parallelism in play.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: low paid workers [#permalink] New post 21 May 2009, 18:59
(C) is my choice , can some one please explain why it is not if you think other wise?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: low paid workers [#permalink] New post 22 May 2009, 03:41
at time we focus too much in fixing errors and lose sense of overall sentence ..pls rethink ..
ichha148 wrote:
I will go with C , i think all the activities are equal - impose, require and spend.

"CEO in making"

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: low paid workers [#permalink] New post 22 May 2009, 03:43
give thought to placement of "and" again
ugimba wrote:
tenaman10 wrote:

need a 'that' here so C, D, and E are left.
I think E wins.

IMO E.

"CEO in making"

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 11

Re: low paid workers [#permalink] New post 22 May 2009, 05:12
ManU24 wrote:
(C) is my choice , can some one please explain why it is not if you think other wise?

If we choose option C, then we are assuming that there are three different activities. Whereas, option E says, there is one activity that encompasses two other activities.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: low paid workers [#permalink] New post 23 May 2009, 18:55
C.

I appreciate that you are paralleling three items. I think that's fine.

Is OA E?

-talent is the desire to practice-

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
low paid workers [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2009, 21:38
Can someone explain whats the correct usage?

OA according to the Brutal SC post is D. which I feel is wrong?

Does anyone has a better explanation ??
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: low paid workers [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2009, 23:03
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I would go with option D

A and B are clearly rejected, we are left with C, D and E.
the second part of the sentence gives 2 the features of the insurance plan:
- Imposing stricter limits on medical services
- require doctors to see more patients.
because seeing more patients in less time indicates spending less time with each, we don't need to separate the two by 'and' because they invariably mean the same.
So, the 2 features are separated by 'and' and the following by a comma.

Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than nonunion members to be enrolled in lower-end insurance plans that impose stricter limits on medical services and require doctors to see more patients, spending less time with each.

"Always....Read between the lines"

Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 106

GMAT Tests User
Re: low paid workers [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2009, 00:10
D for me.

spending is modifying the doctor.

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: low paid workers [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2009, 01:12
Agree with explanations for D, ...require doctors to see more patients, therefore spending less time with each.

Las cualidades del agua...porque el agua no olvida que su destino es el mar, y que tarde o temprano deberá llegar a él.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: low paid workers [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2009, 10:42
i m sure ..if it were there in the exam... i would have done wrong... :cry:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Nonprofit, Strategy
GPA: 3.42
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: low paid workers [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2009, 17:23
duh...didn't notice there is no comma before and in D...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: low paid workers [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2009, 18:17
tenaman10 wrote:

E is wrong because it reads as if its the stricter limits on medical services that are requiring doctors to see more patients versus D, which is correct, distinguish that its the lower end insurance plans that require doctors to see more patients. I didn't get it at first after carefully reading it I was able to see where the problem lies.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: low paid workers [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2009, 18:29
For option D, it is not immediately clear what the last part of the sentence is modifying.

I would still go with E during the test because for docs to see more patients, it does not imply that the doctors will spend less time with the patients. Perhaps the docs work overtime?
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: NUS, NTU, SMU, AGSM, Melbourne School of Business
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 53 [3] , given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: low paid workers [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2009, 02:21
This post received
KUDOS
tenaman10 wrote:

Low-end Insurance plans only impose stricter limits, however it cannot command doctor to see more patients or less. All the above tells the same except for E, which says that due to stricter limits and not due to low end insurance plans, doctors have to see more patients Similarly, it is not Insurance plans that spend less time, but its the doctor who spends less time.

Hence, IMO E.

GMAT offended me. Now, its my turn!
Will do anything for Kudos! Please feel free to give one. :)

Director
Director
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 100

GMAT Tests User
Re: low paid workers [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2009, 17:49
Could somebody please explain why exactly is A akward??Stuck between A and D:(

countdown-beginshas-ended-85483-40.html#p649902

3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 166 [3] , given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: low paid workers [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2009, 18:16
This post received
KUDOS
tejal777 wrote:
Could somebody please explain why exactly is A akward??Stuck between A and D:(

I think it is a classic case of "command subjunctive". Impose and Require are BOSSY words, which always require word "that" in the sentence. A is wrong as it lacks the word "that". :)

Also the use of -ing participle "imposing" wrongly suggests that union/nonunion members are imposing the stricter norms than the insurance plans. One more reason to strike out A.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Re: low paid workers   [#permalink] 18 Oct 2009, 18:16