Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Aug 2014, 01:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Among people experience migraine headaches, some experience

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Among people experience migraine headaches, some experience [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 04:06
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

78% (02:05) correct 22% (01:17) wrong based on 571 sessions
Among people experience migraine headaches, some experience what doctors call"common" migraines, whereas others experience "classical" migraines. Siblings and spouses of common migraine sufferers are themselves twice as likely as the general population to experience common migraines. Siblings of classical migraine sufferers are four times more likely than the general population to experience classical migraines, whereas spouses of classical migraine suferers are no more likely than the general population to experience such headaches.

The information above provides the most support for which of the following hypotheses?

(A) Susceptibility to classical migraines is more dependent on hereditary factors than is susceptibility to common migraines.
(B) Unmarried adults are more likely to suffer from classical migraines than they are to suffer from common migraines.
(C) People who do not experience migraine headaches are unlikely to have spouses who are migraine headache sufferers.
(D) Children of people who suffer from common migraines are more likely than the general population to experience a common migraine.
(E) Between one-quarter and one-half of the general population suffer from either common or classical migraine headaches.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: common vs. classical migraines [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 04:11
A?
OA ?
SVP
SVP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: common vs. classical migraines [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 05:20
A for me as well
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: common vs. classical migraines [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 05:25
lexis wrote:
Among people experience migraine headaches, some experience what doctors call"common" migraines, whereas others experience "classical" migraines. Siblings and spouses of common migraine sufferers are themselves twice as likely as the general population to experience common migraines. Siblings of classical migraine sufferers are four times more likely than the general population to experience classical migraines, whereas spouses of classical migraine suferers are no more likely than the general population to experience such headaches.

The information above provides the most support for which of the following hypotheses?

A)Susceptibility to classical migraines is more dependent on hereditary factors than is susceptibility to common migraines.
B)Unmarried adults are more likely to suffer from classical migraines than they are to suffer from common migraines.
C)People who do not experience migraine headaches are unlikely to have spouses who are migraine headache sufferers.
D)Children of people who suffer from common migraines are more likely than the general population to experience a common migraine.
E)Between one-quarter and one-half of the general population suffer from either common or classical migraine headaches.

A is very straightforward here. Since classical migraine affects the siblings too, it shows that it's genetically linked.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: common vs. classical migraines [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 06:25
lexis wrote:

A)Susceptibility to classical migraines is more dependent on hereditary factors than is susceptibility to common migraines.
B)Unmarried adults are more likely to suffer from classical migraines than they are to suffer from common migraines. (stem does not differentiate unmarried and married adults so this is not relevant)
C)People who do not experience migraine headaches are unlikely to have spouses who are migraine headache sufferers. (stem does not talk about it)
D)Children of people who suffer from common migraines are more likely than the general population to experience a common migraine. (again the stem does not say anything like this)
E)Between one-quarter and one-half of the general population suffer from either common or classical migraine headaches.
There is nothing in the stem from which we can infer this

IMO A is the answer . i arrived at my answer by chosing POE

The world is continuous, but the mind is discrete

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: CR: common vs. classical migraines [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 08:14
To me both A & D sound right, but as D doesnt include classical migraine in it, A seems to be a more inclusive answer and hence better.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: common vs. classical migraines [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 20:39
Another in for A.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: common vs. classical migraines [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 20:44
Will go with A....since this is a hypotheses and not a support question ...in which case it could have been D.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: common vs. classical migraines [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2008, 06:27
GO with A. THe passage supports only A and I'd be suprised if I'm wrong on this one. Thanks!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: common vs. classical migraines [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2008, 14:14
whats the OA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: common vs. classical migraines [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2008, 21:26
OA is A
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: common vs. classical migraines [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2010, 05:05
I will go with A

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 15

Re: CR: common vs. classical migraines [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2010, 05:59
agree with A

pls kudos if you're satisfied with the reply

Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS, Harvard, Booth, Stanford, ISB, NTU
WE 1: S/W Engineer

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 15

Re: CR: common vs. classical migraines [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2010, 06:41
Another one for A. :-) This is a straight forward answer, isn't it?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: common vs. classical migraines [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2010, 10:14
I also assume that A is the correct answer.

If you like my posts please consider giving me KUDOS!!!!!!!!!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: common vs. classical migraines [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2010, 10:47
A for me
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: CR: common vs. classical migraines [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 01:22
I was doubting between A and D.
Finally I choose D....the wrong one!
Can anybody explain why this one cannot be the right answer?
6 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 16 [6] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: common vs. classical migraines [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 04:12
This post received
KUDOS
The correct answer is A. Here is why:

When I started to read this stimulus, I can tell that the author wants you to make distinction between siblings and spouse. The first sentence doesn't really help but the key to this question is the last sentence. There's a distinction and comparison between siblings of classical migraine sufferers and spouse of classical migraine sufferers. Author posits that siblings of classical migraine sufferers are four times more likely than general population to experience classical migraine. On the other hand, spouse of classical migraine sufferers are no more likely than general population to experience classical migraine. If you understand this then it should be clear why A is correct. A is synonymous to the last sentence of the passage, the author just puts it in a different or perhaps more convoluted way to catch the test takers.

Why D is incorrect? The prompt only talks about siblings (brother & sister) and spouses (husband/wives) of the migraine sufferers. The author never talk about children of migraine sufferers, therefore choice D could be true but not must be true. We need more information. However, answer choice A must be true, this is why A is correct.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: CR: common vs. classical migraines [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 22:35
Thank you so much for the explanation.
In fact my mistake came from the word siblings. I was not very sure about the meaning and though that it includes the children as well as some other members of the family of one person. Now it's very clear for me why the answer is A.
Thanks again!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: common vs. classical migraines [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 22:46
Got A from POE. I guess whatever works. All others may very well not hold.
Re: CR: common vs. classical migraines   [#permalink] 07 Jul 2010, 22:46