Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 04:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Among the employees of a certain company, 52 percent of the

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 May 2009
Posts: 155
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 89

GMAT ToolKit User
Among the employees of a certain company, 52 percent of the [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2013, 11:36
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

84% (02:14) correct 16% (01:38) wrong based on 81 sessions
Among the employees of a certain company, 52 percent of the employees are male and 48 percent are female. In this company 70 percent of the male employees are married and 50 percent of the female employees are married. If one employee in the company is randomly selected, approximately what is the probability that he or she is NOT married?

(A) 0.3
(B) 0.4
(C) 0.5
(D) 0.6
(E) 0.7

Source: GMAT Hacks 1800
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

New to GMAT Club? Start here

Kindle Flashcards - Quant (Official Gmat Club, miguemick's Quant topics), and Verbal (Official Gmat Club) - in Kindle (azw3) format

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
3 KUDOS received
GMAT Instructor
avatar
Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 967
Location: Toronto
Followers: 253

Kudos [?]: 652 [3] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Among the employees of a certain company, 52 percent of the [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2013, 12:58
3
This post received
KUDOS
The question only asks for an approximation, so we can round things off a bit. Estimating, about half of the employees are men, and half are women. So if 70% of men and 50% of women are married, then 60% of all people must be married. So 40% are not, and the answer is B.
_________________

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Expert Post
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 2367
Followers: 266

Kudos [?]: 2242 [0], given: 690

Re: Among the employees of a certain company, 52 percent of the [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2013, 13:35
Expert's post
IanStewart wrote:
The question only asks for an approximation, so we can round things off a bit. Estimating, about half of the employees are men, and half are women. So if 70% of men and 50% of women are married, then 60% of all people must be married. So 40% are not, and the answer is B.



The first post I ever seen from you:) Sir.

Amazing how you have attacked the question: weighted average and in no more of 20 seconds to answer the question. :roll:
_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension
7. MY VERBAL QUESTION BANK

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Jan 2013
Posts: 81
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 6

Re: Among the employees of a certain company, 52 percent of the [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2013, 17:15
Much faster: draw 4 quadrants
______________Male (52%) _____ Female (48%)
Married :__________70%____________50%
Not Married:_______30%____________50%

Therefore: the probability of picking one random person Not Married (he or she) is: 0,52 x 0,30 + 0,50 x 0,50 = 0,15 + 0,25 (approx.)
Solution: approx. 0,4 (answer B)
_________________

Does this post deserve KUDOS?

Free Prep: Self-prepare GMAT for free and GMAT Math tips for free
Free Flashcards: Free GMAT Flashcards

More: "All I wish someone had told me about GMAT beforehand"
There are many things you want to know before doing the GMAT exam (how is exam day, what to expect, how to think, to do's...), and you have them in this blog, in a simple way

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 19036
Followers: 3361

Kudos [?]: 24445 [1] , given: 2677

Re: Among the employees of a certain company, 52 percent of the [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2013, 23:48
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
megafan wrote:
Among the employees of a certain company, 52 percent of the employees are male and 48 percent are female. In this company 70 percent of the male employees are married and 50 percent of the female employees are married. If one employee in the company is randomly selected, approximately what is the probability that he or she is NOT married?

(A) 0.3
(B) 0.4
(C) 0.5
(D) 0.6
(E) 0.7

Source: GMAT Hacks 1800


Another "stolen" question.

Original GMAT Prep question:
Quote:
In the graduating class of a certain college, 48 percent of the students are male and 52 percent are female. In this class 40 percent of the male and 20 percent of the female students are 25 years old or older. If one student in the class is randomly selected, approximately what is the probability that he or she will be less than 25 years old?

A. 0.9
B. 0.7
C. 0.45
D. 0.3
E. 0.25


Discussed here: in-the-graduating-class-of-a-certain-college-48-percent-of-129382.html
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 May 2009
Posts: 155
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 89

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Among the employees of a certain company, 52 percent of the [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2013, 11:04
Bunuel wrote:
Another "stolen" question.



All of his 1800 questions are "stolen" from OG, GMATPrep, Paper Tests etc.. but all are "GMAT-like" questions, that's why they are better.

I'm not sure if you've taken the GMAT yet, but I am really curious to know if the Real GMAT questions are "stolen" from GMAT Prep, OG etc.. or I'm guessing they are very similar. Is that true?
_________________

New to GMAT Club? Start here

Kindle Flashcards - Quant (Official Gmat Club, miguemick's Quant topics), and Verbal (Official Gmat Club) - in Kindle (azw3) format

2 KUDOS received
GMAT Instructor
avatar
Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 967
Location: Toronto
Followers: 253

Kudos [?]: 652 [2] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Among the employees of a certain company, 52 percent of the [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2013, 12:01
2
This post received
KUDOS
megafan wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Another "stolen" question.



All of his 1800 questions are "stolen" from OG, GMATPrep, Paper Tests etc.. but all are "GMAT-like" questions, that's why they are better.

I'm not sure if you've taken the GMAT yet, but I am really curious to know if the Real GMAT questions are "stolen" from GMAT Prep, OG etc.. or I'm guessing they are very similar. Is that true?


In my experience, no, that's not true at all. I mostly have experience only with the higher level questions on the real test, but I find on the real GMAT they find all kinds of inventive and unfamiliar ways to test the same basic concepts you've seen in the OG and GMATPrep. The questions are certainly not simple copies of OG questions with a few numbers changed. So to do well on the GMAT, you need a strong enough conceptual foundation that you can adapt to whatever new question setups you see on test day.

I find questions like the one in this thread to be of almost no value to test takers. You won't learn anything more by studying this question than you would learn by studying its GMATPrep equivalent, and of course you should be studying all of the official questions you can find. I certainly don't think this question is worth paying money for. Unfortunately, it seems to be an increasingly common practice in GMAT test prep circles - companies want to advertise that they have thousands of questions, but when the questions are essentially identical to what you find in the OG or GMATPrep, they really aren't worth very much.
_________________

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jul 2011
Posts: 213
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 13

Re: Among the employees of a certain company, 52 percent of the [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 10:43
Total Males = 52
Total Female = 48
Total = 100

Not married Male = 30% = 15.6
Not marries Female = 50% = 24
Total = 39.6

Probability = 39.6/100 = .396 = apprx .4

hence B
Expert Post
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 2367
Followers: 266

Kudos [?]: 2242 [0], given: 690

Re: R: Among the employees of a certain company, 52 percent of t [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 02:57
Expert's post
IanStewart wrote:
megafan wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Another "stolen" question.



All of his 1800 questions are "stolen" from OG, GMATPrep, Paper Tests etc.. but all are "GMAT-like" questions, that's why they are better.

I'm not sure if you've taken the GMAT yet, but I am really curious to know if the Real GMAT questions are "stolen" from GMAT Prep, OG etc.. or I'm guessing they are very similar. Is that true?


In my experience, no, that's not true at all. I mostly have experience only with the higher level questions on the real test, but I find on the real GMAT they find all kinds of inventive and unfamiliar ways to test the same basic concepts you've seen in the OG and GMATPrep. The questions are certainly not simple copies of OG questions with a few numbers changed. So to do well on the GMAT, you need a strong enough conceptual foundation that you can adapt to whatever new question setups you see on test day.

I find questions like the one in this thread to be of almost no value to test takers. You won't learn anything more by studying this question than you would learn by studying its GMATPrep equivalent, and of course you should be studying all of the official questions you can find. I certainly don't think this question is worth paying money for. Unfortunately, it seems to be an increasingly common practice in GMAT test prep circles - companies want to advertise that they have thousands of questions, but when the questions are essentially identical to what you find in the OG or GMATPrep, they really aren't worth very much.



completely agree with Ian : it's like to do 3+2 with OG and 2+3 with a prep company book....... basically the same. after a while is difficult to improve

Inviato dal mio Nexus 4 con Tapatalk 2
_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension
7. MY VERBAL QUESTION BANK

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 11 Dec 2012
Posts: 313
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 66

Re: R: Among the employees of a certain company, 52 percent of t [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 10:23
Expert's post
carcass wrote:
IanStewart wrote:

In my experience, no, that's not true at all. I mostly have experience only with the higher level questions on the real test, but I find on the real GMAT they find all kinds of inventive and unfamiliar ways to test the same basic concepts you've seen in the OG and GMATPrep. The questions are certainly not simple copies of OG questions with a few numbers changed. So to do well on the GMAT, you need a strong enough conceptual foundation that you can adapt to whatever new question setups you see on test day.

I find questions like the one in this thread to be of almost no value to test takers. You won't learn anything more by studying this question than you would learn by studying its GMATPrep equivalent, and of course you should be studying all of the official questions you can find. I certainly don't think this question is worth paying money for. Unfortunately, it seems to be an increasingly common practice in GMAT test prep circles - companies want to advertise that they have thousands of questions, but when the questions are essentially identical to what you find in the OG or GMATPrep, they really aren't worth very much.



completely agree with Ian : it's like to do 3+2 with OG and 2+3 with a prep company book....... basically the same. after a while is difficult to improve

Inviato dal mio Nexus 4 con Tapatalk 2


I'll stay away from the whole stolen/not stolen debate, but I would like to add that modifying questions can be very helpful in thoroughly understanding concepts. I wouldn't say 3+2 and 2+3, because that's essentially the same question, just as changing 50% to 40% doesn't change anything in the method, only the calculations.

However, imagine if the information was the same, but the question asked for the probability of a married male, or an unmarried female. Or the probability of picking two people who weren't married, or picking two with at least one of the two being married. There are so many possible ways to modify the question that properly understanding the concepts is the only way to get them all. Changing one percentage for another doesn't add any value, but I believe that looking at the question from a different angle can help shore up common misconceptions and foster stronger understanding of core concepts.

Hope this helps!
-Ron
_________________

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: R: Among the employees of a certain company, 52 percent of t   [#permalink] 20 Mar 2013, 10:23
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic Of the 200 employees in a certain company, 25 percent will enigma123 6 26 Feb 2012, 14:29
At a certain company, 25 percent of the employees are male ajit257 5 05 Jan 2011, 17:37
Forty percent of the employees of Company A are females, and TheRob 4 28 Aug 2009, 06:00
At a certain company, 25 percent of the employees are male mymba99 2 30 Apr 2008, 17:22
40 percent of the employees at a certain company are male. nakib77 7 10 Nov 2005, 06:51
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Among the employees of a certain company, 52 percent of the

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.