Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 01:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Among the more effective kinds of publicity

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Among the more effective kinds of publicity [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2013, 18:06
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

45% (02:36) correct 55% (01:55) wrong based on 326 sessions
Among the more effective kinds of publicity that publishers can get for a new book is to have excerpts of it published in a high-circulation magazine soon before the book is published. The benefits of such excerption include not only a sure increase in sales but also a fee paid by the magazine to the book's publisher.

Which of the following conclusions is best supported by the information above?

A) The number of people for whom seeing an excerpt of a book in a magazine provides an adequate substitute for reading the whole book is smaller than the number for whom the excerpt stimulates a desire to read the book.
B) Because the financial advantage of excerpting a new book in a magazine usually accrues to the book's publisher, magazine editors are unwilling to publish excerpts from new books.
C) In calculating the total number of copies that a book has sold, publishers include sales of copies of magazines that featured an excerpt of the book.
D) The effectiveness of having excerpts of a book published in a magazine, measured in terms of increased sales of a book, is proportional to the circulation of the magazine in which the excerpts are published.
E) Books that are suitable for excerpting in high-circulation magazines sell more copies than book that are not suitable for excerpting.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Intern
Intern

Re: Among the more effective kinds of publicity [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2013, 18:11
I agree that A is the most relevant one among the 5 options.
But, I still don't understand the relationship between the passage and A because A seems like assumption or evidence to support the passage, not the conclusion supported by the passage.

Any explanation would be appreciated!!
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 113

Kudos [?]: 1192 [0], given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Among the more effective kinds of publicity [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2013, 22:00
joonhy wrote:
But, I still don't understand the relationship between the passage and A because A seems like assumption or evidence to support the passage, not the conclusion supported by the passage.

Among the more effective kinds of publicity that publishers can get for a new book is to have excerpts of it published in a high-circulation magazine soon before the book is published.

The benefits of such excerption include not only a sure increase in sales but also a fee paid by the magazine to the book's publisher.

The benefits include increase in sales
A) The number of people for whom seeing an excerpt of a book in a magazine provides an adequate substitute for reading the whole book is smaller than the number for whom the excerpt stimulates a desire to read the book.==> What does this mean?
If the number of people stimulated to buy the book is greater compared to the number of people discouraged to buy the book (because consider "excerpt of a book an adequate substitute for reading") the sales will increase.
This is supported by the passage, because correspond to the one of the benefits of the publicity.

Hope it helps.

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1153

Kudos [?]: 5366 [1] , given: 165

Re: Among the more effective kinds of publicity [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2013, 22:29
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
joonhy wrote:

Actually (A) is an inference from the passage. You can infer/conclude it if what is given in the argument is correct.

The author says that publishing an excerpt is effective. Sales increases and you get a fee.
Since we are given that sales increases, this means that more people buy the book if you publish an excerpt. So even if there are people who do not buy the book after publishing an excerpt because the excerpt is enough for them, there are more people who buy the book because they get tantalized by the excerpt. Only then will the sales rise when you publish an excerpt.

I would like to point out that there is an assumption here in (A): The assumption is that the people for whom seeing an excerpt of a book in a magazine provides an adequate substitute for reading the whole book would have bought the book had they not read the excerpt. But since no other option comes close to being a conclusion, (A) is the best choice.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Re: Among the more effective kinds of publicity [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2013, 18:50
Thanks a lot! I think I was too focused on the term "conclusion". :)
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 136

Kudos [?]: 1374 [2] , given: 122

Re: Among the more effective kinds of publicity [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2013, 23:35
This post received
KUDOS
joonhy wrote:
Among the more effective kinds of publicity that publishers can get for a new book is to have excerpts of it published in a high-circulation magazine soon before the book is published. The benefits of such excerption include not only a sure increase in sales but also a fee paid by the magazine to the book's publisher.

A) The number of people for whom seeing an excerpt of a book in a magazine provides an adequate substitute for reading the whole book is smaller than the number for whom the excerpt stimulates a desire to read the book.
B) Because the financial advantage of excerpting a new book in a magazine usually accrues to the book's publisher, magazine editors are unwilling to publish excerpts from new books.
C) In calculating the total number of copies that a book has sold, publishers include sales of copies of magazines that featured an excerpt of the book.
D) The effectiveness of having excerpts of a book published in a magazine, measured in terms of increased sales of a book, is proportional to the circulation of the magazine in which the excerpts are published.
E) Books that are suitable for excerpting in high-circulation magazines sell more copies than book that are not suitable for excerpting.

ANALYZE THE STIMULUS:

Fact: Among the more effective kinds of publicity that publishers can get for a new book is to have excerpts of it published in a high-circulation magazine soon before the book is published.
Fact: The benefits of such excerption include not only a sure increase in sales but also a fee paid by the magazine to the book's publisher.

ANALYZE EACH ANSWER:

Correct. KEY words in the stimulus are “increase in sales”. ==> when people read the excerpts, they desire to read a whole book ==> They will buy the book ==> sales increase.

Wrong. Totally wrong, the stimulus does not say “magazine editor unwilling to publish excerpts”.

Wrong. Nothing about the formula to calculate the total number of copies sold.

Wrong. Nothing about the relationship “effectiveness of having excerpts is proportional to the circulation of the magazine”.

Wrong. TEMPTING. Even though the books that are suitable for excerpting in high-circulation magazine can increase sales, the stimulus DOES NOT say they sell more copies than other books.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT Date: 09-12-2013

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 14

Re: Among the more effective kinds of publicity [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2013, 11:27
Zarrolou wrote:
joonhy wrote:

Among the more effective kinds of publicity that publishers can get for a new book is to have excerpts of it published in a high-circulation magazine soon before the book is published.

The benefits of such excerption include not only a sure increase in sales but also a fee paid by the magazine to the book's publisher.

A) The number of people for whom seeing an excerpt of a book in a magazine provides an adequate substitute for reading the whole book is smaller than the number for whom the excerpt stimulates a desire to read the book.==> What does this mean?
If the number of people stimulated to buy the book is greater compared to the number of people discouraged to buy the book (because consider "excerpt of a book an adequate substitute for reading") the sales will increase.
This is supported by the passage, because correspond to the one of the benefits of the publicity.

Hope it helps.

i m confused between A and E.............. :( :(
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 5366 [1] , given: 165

Re: Among the more effective kinds of publicity [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2013, 21:37
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
anilvb wrote:
Zarrolou wrote:
joonhy wrote:

Hope it helps.

i m confused between A and E.............. :( :(

The reason (E) is not correct:

(E) Books that are suitable for excerpting in high-circulation magazines sell more copies than book that are not suitable for excerpting. - Incorrect

The argument tells you that actual excerption (not excerption suitability) increases sales. Also the comparison "higher" is of the sales of the same book "after excerpt" with "before excerpt". The comparison is not with books whose excerpt is not published or which are not suitable for excerption. Say, a J K Rowling book which is not suitable for excerption will have higher sales than most other books even after they publish excerpts wildly.
Note that the argument only says that if you publish an excerpt, the sales will be higher. Just being suitable for excerption does not increase sales. The point is that books suitable for excerpting COULD sell more copies (compared to what they will sell if they don't publish excerpts).

Karishma
My Blog

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q49 V38
WE: Design (Transportation)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 81

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Among the more effective kinds of publicity [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2014, 21:18
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
joonhy wrote:

Actually (A) is an inference from the passage. You can infer/conclude it if what is given in the argument is correct.

The author says that publishing an excerpt is effective. Sales increases and you get a fee.
Since we are given that sales increases, this means that more people buy the book if you publish an excerpt. So even if there are people who do not buy the book after publishing an excerpt because the excerpt is enough for them, there are more people who buy the book because they get tantalized by the excerpt. Only then will the sales rise when you publish an excerpt.

I would like to point out that there is an assumption here in (A): The assumption is that the people for whom seeing an excerpt of a book in a magazine provides an adequate substitute for reading the whole book would have bought the book had they not read the excerpt. But since no other option comes close to being a conclusion, (A) is the best choice.

Thanks for pointing it out. I was stuck at the same point. My analysis was that let's say 10 people are wiling to buy the book in the beginning, and the excerpt is released to a magazine that is read by 100 people. 60 people are discouraged to buy and 40 are encouraged --> this fact refutes option A but still increases the sale.

My question here is, what if questions like these (with an underlying assumption not so evident) appear in GMAT? is there a way around or do we just rely on our instinct?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 46

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Among the more effective kinds of publicity [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2014, 02:05
Karishma , although you have explained before but still I fail to understand how come A which is clearly an assumption for the argument be the conclusion ? I would have expected D to be a logical conclusion which relates the circulation of the magazine in which article is appearing to the increased sales. Extrapolating this relation to the logical extremities , if the circulation of magazine is zero ( i.e. no excerpts published in any magazine) , then no increased sale ( i.e. the usual default sale). On the other hand say if the circulation of magazine is high , then highly increased sale.

Clearly the ASSUMPTION over here is that people will be interested to buy the book after reading the excerpt (pt A) . So for e.g. if its a suspense book and the excerpts give away some pointers to the climax , not many people might be interested to buy the book
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 24

Re: Among the more effective kinds of publicity [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2014, 17:13
I went for D as well. Option A does not talk about circulation. How do we know whether the question is asking about the desirability of the book or the effectiveness of circulation?
Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 5366 [0], given: 165

Re: Among the more effective kinds of publicity [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2014, 21:52
Expert's post
gauravkaushik8591 wrote:

Thanks for pointing it out. I was stuck at the same point. My analysis was that let's say 10 people are wiling to buy the book in the beginning, and the excerpt is released to a magazine that is read by 100 people. 60 people are discouraged to buy and 40 are encouraged --> this fact refutes option A but still increases the sale.

My question here is, what if questions like these (with an underlying assumption not so evident) appear in GMAT? is there a way around or do we just rely on our instinct?

The number analysis is not correct. If 10 people were willing to buy the book, the excerpt cannot discourage 60 people since they were not interested in buying in the first place. Only 10 were interested in the first place!
This group - "The number of people for whom seeing an excerpt of a book in a magazine provides an adequate substitute for reading the whole book" has to come from the people who were interested in buying the book in the first place.

The number analysis would be something like this: If 100 people were interested in buying the book initially and then the excerpt was released, 30 of those 100 people were not interested in buying anymore because the excerpt was a good enough substitute for them. But the excerpt has to bring in another '31 or more' people who were not interested initially but are interested now in buying the book. That is when the sales will increase due to the excerpt.

Now, I hope you see that the underlying assumption is clear.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 5366 [0], given: 165

Re: Among the more effective kinds of publicity [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2014, 22:04
Expert's post
himanshujovi wrote:
Karishma , although you have explained before but still I fail to understand how come A which is clearly an assumption for the argument be the conclusion ? I would have expected D to be a logical conclusion which relates the circulation of the magazine in which article is appearing to the increased sales. Extrapolating this relation to the logical extremities , if the circulation of magazine is zero ( i.e. no excerpts published in any magazine) , then no increased sale ( i.e. the usual default sale). On the other hand say if the circulation of magazine is high , then highly increased sale.

Clearly the ASSUMPTION over here is that people will be interested to buy the book after reading the excerpt (pt A) . So for e.g. if its a suspense book and the excerpts give away some pointers to the climax , not many people might be interested to buy the book

(A) is not an assumption. It is a clear inference.
You are given "The benefits of such excerption include not only a sure increase in sales"
The sure increase in sales is given as a fact. It is not the author's opinion. From this fact, you can say that definitely number of people getting encouraged to buy the book is more than the number of people getting discouraged. So from the given data in the argument, you can INFER option (A).

When you have data given and you can infer something from it, it is called an inference/conclusion.
When you have author's opinion (conclusion of the argument) and you need something to be true for the opinion to hold, that is an assumption.

For Example:

Argument 1

All A are B.
All B are C.

You can conclude that: All A are C. This must be true.

Argument 2

All A are B.
All B are C.

If you conclude that 'All C are A' (your opinion, not necessarily a fact), you are assuming that A, B and C overlap.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V27
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Other)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 171

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Among the more effective kinds of publicity [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2014, 12:32
I eliminated choice A just because of the underlying assumption that some one who is tantalized by the excerpt in the book will be motivated enough to buy the book. Generally in Inference Questions there are no assumptions affecting the validity of an answer choice, but this official questions serves as an exception I believe.

Experts, any opinion?
Re: Among the more effective kinds of publicity   [#permalink] 16 Sep 2014, 12:32