Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 02:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Among the more effective kinds of publicity that a traveling

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
4 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 230 [4] , given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Among the more effective kinds of publicity that a traveling [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2010, 23:12
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

56% (02:40) correct 44% (03:07) wrong based on 225 sessions
Among the more effective kinds of publicity that a traveling circus can get for a new show is to have one act from that show air on a television station with a large audience in a given area shortly before the show is performed live in that area. The benefits of such exposure include not only a sure increase in ticket sales for the show, but also a fee paid by the television station to the traveling circus.

Which of the following is best supported by the information above?

(A) The number of people for whom seeing one act from the show performed on television is an adequate substitute for seeing the show performed live is smaller than the number for whom seeing one act from the show on television stimulates a desire to see the show performed live.

(B) Because the majority of profits derived from airing one act from a show on television usually go to the traveling circus rather than the television station, station executives are unwilling to broadcast single acts from circus shows.

(C) In calculating the total number of audience members that a circus show has attracted, traveling circuses include the size of the viewership of television stations that aired a single act from the show.

(D) The effectiveness of having a single act from a circus show broadcast on a television station, measured in terms of increased ticket sales for the entire show, is proportional to the viewership size of a television station that broadcasted a single act from the show.
your answer.

(E) Traveling circuses with shows with single acts that are suitable for broadcast on popular television stations attract larger audiences than traveling circuses with shows with single acts not suitable for broadcast on popular television stations.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Among the more effective kinds of publicity [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2010, 00:18
I pick D :(

I understand now why A is right.

Obviously the # of people who not turn up because they think they've seen enough is < the number who turn up because they want to see more from the TV. Otherwise, how can it "sure to increase the ticket sales".

Good question, thanks! kudo for you
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: Among the more effective kinds of publicity [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2010, 07:06
good Q....was down to A and D, and I think it should be A
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3 (Mining Operations)

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 33

Re: Among the more effective kinds of publicity [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2010, 00:31
A is clear, But D is a close choice.I would like to know How everyone has eliminated D?
IMO Increased viewer ship has done two things:
1) Increased Ticket sales.
2) Recovered the Fee cost.
D mentions only one. I would be pleased if someone can throw some light. Is this the only reason why D abdicates the throne !!!

Regards,
Invincible...:)
"The way to succeed is to double your error rate."
"Most people who succeed in the face of seemingly impossible conditions are people who simply don't know how to quit."

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Among the more effective kinds of publicity [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2010, 09:59
i got D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 20

Re: Among the more effective kinds of publicity [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2010, 10:32
The argument only says that the number of tickets sold will increase. Its nowhere mentioned that the number of tickets that will be sold will be proportional to the viewership. So this eliminates D.

IMO A
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 18

Re: Among the more effective kinds of publicity [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2011, 09:28
The laguage used in this question is really bad. What is the source?

Hung M.Tran
Faculty of Banking and Finance,
National Economics University of Vietnam

Follow me on Twitter : http://twitter.com/AndyTranHung

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4 yr IT

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 26

Re: Among the more effective kinds of publicity [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2011, 10:25
good one!!
i took the bait and answered D, but now i can see A is correct.

this time, we play for keeps

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Among the more effective kinds of publicity [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2011, 19:09
Between A and D, D is probably extreme.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 5.0

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 315

Re: Among the more effective kinds of publicity [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2011, 19:27
i did not think that these sub600 questions were so hard. This question is so wordy but worth to practise. Thanks a lot for the post. +1 kudo.
You can see the same kind of question in og11 question No.57 for more practice.
Between A and D, i think D is wrong because the premise talks about the fees paid by the televisioin not about the viewership size, which is irrelevant.

Consider giving me kudos if you find my explanations helpful so i can learn how to express ideas to people more understandable.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

CAT Tests
Re: Among the more effective kinds of publicity that a traveling [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2013, 23:00
Among the more effective kinds of publicity that a traveling circus can get for a new show is to have one act from that show air on a television station with a large audience in a given area shortly before the show is performed live in that area. The benefits of such exposure include not only a sure increase in ticket sales for the show, but also a fee paid by the television station to the traveling circus.

(A) The number of people for whom seeing one act from the show performed on television is an adequate substitute for seeing the show performed live is smaller than the number for whom seeing one act from the show on television stimulates a desire to see the show performed live.

(B) Because the majority of profits derived from airing one act from a show on television usually go to the traveling circus rather than the television station, station executives are unwilling to broadcast single acts from circus shows.

(C) In calculating the total number of audience members that a circus show has attracted, traveling circuses include the size of the viewership of television stations that aired a single act from the show.

(D) The effectiveness of having a single act from a circus show broadcast on a television station, measured in terms of increased ticket sales for the entire show, is proportional to the viewership size of a television station that broadcasted a single act from the show.
your answer.

(E) Traveling circuses with shows with single acts that are suitable for broadcast on popular television stations attract larger audiences than traveling circuses with shows with single acts not suitable for broadcast on popular television stations.

your answer.

Well for the above question I have the following hypothesis.

This is an inference question and I even I came down to the options A and D.

Took the bait, answered D, however, the correct answer is A. the proportional relationship is nowhere mentioned in the passage or stimulus. It can be any ratio but the important thing is that there is an increase in the ticket sales.

That is the correct answer choice.
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Among the more effective kinds of publicity that a traveling [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2014, 06:40
gmatbull wrote:

your answer.

This question is identical to the one on the newspaper ad for the new books, why don't creators of questions at least bother to change the order of the answer choices?

Cheers
J :)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 540 Q50 V15
GMAT 2: 640 Q50 V27
GPA: 3.11
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 84

Re: Among the more effective kinds of publicity that a traveling [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2014, 07:19
Got it correct in 3 minutes... :)

Sahil Chaudhary
If you find this post helpful, please take a moment to click on the "+1 KUDOS" icon.
My IELTS 7.5 Experience
From 540 to 640...Done with GMAT!!!
http://www.sahilchaudhary007.blogspot.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 397

Re: Among the more effective kinds of publicity that a traveling [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2014, 15:39
gmatbull wrote:

your answer.

Answer A is totally flawed.

If 100000 people looked at the show. And only 1% decided to go see the show live, than 1000 people will go and see the show. Is not it a sure increase in ticket sales for the show ? Yes it is.

Therefore A is wrong. You cannot state that this will be right. You are assuming to much things here.

Look at C now;

Here is what the argument is telling us: Among the more effective kinds of publicity ==> television station.

therefore, when they calculate the "best effective kind of publicity", they take all the audience of the television stations right? This is logic. If you are saying that CNN has more viewers than FOX, you need to take into consideration ALL the viewers around the world...

Look at C: In calculating the total number of audience members that a circus show has attracted, traveling circuses include the size of the viewership of television stations that aired a single act from the show

In order to prove that more effective kinds of publicity is television. the circus has to take into consideration the size of the viewership of television stations that aired a single act from the show...

I think C "makes sense". but the question is bad I admit...

Think outside the box

Re: Among the more effective kinds of publicity that a traveling   [#permalink] 17 Jan 2014, 15:39