Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 07:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

amount of practice tests

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
amount of practice tests [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2007, 16:42
so i have noticed that there are a lot of posters here who have taken many practice tests in preparation for the big day(s).

is it really neccessary to take more than 3 practice tests?

My test is march 16th. and I just took my first practice test.
I took the GMATprep#1 and got a 750, even though i thought i did awful.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2007, 19:30
I think people tend to take several practice tests just to track their progress throughout their studying process. E.g., some people take a practice test in the very beginning, then take it agian somewhere in the middle, and again at the end. In your case, I think it doesn't make sense to take multiple practice tests, unless 750 is low for you. :roll:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: amount of practice tests [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2007, 21:14
CookieMonster wrote:
so i have noticed that there are a lot of posters here who have taken many practice tests in preparation for the big day(s).

is it really neccessary to take more than 3 practice tests?

My test is march 16th. and I just took my first practice test.
I took the GMATprep#1 and got a 750, even though i thought i did awful.

To each his own. If you scored a 750 and performed awfully, why not put a little effort and get yourself an 800?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2007, 17:52
nervousgmat wrote:
I think people tend to take several practice tests just to track their progress throughout their studying process. E.g., some people take a practice test in the very beginning, then take it agian somewhere in the middle, and again at the end. In your case, I think it doesn't make sense to take multiple practice tests, unless 750 is low for you. :roll:

Well I consider a practice test score of 750 equal to a real gmat score of 700\710.
No sleep the night before my test and test day anxiety will surely knock several points off my score.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2007, 22:46
Study a little more and take the second one, if it is still in the 700+ category you will do fine.

You can even retake the GMATPreps 6-8 times the week before the exam to get your brain used to the GMAT and the math sections will give you plenty of unseen practice. The verbal has more overlap but it is still good practice as well.

It is a very accurate indicator of how you will do - but nothing is perfect.
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2007, 12:34
i've noticed that you are great at quant, so with an above average verbal score, 700+ is certainly possible. You just happen to start from a very high level. Good luck
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2007, 12:49
I think practice tests in a timed environment is absolutely necessary and important!

For me I could answer the questions easily when I wasnt timed, but it was a whole different story in a timed environment.

Take one in the beginning to see where you stand and then take a lot (as many as you can) towards the end.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2007, 14:14
Why not, if you want to do practice problems, this is just a certain format. As long as you review them afterwards I think it would be fine.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Amount of Practice [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2007, 02:16
I think it is better to take several tests throughout the preparation process in order to, among others:

1. See how your study is helping you and as a benchmark to compare.
2. There are many factors that can make you score lower, so it is better to replicate the test environment many times in order to get acquainted with it.

Also doing only one exam is not representative of the real performance you will achieve on the exam day. For this purpose it is better to make sure you can consistently achieve 700+ score on the practice tests to have enough confidence that you will be able to achieve that grade during the exam day.

Hope it helps and good luck!
Amount of Practice   [#permalink] 03 Apr 2007, 02:16