Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 00:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Amy and Adam are making boxes of truffles to give out as

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 1048
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Amy and Adam are making boxes of truffles to give out as [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2008, 05:50
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (01:48) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Amy and Adam are making boxes of truffles to give out as wedding favors. They have an unlimited supply of 5 different types of truffles. If each box holds 2 truffles of different types, how many different boxes can they make ?
_________________

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Check out my GMAT blog - GMAT Tips and Strategies

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 313
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: PS: Wedding Favors [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2008, 06:36
amitdgr wrote:
Amy and Adam are making boxes of truffles to give out as wedding favors. They have an unlimited supply of 5 different types of truffles. If each box holds 2 truffles of different types, how many different boxes can they make ?


They can make - 5C2 =10 different type of baxes, as question mentiones unlimited supply of boxes the number of boxes can not be defined but diff type of boxes can be calculated.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2008
Posts: 1436
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: PS: Wedding Favors [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2008, 08:38
vivektripathi wrote:
amitdgr wrote:
Amy and Adam are making boxes of truffles to give out as wedding favors. They have an unlimited supply of 5 different types of truffles. If each box holds 2 truffles of different types, how many different boxes can they make ?


They can make - 5C2 =10 different type of baxes, as question mentiones unlimited supply of boxes the number of boxes can not be defined but diff type of boxes can be calculated.


Isn't it 20? 5 different types of T's

each box holds two different truffles.

First one can be picked in 5 ways.

Second one must be different means 4 ways

Total number of ways = 20
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Jun 2008
Posts: 136
Schools: ISB, Tuck, Michigan (Ross), Darden, MBS
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: PS: Wedding Favors [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2008, 10:42
Let me take a different approach to this problem.

Let a b c d e be the different kinds of truffles available.

NOw lets see the different possible combinations of truffles:

ab, ac, ad, ae, bc, bd, be, cd, ce, de

therefore 10 ways/

let me know if I am missing something here.

Thx.
_________________

-----------------------------------------------------------
'It's not the ride, it's the rider'

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2008
Posts: 1436
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: PS: Wedding Favors [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2008, 10:50
GMBA85 wrote:
Let me take a different approach to this problem.

Let a b c d e be the different kinds of truffles available.

NOw lets see the different possible combinations of truffles:

ab, ac, ad, ae, bc, bd, be, cd, ce, de

therefore 10 ways/

let me know if I am missing something here.

Thx.


yes you are right. the order does not matter. ab=ba It is still the same combination. I was wrong.
Re: PS: Wedding Favors   [#permalink] 28 Sep 2008, 10:50
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic In a department store prize box, 40% of the notes give... jlgdr 1 18 Sep 2013, 11:31
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic Amy and Adam are making boxes of truffles to give out as wed Shoumik 7 20 Jun 2011, 19:16
1 Some Out of the Box FORMULAS and SHORTCUTS m2l2 0 13 May 2011, 08:27
Making the most out of school visits Diplo 3 28 Jan 2008, 14:51
6 What do you make out of this ? rgajare14 8 30 Sep 2007, 11:34
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Amy and Adam are making boxes of truffles to give out as

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.