Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 18:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

An absolutely miserable performance ( 650, Q 44, V 35)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

An absolutely miserable performance ( 650, Q 44, V 35) [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2005, 17:56
Hello everybody,
Well, as I write this post, I am in a total state of shock and frustration. All along I thought I would struggle to score in verbal ( not that what ive got now is great), but I couldnt believe my eyes when I saw my poor quant score. With a bachelors in Engineering and a masters in Financial engineering from Ann Arbor, you would think GMAT quant should have been a cake walk. Oh well, thats what I thought too, and this is my lowest score ever. I wasnt tensed, i thought I was doing pretty well, got a perm/comb problem in the 4th , followed by a DS on Median and average, so i thought I was doing pretty well. But I guess i didnt. Anyway, No excuses, I screwed up.

Now here is my problem. My decision to do an MBA was almost a last minute one and Id like to enroll for the Fall 2006 term. I am looking at only a one year program, and was targeting schools like INSEAD, Michigan ( two yrs) , cornell, columbia and Kellog. Now , I am not too sure if I can even apply to all these schools with my score. I need some advice and I thought you guys would be the best to answer me. I will give you a brief snapshot of what I have done thus far.

I graduated with a bachelors in Electrical and Electronics Engineering from the University of Madras, India and subsequently went on to get a masters with a specilisation in Financial Engineering from Ann Arbor. During my course of study, I was a graduate research scholar and was part of the dean's honor roll ( anyone with GPA of 3.2 and above is ). I also got to work on projects ranging from Bandwidth pricing to projects in the biophysics research division ( as a programmer).

Subsequently I came back to India to work for a Startup of an Automative giant in India. Infact, I joined one of their functions which had gone bankrupt and our mandate was to wipe out the cumulative losses in 3 years. I worked as the head of risk management and managed a loan portfolio of Rs 2300 million. I had 12 people working for me ( mostly field level guys apart from a Risk Analyst). My role was to frame credit policies, set up Risk management systems and architecture and manage the portfolio delinquency under 3% of total Assets. In the 2 years that I worked there , I got a chance to play different roles, from building a credit scoring model to implementing several risk management inititatives. The good news is this company has now broken even and is registering their first profits.

With this experience I relocated to Singapore and took up employement with Pricewaterhouse Coopers in their Risk Management consulting team. So far, I have been involved in implementation of Basel II guidelines for banks in Taiwan, Singapore and India and also have done some work for a hedge fund in China. Work here ranges from building Credit Rating models to developing an Integrated Risk Management Strategy for banks. Have worked here for 8 months now and by the time I join B -school ( IF I MAKE IT), i would have had close to 3.5 yrs of experience.

Apart from this I have done quite a bit of community work in India and in the US and was also a founder member of my High school's Alumni Club.
My questions to the group are:

1.Do you think I will be able to cover up my GMAT screw up with a little bit of my experience and explain that as an engineer, my quant skills are def much better than what my scores indicate?

2. Will I be taking a huge risk by applying with this score to the schools I mentioned.

I am really sorry about the long post. Look forward to hear from you soon. Thanks.

Skanda
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2005, 18:43
650 is not a bad score at all... infact, your profile may more than compensate for a few points lost on the GMAT. I honestly think you have a decent crack at the schools you mention.

Congrats anyways... and all the best with your apps!

-Vikram

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2005, 17:26
Thanks a lot vikram. I do hope that I make it to one of these schools.
Thanks for your words of encouragement and your prompt reply.

skanda
  [#permalink] 16 Oct 2005, 17:26