Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 17:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

An admit and 4 waitlists... what now?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V37
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 15

An admit and 4 waitlists... what now? [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2013, 15:50
I've been admitted to IESE, and was WL'ed on Kellogg, Yale, Michigan and Cornell
I really want to do an American MBA, so if I end up not being admitted in any of these 4, I might reapply.

My previous objective was IB (and I might be too old for that, so that could be the reason for the WL).
If I reapply next year, I will choose Corporate Finance (that is the non-banking finance career).

My question is: will I be too old with 33 upon graduation? (career change to Corporate Finance). How feasible is this?

Thanks!!!!

PS, here are some more information:
GMAT: 680 (Q48 V35)
TOEFL: 101
Current role: Market Risk Management (Senior Analyst)
Leadership experiences: yes, in projects, more than one
Community experiences: yes, 3
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 523 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: An admit and 4 waitlists... what now? [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 03:47
Expert's post
Well my first question to you would be what are you doing to get off those waitlists and INTO the schools? Why think about next year, when there are still actions you can take to get in THIS year?????!!!!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V37
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 15

Re: An admit and 4 waitlists... what now? [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 06:50
Hi Jon

Thanks for your note.
I’m not as hopeless as you might think.
I’m doing unhuman efforts to get in at the schools I’ve been waitlisted.
To be honest, both Cornell and Yale has been shown little love to WL applicants. Nevertheless, I am sending them (significant) updates and other things that may positively impact their decision.
I am more optimistic about Kellogg and Michigan, though and I also sent them all the updates and etcetera.

However, in case I’m not admitted in these schools, I have to decide whether I should reapply next year or attend IESE, because I have to make a significant deposit soon if I want to hold my place there (and it is not about just 2000 dollars…).

So, if despite my efforts to be admitted off the waitlists, I don’t get in, should I reapply or attend IESE? Remember, I’ll be 31 next year and I plan to work with Corporate Finance in non-financial institutions.
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 523 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: An admit and 4 waitlists... what now? [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 04:44
Expert's post
Oh I never thought you were hopeless!!
:)
On the contrary I have great hope for you. I just wanted to make sure you were doing everything you could to make it in.

As for your decision, I know i's hard but I can't make it for you. Would you be happy going to IESE? Would you feel that it is good enough? Or that you missed out on something? (Are you able to defer IESE??)

The difference between applying when you are 30, and applying when you are 31 is not that large, so that should not be your main concern. But rather - will school X get me what I need? Will I be happy with my decision? Is it more important for me to go THIS year or to try and make it in the 'better' school?

These are all questions I would ask myself, and if you answer some of them I can maybe expand my thoughts further.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!