Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 23:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

An advertisement designed to convince readers of the great

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
An advertisement designed to convince readers of the great [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2009, 16:53
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

59% (01:45) correct 41% (01:32) wrong based on 26 sessions
An advertisement designed to convince readers of the great durability of automobiles manufactured by the Deluxe Motor Car Company cites as evidence the fact that over half of all automobiles built by the company since 1970 are still on the road today, compared to no more than a third for any other manufacturer.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the advertisement’s argument?

(A) After taking inflation into account, a new Deluxe automobile costs only slightly more than a new model did in 1970.
(B) The number of automobiles built by Deluxe each year has not increased sharply since 1970.
(C) Owners of Deluxe automobiles typically keep their cars well maintained.
(D) Since 1970, Deluxe has made fewer changes in the automobiles it manufactures than other car companies have made in their automobiles.
(E) Deluxe automobiles have been selling at relatively stable prices in recent years.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR:Deluxe Motor Car Company [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2009, 19:24
reply2spg wrote:
An advertisement designed to convince readers of the great durability of automobiles manufactured by the Deluxe Motor Car Company cites as evidence the fact that over half of all automobiles built by the company since 1970 are still on the road today, compared to no more than a third for any other manufacturer.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the advertisement’s argument?

(A) After taking inflation into account, a new Deluxe automobile costs only slightly more than a new model did in 1970.
(B) The number of automobiles built by Deluxe each year has not increased sharply since 1970.
(D) Since 1970, Deluxe has made fewer changes in the automobiles it manufactures than other car companies have made in their automobiles.
(E) Deluxe automobiles have been selling at relatively stable prices in recent years.

Choice A, the cost is irrelevant to the durability issue.
C seems like a weaken answer.
E, the selling price is irrelevant to the durability issue
It's between B and D. But in D, made few changes does not seem to have anything to do with durability.

I guess I am going with B.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR:Deluxe Motor Car Company [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2009, 21:03
IMO D.

I think that B is offbeat.
The number of automobiles built by Deluxe each year has not increased sharply since 1970. - fine. but are they durable?

D says: they did little modification- it means that car requires less modification hence cars are indeed durable.

If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR:Deluxe Motor Car Company [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2009, 21:33
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
IMO D.

I think that B is offbeat.
The number of automobiles built by Deluxe each year has not increased sharply since 1970. - fine. but are they durable?

D says: they did little modification- it means that car requires less modification hence cars are indeed durable.

The potential changes made are not relevant. If B were false and they produced more cars then that might explain why more cars are on the road now. Since B eliminates this is a possibility (and therefore strengthens the argument), it is the correct choice.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR:Deluxe Motor Car Company [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2009, 22:41
By POE, I was confused between C and D and chose D with the following reasoning:

A. Cost is no way related to the durability.
B. Number is irrelevant here. The argument mentions "half of all the cars built".
E. Similar to A.

Between C and D, D mentions that since there have been fewer changes in the car, this supports the conclusion that more cars on the road is because of durability.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: CR:Deluxe Motor Car Company [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2009, 22:53
reply2spg wrote:

D is the best

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: CR:Deluxe Motor Car Company [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2009, 22:56
IMO B.

What is the OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR:Deluxe Motor Car Company [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2009, 00:08
IMO B..........

since The number of automobiles built by Deluxe each year has not increased sharply since 1970 it means that the number of automobiles built by the company is still on the road, so ultimately it strengthens the agrument.

rest everyother choice, I feel is out of scope.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR:Deluxe Motor Car Company [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2009, 00:44
It should be D.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR:Deluxe Motor Car Company [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2009, 00:55
reply2spg wrote:

Advertiemnt says that half of all automobiles built by the company since 1970 are on road that support the fact of the durability of Delux automobiles.We should be looking for a statment that supports the durability.
A,B,C,E does not support.

D. Since 1970 Delux has made fewer changes to it automobiles it manufactures concludes that delux cars were durable and there was little to change.

I go with D.

Appreciate if some one could explain it a little better.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR:Deluxe Motor Car Company [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2009, 09:55
tkarthi4u wrote:
reply2spg wrote:

Advertiemnt says that half of all automobiles built by the company since 1970 are on road that support the fact of the durability of Delux automobiles.We should be looking for a statment that supports the durability.
A,B,C,E does not support.

D. Since 1970 Delux has made fewer changes to it automobiles it manufactures concludes that delux cars were durable and there was little to change.

I go with D.

Appreciate if some one could explain it a little better.

In B, there is a valid point to be made. They have not increased their production volume. May be other car manufacturers have decreased their volume; so this is unclear. Hence, B may be out.
In D, we are comparing with other automakers. Further note that deluxe has not made any dramatic changes to affect positively their durability. Hence, I go with D.

-----------------------
tusharvk

2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 214 [2] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR:Deluxe Motor Car Company [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2009, 10:06
This post received
KUDOS
reply2spg wrote:

Clearly A,C,E are irrelevant or will weaken the argument

B says The number of automobiles built by Deluxe each year has not increased sharply since 1970.

Consider the opposite

The number of automobiles built by Deluxe each year has increased sharply since 1970. The argument points out that the durability of the cars is based on the longevity of the car. If they made only 1000 cars from 70-2000 and 200K in 2001-2005 and 100K cars are on the market, Is that durability caused by longevity? No.

Hence this is a good choice, even though this is more like a assumption. Assumptions are nothing but unstated premises that will strengthen the conclusion or needed for the conclusion to be valid, because with out the assumption the conclusion will fall apart.

D is saying that few changes have been done by Deluxe. sort of supports the argument. But not entirely because the durability in the argument is based on the longevity and not how many changes. Just because Deluxe chose not to change much over a long time does not mean that lack of changes (not lack of repairs/recalls) for a long time means longevity.
Director
Director
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR:Deluxe Motor Car Company [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2009, 10:42
thanks.
initially went with D
i believe B is the answer, because B means --> we still have half of the cars running today is not because their number has been increased rather they are actually DURABLE?

math-polygons-87336.html
competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html

Retired Moderator
Followers: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR:Deluxe Motor Car Company [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2009, 10:51
I go with B for the same reasoning.

nitya34 wrote:
thanks.
initially went with D
i believe B is the answer, because B means --> we still have half of the cars running today is not because their number has been increased rather they are actually DURABLE?
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR:Deluxe Motor Car Company [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2009, 20:09
Trng trng......OA time pls............
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 141 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR:Deluxe Motor Car Company [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2009, 12:16
This post received
KUDOS
I am not convinced with the reasoning presented for option B. Rest all can be eliminated easily.

Explanation:
---------------------------
(A) After taking inflation into account, a new Deluxe automobile costs only slightly more than a new model did in 1970. ---> Irrelevant. We have to focus on durability.

(B) The number of automobiles built by Deluxe each year has not increased sharply since 1970. ---> :?:

(C) Owners of Deluxe automobiles typically keep their cars well maintained. ---> What owners do is not important for the conclusion; what manufacturers do is important.

(D) Since 1970, Deluxe has made fewer changes in the automobiles it manufactures than other car companies have made in their automobiles. ---> When I looked at option D, it was a clear no-no for me. There could be other reasons why automobiles by Deluxe motor are still on roads. Only because they are still on road does not mean that they are durable. IMO, any product's life is directly proportional to how you treat it. Anyone can keep a car running for several years by getting it serviced regularly. But then how come Deluxe Motor is still in business? Though their automobiles may not be durable, they might be very fuel efficient. Who knows?

(E) Deluxe automobiles have been selling at relatively stable prices in recent years. ---> Not convincing. A stable price of a product does not guarantee that the product is durable. Moreover, how many years should actually be considered as ‘recent’?
---------------------------

My option choice is B. Though I could easily discard all but B by process of elimination, I'm not convinced about its reasoning.

I know what matters finally is answer but if you have the correct and convincing reasoning, nothing better than that!

Eagerly waiting for some concrete reasoning…

Regards,
Technext

+++ Believe me, it doesn't take much of an effort to underline SC questions. Just try it out. +++
+++ Please tell me why other options are wrong. +++

~~~ The only way to get smarter is to play a smarter opponent. ~~~

Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 99

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR:Deluxe Motor Car Company [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2009, 12:27
IMO D.

all other companies might have changed their models so probably consumers changed them quickly. But Deluxe company didnt change anything so there is a chance that users might not have gone for the new models (new models dont have anything new since no changes).

Thanks.
Retired Moderator
Followers: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR:Deluxe Motor Car Company [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2009, 06:07
OA PLEASE.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

Re: CR:Deluxe Motor Car Company [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2009, 07:04
great explanation technext. +1 from me.

I am also not convinced abt the logic of B.

Can anyone pls explain?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR:Deluxe Motor Car Company [#permalink] New post 21 May 2009, 08:51
OA is B.

If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

Re: CR:Deluxe Motor Car Company   [#permalink] 21 May 2009, 08:51