Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 05:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

An advertisement for E-News, a subscription-only online

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Columbia, INSEAD, RSM, LBS
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
An advertisement for E-News, a subscription-only online [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2009, 02:05
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

45% (02:20) correct 55% (01:55) wrong based on 62 sessions
An advertisement for E-News, a subscription-only online newspaper with no ads accompanying its content, argued that individuals should subscribe to E-News so as to eliminate wasted time that results from seeing and ignoring advertisements while attempting to read newspapers that feature ads.

Which of the following, if true, most severely weakens E-News' argument?

A) Individuals who currently read only print newspapers are much less likely to enjoy a subscription news website without first learning about reading online news through a free news website.

B) Free ad-sponsored news websites and blogs offer more content than E-News.

C) E-News partners with other e-content providers, many of which always show numerous ads alongside their content.

D) For regions of the country that lack adequate internet coverage, switching to an online subscription website is not logical.

E) E-News recently announced it would sell some of its content to ad-supported websites and print newspapers.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: CR Question : 600-700 [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2009, 02:31
The conclusion is: "individuals should subscribe to E-News so as to eliminate wasted time that results from seeing and ignoring advertisements while attempting to read newspapers that feature ads."

A) this conclusion is about subscription and ads, not about enjoy. => eliminate
B) out of scope
C) Provide additional evidence to weaken the conclusion.
D) Out of scope.
E) Strengthen conclusion.

So the answer is C

Is that right?

Remember to give kudos if it's useful for you !!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Fuqua
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Question : 600-700 [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2009, 15:23
Yes...one more vote for C.

More or less with similar explanation what mrbgam provided.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Question : 600-700 [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2009, 19:16
Agree with C

If other e-content providers content is present on E-news website with advertisement then the argument is weaken

Always tag your question

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 45 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Question : 600-700 [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2009, 08:50
This post received
KUDOS
A) Individuals who currently read only print newspapers are much less likely to enjoy a subscription news website without first learning about reading online news through a free news website.
PRINT NEWSPAPER IS IMMATERIAL,ONLY E NEWSPAPER SHOULD BE CONSIDERED..OUT

CONTENT IS NOT BEING JUDGED HERE,AMOUNT OF DISTRACTION FROM ADS IS UNDER QUESTION

C) E-News partners with other e-content providers, many of which always show numerous ads alongside their content.
WEAKENS THE ARGUMENT BECAUSE IT TELLS US THAT THOUGH NOT DIRECTLY BUT
INDIRECTLY ADS POP UP ON THE WEBSITE

D) For regions of the country that lack adequate internet coverage, switching to an online subscription website is not logical.
ADS OR NO ADS IS THE QUESTION...ONINE SUBSCRIPTION SI NOT..OUT

E) E-News recently announced it would sell some of its content to ad-supported websites and print newspapers.
IF IT SELLS OUT,IT STILL REMAINS AN AD-FREE SITE AND ACTUALLY STRENGTHENS...OUT
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 476 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Question : 600-700 [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2009, 09:11
I went for "E", as I thought that having a partnership doesn't necessarily mean that the ads of partener sites will be shown on E-news page. (Perhaps this is my lack of knowledge).

Now the issue is that you guys are saying that "E" infact strengthens the argument. I didn't understand how "E" strengthens the argument. So after googling, I got the following link, which tells a different story about "E". Correct answer is "C" but the reason of "E" being wrong is different.

http://www.platinumgmat.com/practice_gm ... ion_id=613

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Question : 600-700 [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2009, 07:55
Hussain15 wrote:
I went for "E", as I thought that having a partnership doesn't necessarily mean that the ads of partener sites will be shown on E-news page. (Perhaps this is my lack of knowledge).

Now the issue is that you guys are saying that "E" infact strengthens the argument. I didn't understand how "E" strengthens the argument. So after googling, I got the following link, which tells a different story about "E". Correct answer is "C" but the reason of "E" being wrong is different.

http://www.platinumgmat.com/practice_gm ... ion_id=613

STREGNTHEN in a sense that if challenged the company may say "SAY WHAT? WE ARE ALREADY SELLING OUT SOME OF OUR CONTENT FOR AD BASED SITES AND NOT OURSELVES INDULGING IN THEM..THAT WAY WE ARE STILL UPHOLDING OUR COMMITMENT TOWARDS AD-FREE NEWS"..
This explanation might be taking its flight towards fantasy but it was to say that E doesnot weaken...if at all it does,it may streghthen but definately not weakens...
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Stern '15
GMAT 1: 620 Q38 V37
GPA: 3.42
WE: Marketing (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: CR Question : 600-700 [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2011, 12:54
I go for "B". "C" is out of scope for me. Just because it partners with sites that have ads doesn't mean that E-News subscribers will see ads. However, a severe obstacle to people subscribing to E-News would arise if the content of E-News did not match other outlets with ads.
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 281 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Question : 600-700 [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2011, 17:27
I don't think that C is right. We cannot assume that the information of its partners pops up in the website.

E-news could partner with other websites, but it doesn't mean that the links of those partners appear in the web page.

If this is the reasoning of the author, I think that the question would not be similar to a GMAT question.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR Question : 600-700 [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2011, 18:49
+1 B
the argument is: People should subscribe E-News because it eliminates the wasted time resulting from ads.
what if people want to read more content when choosing online-website.

"C", "E": out of the scope.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Re: CR Question : 600-700 [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2011, 07:53
C. E-News partners with other e-content providers, many of which always show numerous ads alongside their content.
IMO the answer is C because it is clearly said that the partners always shows the add in their content, therefore they will have the advertisment in E-news too. If that is the case then the claim made by the E-News is false and this weakens the conclusion.
Let me know if I am correct.
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 205 [1] , given: 42

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: CR Question : 600-700 [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2011, 22:53
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
An advertisement for E-News, a subscription-only online newspaper with no ads accompanying its content, argued that individuals should subscribe to E-News so as to eliminate wasted time that results from seeing and ignoring advertisements while attempting to read newspapers that feature ads.

Premise 1: the online newspaper is not stuck with advertisement
Premise 2: Seeing and ignoring advertisement that normally stick to other newspapers will waste time
Conclusion: Read online newspaper will eliminate waste time

A) Individuals who currently read only print newspapers are much less likely to enjoy a subscription news website without first learning about reading online news through a free news website. => enjoyment of readers does not talk anything about time

B) Free ad-sponsored news websites and blogs offer more content than E-News. => more content but not talk about cutting time

C) E-News partners with other e-content providers, many of which always show numerous ads alongside their content. => Yes, Content in E-news contains ads. Instead of sticking ads beside column, now ads was clue to center of content.

D) For regions of the country that lack adequate internet coverage, switching to an online subscription website is not logical. => irrelevant

E) E-News recently announced it would sell some of its content to ad-supported websites and print newspapers. => irrelevant with content on E-News website or subcription

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: An advertisement for E-News, a subscription-only online [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2011, 14:23
I go with C
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: An advertisement for E-News, a subscription-only online [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2011, 17:14
C
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: An advertisement for E-News, a subscription-only online [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2011, 19:22
+1 C
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: An advertisement for E-News, a subscription-only online [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2014, 09:06
IEsailor wrote:

I think that C is the correct answer choice here, if E news partners with other e-content providers then people entering their website will ultimately end up in these other websites that are full of ads so this clearly weakens the argument.

Just my 2cents

Cheers!
J :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 397

Re: An advertisement for E-News, a subscription-only online [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2014, 15:55
IEsailor wrote:

I do not agree with C.

Here, the question is about content. a subscription-only online newspaper with no ads accompanying its content

Look at the argument, it says that for Website providing a certain content, people will be willing to pay in order to avoid adds.

What does that means? It means that for equivalent level of content, someone will prefer to pay some money in order to avoid the adds rather than to face all the adds in a free blog website.

Think about it. if a free blog offers 1000 articles every day, but the not-free (but without ads website) offers 1 article every month. Will you still pay for it?

==> B) Free ad-sponsored news websites and blogs offer more content than E-News.

In order to weaken the argument B does the job perfectly. If the free blog offers more content, than people will not switch to the 'no adds" website.

For C: E-News partners with other e-content providers, many of which always show numerous ads alongside their content. ==> Does that means that there are adds on the website?? It could only be small link at a bottom of a page. Or even only suggestions. you do not know!

For me B is more direct. If B is true, than people will not switch because content is not following.

Think outside the box

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 29

Re: An advertisement for E-News, a subscription-only online [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2014, 10:05
Going with C on this one.
Conclusion:Read E-news;save time
Premise:No ads in E-News.
C is weakening the premise as well as the conclusion by saying that ads will nevertheless feature in E-news.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '16, IIMA (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 46

Re: An advertisement for E-News, a subscription-only online [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2014, 20:21
CONCLUSION- Individuals should subscribe to E-News so as to eliminate wasted time that results from seeing and ignoring advertisements .

A) Individuals who currently read only print newspapers are much less likely to enjoy a subscription news website without first learning about reading online news through a free news website.....WE ARE NOT TALKING OF ENJOYMENT HERE BUT WHETHER TIME IS WASTED IN READING NEWSPAPER......

B) Free ad-sponsored news websites and blogs offer more content than E-News....WE ARE NOT TALKING OF CONTENT HERE BUT WHETHER TIME IS WASTED IN READING NEWSPAPER......

C) E-News partners with other e-content providers, many of which always show numerous ads alongside their content...CORRECT.... TIME IS WASTED....

D) For regions of the country that lack adequate internet coverage, switching to an online subscription website is not logical.......WE ARE NOT TALKING OF COVERAGE HERE BUT WHETHER TIME IS WASTED IN READING NEWSPAPER......

E) E-News recently announced it would sell some of its content to ad-supported websites and print newspapers.newspapers that feature ads....WE ARE NOT TALKING OF WHO SELLS CONTENT TO WHOM BUT WHETHER TIME IS WASTED IN READING NEWSPAPER......

KUDOS IF YOU PLEASE......
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: An advertisement for E-News, a subscription-only online [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2014, 10:09
Paris75 wrote:
IEsailor wrote:

I do not agree with C.

Here, the question is about content. a subscription-only online newspaper with no ads accompanying its content

Look at the argument, it says that for Website providing a certain content, people will be willing to pay in order to avoid adds.

What does that means? It means that for equivalent level of content, someone will prefer to pay some money in order to avoid the adds rather than to face all the adds in a free blog website.

Think about it. if a free blog offers 1000 articles every day, but the not-free (but without ads website) offers 1 article every month. Will you still pay for it?

==> B) Free ad-sponsored news websites and blogs offer more content than E-News.

In order to weaken the argument B does the job perfectly. If the free blog offers more content, than people will not switch to the 'no adds" website.

For C: E-News partners with other e-content providers, many of which always show numerous ads alongside their content. ==> Does that means that there are adds on the website?? It could only be small link at a bottom of a page. Or even only suggestions. you do not know!

For me B is more direct. If B is true, than people will not switch because content is not following.

It says that they are free but they are ad-sponsored and this is exactly what individuals are trying to avoid and is the whole point of the argument. Therefore, it doesn't do anything to the conclusion cause this is already understood.

In C, the point is that even though the webpage doesn't have any adds, the things is that if it partners with other content providers that do show adds, then this ad-free advantage isn't really ad-free. True we don't know the magnitude of the content that will be ad-free, but at least some of it will, so this weakens the conclusion and is the correct answer choice in the context of the question and alternative answer choices of course.

Hope its clear
J
Re: An advertisement for E-News, a subscription-only online   [#permalink] 02 Feb 2014, 10:09