Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:25 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 773 [81]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64905 [27]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1219 [14]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 773 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Re: Manhatta quant set 3 [#permalink]
guys any idea how this problem can be solved algebraically? the OE essentially sketches out the different paths, which will be very tedious on G day.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [1]
Given Kudos: 559
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
An ant is clinging to one corner of a box in the shape of a [#permalink]
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
vibhav wrote:
An ant is clinging to one corner of a box in the shape of a cube. The ant wants to get to the most distant corner of the box by crawling only along the edges of the cube and without ever revisiting a place it has been. How many different paths can the ant take to the most distant corner?

A. 6
B.12
C.18
D.24
E.30

Make the cube and select two opposite corners. One where the ant is right now and the second is where it wants to reach.
Notice that from its current position, it has 3 different paths that it can take i.e. it has 3 possible options. Make the ant move on any one path out of these 3.
Once one path is chosen, it has two different paths it can take (it cannot take the third one since it cannot revisit the third point). Make the ant move on any one path out of these 2.
Now, from this point, it again has 3 options to reach the point where it wanted to reach. Notice that the case will be the same even if you had selected different paths in the first two moves because it is a cube so all sides are the same.

Total number of different paths = 3*2*3 = 18

Hi Karishma
I could not get how there are three paths from the second point. Could you please explain in detail. Thanks :)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1219 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: An ant is clinging to one corner of a box in the shape of a [#permalink]
JusTLucK04 wrote:
@ Bunuel I have to type it all over again coz u deleted my last post.. :angry

Here how does the ant have 3 choices after the second path..It again has 2 choices..
Also it misses all the complex paths that the ant visits not in 3 steps..say in 5 or 7 steps..(It is possible)

Either I misunderstood the Q and the E or the explanation is incorrect

I guess the way would be:
No of ways to do in-
3 steps: 3*2*1=6
5 steps: 3*2*1*1*1=6
7 steps: 3*2*1*1*1*1*1=6
No more steps are possible: total 18 ways

Experts please comment

Bumping for review...Karishma & Bunuel..please review the solution in view of the above approach I have posted
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64905 [13]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
JusTLucK04 wrote:
JusTLucK04 wrote:

Here how does the ant have 3 choices after the second path..It again has 2 choices..
Also it misses all the complex paths that the ant visits not in 3 steps..say in 5 or 7 steps..(It is possible)

No of ways to do in-

Experts please comment

Bumping for review...Karishma & Bunuel..please review the solution in view of the above approach I have posted

Here is the reason the number of paths is 3*2*3 and how it takes everything into consideration:

Attachment:
Ques3.jpg
Ques3.jpg [ 6.31 KiB | Viewed 23698 times ]

I think the first two steps are clear so the first step is taken in 3 ways and second step in 2 ways. Now, draw the cube and see that the ant would be at one of three points (the points where you reach after traversing 2 edges) - E, C, G

For each of these points, there are 3 unique ways in which the ant can reach the desired vertex.

1st way - Directly go to the desired point. If it is an E, this means EF
2nd way - Go via 3 edges e.g. if it came from AD- DE, it goes EH-HG-GF
3rd way - Go via 5 edges e.g. if it came from AD- DE, it goes EH-HG-GB-BC-CF
Since it is a cube, we know that what works for one edge, will work for other two as well.

So you multiply 3*2 by 3 to get 18.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64905 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
JusTLucK04 wrote:
JusTLucK04 wrote:

No of ways to do in-

Experts please comment

As for your solution, it is correct too, of course. You chose to split it into "number of paths used". But note the 1s you used in 5 steps and 7 steps. It means that paths are unique and the method involves some unnecessary counting. A cube gives us symmetry and it would be good to use that.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [2]
Given Kudos: 59
Send PM
Kudos
At first stage ant has three ways, right?
At the second stage ant has only two ways, since it cannot return back on its path.
At the third stage Ant has only one way to its destination.
Henceforth, 3x2x1=6

Since there are three paths at the first stage we just need to add the outcomes of each three ways:
6+6+6=18
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Given Kudos: 212
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GMAT 1: 600 Q49 V23
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
JusTLucK04 wrote:
JusTLucK04 wrote:
Bunuel I have to type it all over again coz u deleted my last post.. :angry

No of ways to do in-

Experts please comment

Here is the reason the number of paths is 3*2*3 and how it takes everything into consideration:

Attachment:
Ques3.jpg

I think the first two steps are clear so the first step is taken in 3 ways and second step in 2 ways. Now, draw the cube and see that the ant would be at one of three points (the points where you reach after traversing 2 edges) - E, C, G

For each of these points, there are 3 unique ways in which the ant can reach the desired vertex.

1st way - Directly go to the desired point. If it is an E, this means EF
2nd way - Go via 3 edges e.g. if it came from AD- DE, it goes EH-HG-GF
3rd way - Go via 5 edges e.g. if it came from AD- DE, it goes EH-HG-GB-BC-CF
Since it is a cube, we know that what works for one edge, will work for other two as well.

So you multiply 3*2 by 3 to get 18.

VeritasPrepKarishma ma'am
I still didn't understand the 3rd multiple of 3. Could you please explain it again?
Considering the ant starts from E and its destination being B, From point E it has 3 distinct path.
When it gets to point D,H or F it has 2 distinct path through which it can reach B.
Now comes the third point. From D it can come to A or C, From H it can go to A or G and from F it can go to C or G again giving rise to 2 distinct path.
Ma'am could you please explain from here? :roll: :roll: :roll: :?: :?: :?:
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64905 [5]
Send PM
Kudos