Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 20:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

An anthropologist studying the social function of human skin

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Jun 2011
Posts: 106
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

An anthropologist studying the social function of human skin [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2011, 04:59
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

72% (02:42) correct 28% (00:58) wrong based on 100 sessions
An anthropologist studying the social function of human skin has stated that tattoos are an ancient form of body art. Tattoos, she argues, function as a mode of self-identification; the placement and design of images communicate ideas of central importance to those who bear them. She hypothesizes that the resurgence of tattooing in Western cultures over the last 10-15 years is due to increased desire to express individuality in an environment in which other personal decorations, including clothing and jewelry, are mass-produced.

Which of the following research studies, if completed, would be most likely to provide evidence directly relating to the anthropologist’s hypothesis?

• A study examining the attitudes in several Western cultures toward mass-produced clothing and jewelry.
• A study that systematically interviews people with tattoos less than 15 years old to discover their reasons for tattooing.
• A study surveying the work of other anthropologists on tattooing as a mode of self-identification.
• A study of the most common designs for tattoos over the last 10-15 years that could determine correlations between popular images and culture.
• A study comparing ancient and modern designs for tattoos that could reveal the way shifts in images reflect shifts in culture.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Apr 2011
Posts: 31
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 9

Re: GMAT CLUB:VERBAL TEST 6 CR QUESTIONS [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2011, 07:56
is it B?
Finding out the reasons for getting a tattoo would best help in the evaluation of the argument i think.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2011
Posts: 79
Schools: NUS
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 30

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: CR: Anthropologist (v06) [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2011, 20:48
+1 for B
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Still Struggling
Joined: 02 Nov 2010
Posts: 139
Location: India
GMAT Date: 10-15-2011
GPA: 3.71
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 8

Re: CR: Anthropologist (v06) [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2011, 03:11
IMO A. Reason:

anthropologist study reveals that the recent surge of tattoo in last 10-15 years is because people need to express their individuality among the the crowd of people who wear mass produced clothes and jewelry. Keeping this in mind, lets approach the statements.

bholakc wrote:
An anthropologist studying the social function of human skin has stated that tattoos are an ancient form of body art. Tattoos, she argues, function as a mode of self-identification; the placement and design of images communicate ideas of central importance to those who bear them. She hypothesizes that the resurgence of tattooing in Western cultures over the last 10-15 years is due to increased desire to express individuality in an environment in which other personal decorations, including clothing and jewelry, are mass-produced.

Which of the following research studies, if completed, would be most likely to provide evidence directly relating to the anthropologist’s hypothesis?

• A study examining the attitudes in several Western cultures toward mass-produced clothing and jewelry. Like mentioned before, if this study is done, it would reveal the attitude of ppl being frustrated because of the mass produced commodities and being unable to express their uniquness. Hence, correct
• A study that systematically interviews people with tattoos less than 15 years old to discover their reasons for tattooing. Incorrect. What would reveal by this particular study??
• A study surveying the work of other anthropologists on tattooing as a mode of self-identification. Irrelevant.
• A study of the most common designs for tattoos over the last 10-15 years that could determine correlations between popular images and culture. Out of scope. Hence, irrelevant
• A study comparing ancient and modern designs for tattoos that could reveal the way shifts in images reflect shifts in culture.Out of scope. Hence, irrelevant


anybody who has reasons to believe that A is not the right answer, please post your views.
_________________

Appreciation in KUDOS please!
Knewton Free Test 10/03 - 710 (49/37)
Princeton Free Test 10/08 - 610 (44/31)
Kaplan Test 1- 10/10 - 630
Veritas Prep- 10/11 - 630 (42/37)
MGMAT 1 - 10/12 - 680 (45/34)

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Apr 2011
Posts: 31
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 9

Re: CR: Anthropologist (v06) [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2011, 07:35
krishnasty wrote:
IMO A. Reason:

anthropologist study reveals that the recent surge of tattoo in last 10-15 years is because people need to express their individuality among the the crowd of people who wear mass produced clothes and jewelry. Keeping this in mind, lets approach the statements.

bholakc wrote:
An anthropologist studying the social function of human skin has stated that tattoos are an ancient form of body art. Tattoos, she argues, function as a mode of self-identification; the placement and design of images communicate ideas of central importance to those who bear them. She hypothesizes that the resurgence of tattooing in Western cultures over the last 10-15 years is due to increased desire to express individuality in an environment in which other personal decorations, including clothing and jewelry, are mass-produced.

Which of the following research studies, if completed, would be most likely to provide evidence directly relating to the anthropologist’s hypothesis?

• A study examining the attitudes in several Western cultures toward mass-produced clothing and jewelry. Like mentioned before, if this study is done, it would reveal the attitude of ppl being frustrated because of the mass produced commodities and being unable to express their uniquness. Hence, correct
• A study that systematically interviews people with tattoos less than 15 years old to discover their reasons for tattooing. Incorrect. What would reveal by this particular study??
• A study surveying the work of other anthropologists on tattooing as a mode of self-identification. Irrelevant.
• A study of the most common designs for tattoos over the last 10-15 years that could determine correlations between popular images and culture. Out of scope. Hence, irrelevant
• A study comparing ancient and modern designs for tattoos that could reveal the way shifts in images reflect shifts in culture.Out of scope. Hence, irrelevant


anybody who has reasons to believe that A is not the right answer, please post your views.



The point in question here is that "why are tattoos getting more famous" and the author tries to give one probable explantion for it. Since B asks a more direct question than A does about the problem at hand it is a better answer.

B would reveal the real reason for tattooing. Whether it because of mass production of common clothing items or not is secondary.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2011
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Anthropologist (v06) [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2011, 00:41
ganjupatel wrote:
krishnasty wrote:
IMO A. Reason:

anthropologist study reveals that the recent surge of tattoo in last 10-15 years is because people need to express their individuality among the the crowd of people who wear mass produced clothes and jewelry. Keeping this in mind, lets approach the statements.

bholakc wrote:
An anthropologist studying the social function of human skin has stated that tattoos are an ancient form of body art. Tattoos, she argues, function as a mode of self-identification; the placement and design of images communicate ideas of central importance to those who bear them. She hypothesizes that the resurgence of tattooing in Western cultures over the last 10-15 years is due to increased desire to express individuality in an environment in which other personal decorations, including clothing and jewelry, are mass-produced.

Which of the following research studies, if completed, would be most likely to provide evidence directly relating to the anthropologist’s hypothesis?

• A study examining the attitudes in several Western cultures toward mass-produced clothing and jewelry. Like mentioned before, if this study is done, it would reveal the attitude of ppl being frustrated because of the mass produced commodities and being unable to express their uniquness. Hence, correct
• A study that systematically interviews people with tattoos less than 15 years old to discover their reasons for tattooing. Incorrect. What would reveal by this particular study??
• A study surveying the work of other anthropologists on tattooing as a mode of self-identification. Irrelevant.
• A study of the most common designs for tattoos over the last 10-15 years that could determine correlations between popular images and culture. Out of scope. Hence, irrelevant
• A study comparing ancient and modern designs for tattoos that could reveal the way shifts in images reflect shifts in culture.Out of scope. Hence, irrelevant


anybody who has reasons to believe that A is not the right answer, please post your views.



The point in question here is that "why are tattoos getting more famous" and the author tries to give one probable explantion for it. Since B asks a more direct question than A does about the problem at hand it is a better answer.

B would reveal the real reason for tattooing. Whether it because of mass production of common clothing items or not is secondary.

Hope this helps.


I only hope not to get this kind of ambiguous questions in the exam.
The hypothesis of the anthropologist is that:
- people get tattoos in order to express their individuality:
- the resurgence in tattooing in Western cultures in the last 10-15 years is due to mass produced clothing and decorations that made it difficult for people to assert their individuality.
To provide evidence is to find what is relevant to the reasoning given: Why more tattoos? Because asserting ones individuality became hard. Because of the mass produced clothing and accessories.

Let's go over the answers:
1. A study examining the attitudes in several Western cultures toward mass-produced clothing and jewelry.
This helps in finding the attitudes towards mass produced clothes and jewelery. Are they lacking individuality?
Correct, but notice: "would be most likely to provide evidence directly relating". And this is indirect.
2. A study that systematically interviews people with tattoos less than 15 years old to discover their reasons for tattooing.
This is asking the direct question: why do you get more tattoos? This is also correct and direct. But i was confused by the "less than 15 years old". Are only people under 15 years old representative for the culture of the last 10-15 years? This limiting factor led me to eliminate this answer and I was only left with 1. Which is not OA, by the way.
3. A study surveying the work of other anthropologists on tattooing as a mode of self-identification.
Too general.
4. A study of the most common designs for tattoos over the last 10-15 years that could determine correlations between popular images and culture.
Does not address the reason: why get tattoos?
5. A study comparing ancient and modern designs for tattoos that could reveal the way shifts in images reflect shifts in culture.
Irrelevant to assessing why.

What do you think?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Oct 2011
Posts: 276
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 110

Re: An anthropologist studying the social function of human skin [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2011, 08:06
B IMO.

I think the attitudes of the people are not really relevant to the question at hand. The real reason why people have started tattooing is more important here and B addresses this reason.
Would like to know the OA. Any chance?
_________________

Consider KUDOS if you feel the effort's worth it

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Sep 2010
Posts: 11
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: An anthropologist studying the social function of human skin [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2011, 10:57
B
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 28 Nov 2011
Posts: 305
Followers: 305

Kudos [?]: 478 [3] , given: 2

CAT Tests
Re: An anthropologist studying the social function of human skin [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2011, 13:27
3
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The question is looking for the answer that is MOST LIKELY to provide evidence. While some evidence could be marshaled for (A), the case would is nowhere nearly strong as the case for (B).

Taking a closer look, the study in (A) surveys people in general, not just those who have gotten tattoos. By surveying this group we will definitely gain insight into attitudes towards mass-produced clothing. However, will we know what those with tattoos think about mass-produced? Maybe, as those surveyed are bound to have tattoos, but unless we identify which ones, we are not really going to learn too much about tattoo-ed people’s attitudes toward clothing.

In (B) we are directly surveying those with tattoos. And we are asking them why they got tattoos. The theory, from the prompt, is that they got tattoos because they wanted to define themselves instead of being defined by mass-produced clothing and jewelry. (B) allows us to ask them if this was the case.

Again, with (A) we are asking everybody – those with and without tattoos (which we won’t be able to distinguish between – what they think about mass-produced clothing. Who knows if the topic of tattoos will even come up?

Thus the answer is clearly (B)
_________________

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep


Image

Image


Last edited by ChrisLele on 18 Feb 2012, 07:18, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Oct 2011
Posts: 276
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 110

Re: An anthropologist studying the social function of human skin [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2011, 21:40
Thanks a ton Chris. Very nice explanation.
_________________

Consider KUDOS if you feel the effort's worth it

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Feb 2010
Posts: 71
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 4

Re: An anthropologist studying the social function of human skin [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2012, 14:46
What's wrong with C ??
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Dec 2011
Posts: 23
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 8

Re: An anthropologist studying the social function of human skin [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2012, 16:39
B IMO
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: May The Force Be With Me (D-DAY 15 May 2012)
Joined: 06 Jan 2012
Posts: 292
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 16

Reviews Badge
Re: An anthropologist studying the social function of human skin [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2012, 20:33
+1 B
The hypothesis here is the individuality that is connected with the Tattoo & not mass production of clothes
_________________

Giving +1 kudos is a better way of saying 'Thank You'.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 May 2011
Posts: 163
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 71

Re: An anthropologist studying the social function of human skin [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2012, 23:21
IMO C is the right answer. the results of this survey directly support the conclusion.
What's OA?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Apr 2011
Posts: 18
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Re: An anthropologist studying the social function of human skin [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2012, 03:36
shahideh wrote:
IMO C is the right answer. the results of this survey directly support the conclusion.
What's OA?




C cannot be right ans. coz we are not interested about other anthropologists study.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Sep 2009
Posts: 271
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 6

Re: An anthropologist studying the social function of human skin [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2012, 17:47
+1 B.

Interviewing people with tattoos less than 15 years old to find the reasons for their tattoos would be the best way to confirm or refute the hypothesis.

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz.
_________________

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 397
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 13

Re: An anthropologist studying the social function of human skin [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2012, 22:37
• A study examining the attitudes in several Western cultures toward mass-produced clothing and jewelry.
• A study that systematically interviews people with tattoos less than 15 years old to discover their reasons for tattooing.

A is wrong because the attitudes toward clothing and jewelery will never tell you why you are tattooing.
Re: An anthropologist studying the social function of human skin   [#permalink] 08 Jul 2012, 22:37
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
3 An anthropologist studying the social function of human skin madzstar 3 29 May 2013, 16:07
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic According to anthropologists, the use of human language nitzz 6 20 Oct 2012, 08:53
2 According to anthropologists, the use of human language vscid 8 20 Feb 2010, 23:27
An anthropologist studying the social function of human skin noboru 7 30 Aug 2009, 03:19
According to anthropologists, the use of human language gmat_march 2 23 Jun 2007, 12:36
Display posts from previous: Sort by

An anthropologist studying the social function of human skin

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.