Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:40 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20705 [404]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [64]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [49]
Given Kudos: 120
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 794 [28]
Given Kudos: 325
Send PM
Re: An archaeological excavation at what might have been a workshop where [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
daagh DmitryFarber GMATNinja generis hazelnut please let me know if my reasoning is wrong:

(B) what might have been a workshop where statues were reproduced yielded 1,532 fragments of human figures and

(C) the site of a possible workshop where statues were reproduced yielded 1,532 fragments of human figures and

Between B) and C), "possible workshop" stood out to me as being wrong in meaning. A workshop is a concrete noun, so using "possible" as an adjective doesn't make sense here. We can say "a possible terrorist threat" because this is an abstract concept but saying a "possible building" doesn't work the same way, at least in this sentence.

The issue is that C) changes the meaning from "the remains were possibly a structure" to "the remains were a possible structure"

I think if C) said "the site of what was possibly a workshop" that would be OK (it's basically what B says). This is because the idea is that the remains of whatever is there were possibly a workshop in the past, not that the workshop was a possible thing itself.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14672 [23]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Re: An archaeological excavation at what might have been a workshop where [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hello Everyone!

Let's tackle this question, one thing at a time, and narrow down our options quickly so we know how to answer questions like this when they pop up on the GMAT! To begin, let's take a quick look at the question and highlight any major differences between the options in orange:

An archaeological excavation at what might have been a workshop where statues were reproduced yielded 1,532 fragments of human figures, including 7 intact statues.

(A) what might have been a workshop where statues were reproduced yielded 1,532 fragments of human figures, including
(B) what might have been a workshop where statues were reproduced yielded 1,532 fragments of human figures and
(C) the site of a possible workshop where statues were reproduced yielded 1,532 fragments of human figures and
(D) the site of a possible workshop where statues were reproduced yielded 1,532 fragments of human figures, including
(E) the site of a possible workshop where statues might have been reproduced yielded 1,532 fragments of human figures, including

After a quick glance over the options, there are a few key differences we can focus on:

1. what might have been a workshop / the site of a possible workshop
2. were / might have been
3. and / , including

These are all "either/or" splits, which is great - any one of these issues will eliminate wrong options quickly. Let's start with #1 in our list: "what might have been a workshop" versus "the site of a possible workshop." The problem here lies with "possible workshop." As it's been mentioned in the forum already, there is no such thing as a "possible workshop." It makes a lot more sense to say "what might have been a workshop" because it clearly puts the workshop in the past tense and makes logical sense to readers. Let's eliminate any options that talk about a "possible workshop."

(A) what might have been a workshop where statues were reproduced yielded 1,532 fragments of human figures, including
(D) the site of a possible workshop where statues were reproduced yielded 1,532 fragments of human figures, including
(E) the site of a possible workshop where statues might have been reproduced yielded 1,532 fragments of human figures, including

We can eliminate options C, D, & E because they use the nonsensical phrase "possible workshop." Now that we have it narrowed down to only 2 options, let's tackle the rest of our list. To make mistakes easier to spot, let's add back in the non-underlined parts:

(A) An archaeological excavation at what might have been a workshop where statues were reproduced yielded 1,532 fragments of human figures, including 7 intact statues.

This is INCORRECT because the 7 intact statues are NOT fragments - they're intact. Using the word "including" makes it sound like the intact statues are part of the pile of fragments, which doesn't make sense.

(B) An archaeological excavation at what might have been a workshop where statues were reproduced yielded 1,532 fragments of human figures and 7 intact statues.

This is CORRECT! By using "and," it's clear to readers that the archaeologists found BOTH a pile of fragments AND 7 intact statues, which makes much more sense.

There you have it - option B is our choice!

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [2]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
An archaeological excavation at what might have been a workshop where statues were reproduced yielded 1,532 fragments of human figures, including 7 intact statues.

Including 7 intact statues modify fragments- How can fragments include intact statues? Illogical.
Eliminate

An archeological excavation at what might have been a workshop where statues were reproduced yielded-
1,532 fragments of human figures and 7 intact statues.
Correct.

“Possible” workshop- Is that a type of workshop? Doesn't make sense.
Eliminate.

Same as A and C. Eliminate.

Same as A and C. Eliminate.

Vishnupriya
GMAT Verbal SME
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19709 [17]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
hazelnut wrote:

SC24561.01

Official Explanation

Logical predication; Grammatical construction

The sentence tells us that an excavation yielded fragments of human figures as well as 7 intact statues. However, as written, the sentence implies that these 7 intact statues were actually fragments. This contradiction is presumably not intended.

A. This choice is incorrect because it incorrectly implies that the 7 intact statues are fragments.

B. Correct. The use of the word might makes clear that the suggestion that the structure was a workshop and that statues were reproduced there is just a hypothesis.

C. This choice is incorrect because it suggests, nonsensically, that the statues were reproduced in a possible workshop.

D. This choice is incorrect because it suggests, nonsensically, that the statues were reproduced in a possible workshop. Furthermore, it incorrectly implies that the 7 intact statues are fragments.

E. This choice is incorrect because it suggests, nonsensically, that the statues were reproduced in a possible workshop. Furthermore, it incorrectly implies that the 7 intact statues are fragments.

The correct answer is B.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Send PM
I eliminated options A,D,and E because of the word "including". After the discovery of the human fragments the only item discovered is the 7 intact statute,so i see no reason to introduce the discovery of just 7 intact statute with the word including.

I will choose option C over B because of the preposition "at", in my opinion it is meant to modify the site directly,which option C does.
Expert opinion plsss

Posted from my mobile device
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [12]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Adedami First, none of C-E can work because we don't have a "possible workshop." We have a place that may (possibly) have been a workshop.

As for the "at" issue, the GMAT is trying to trick us with an ungainly noun phrase: "what might have been a workshop." This doesn't sound nearly as nice and neat as "possible workshop," but it is still a noun phrase describing the same place, so it can connect to "at" just as well as "workshop" can.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 363 [0]
Given Kudos: 162
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V45
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
DmitryFarber
GMATNinja

Could anyone of you be so kind and explain to me the use of 'where' in this sentence. I always felt like the GMAT was very strict with the use of where.
"Use it for locations such as Berlin, Rome, NYC, the village, the town etc."

I immediately eliminated splits (A) (B) because I felt the where is miss used in this context.
"The site where ..." makes still better logical sense for me as to say "the workshop where ..."

Wouldn't we use "the workshop in which ..."
I don't see the connection between where <-> and the workshop here.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [3]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
chrtpmdr wrote:
DmitryFarber
GMATNinja

Could anyone of you be so kind and explain to me the use of 'where' in this sentence. I always felt like the GMAT was very strict with the use of where.
"Use it for locations such as Berlin, Rome, NYC, the village, the town etc."

I immediately eliminated splits (A) (B) because I felt the where is miss used in this context.
"The site where ..." makes still better logical sense for me as to say "the workshop where ..."

Wouldn't we use "the workshop in which ..."
I don't see the connection between where <-> and the workshop here.

Santa: "Where did I leave my sleigh keys?"
Elf: "You left your sleigh keys in the workshop."

So where will Santa go to look for his keys? He'll go to the workshop where he left his keys! The workshop is a location, so it makes perfect sense to use "where" to modify it.

I hope that helps! (And where's that elf emoji when we really need it?)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64887 [13]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
hazelnut wrote:

SC24561.01

Aviral1995
Responding to a pm:

Between (B) and (C), (C) is incorrect.

When we say "possible workshop", possible is modifying workshop, not the possible role played by the workshop. This doesn't make sense. These aren't different kind of workshops - possible and impossible. You can't have a possible apple or a possible table. The object could possibly be a table. Possible cannot be the modifier of a concrete object.

Option (B) clarifies that is might have been a workshop where statues were reproduced.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
I am really puzzled as to why "What might" option B is correct and not option C with "at the site".
Can you please help!
GMATNinja
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1731 [8]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
Send PM
Kudos