Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:40 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 289 [289]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [81]
Given Kudos: 130
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [18]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [5]
Send PM
Re: An array of tax incentives has led to a boom in the construction of ne [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
its_vishalsinha wrote:
Guys, please help me in solving the following SC.

An array of tax incentives has led to a boom in the construction of new office buildings; so abundant has
capital been for commercial real estate that investors regularly scour the country for areas in which to build.

(A) so abundant has capital been for commercial real estate that
(B) capital has been so abundant for commercial real estate, so that
(C) the abundance of capital for commercial real estate has been such,
(D) such has the abundance of capital been for commercial real estate that
(E) such has been an abundance of capital for commercial real estate,

I pick A

The origininal sentence can be re-constructed as:

"An array of tax incentives has led to a boom in the construction of new office buildings; capital for commercial real estate has been so abundant that investors regularly scour the country for areas in which to build"

I think A is the best choice

B. so ..., so that makes the sentence fragmented
C. it's wordy. the comma after such makes the sentence fragmented
D. it's wordy
E. run-on sentence
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Re: An array of tax incentives has led to a boom in the construction of ne [#permalink]
The OA is 'A'... unable to grasp the reasoning behind it...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
bulls wrote:
The OA is 'A'... unable to grasp the reasoning behind it...

In a normal written English, the sentence should have been (as I quoted earlier) like this: "An array of tax incentives has led to a boom in the construction of new office buildings; the capital for commercial real estate has been so abundant that investors regularly scour the country for areas in which to build."

However, GMAT altered the perfectly fine sentence to something appearing to be incorrect but is actually gramatically correct.

For example, one can say,"I would go home" or "Home I would go" are two perfectly correct sentences that has the same meaning.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2326 [4]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: IT Consultancy
 Q50  V38
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Send PM
Kudos
My answer is A. The option is using correct idiom "so...that..".

B. Out for using incorrect idiom "so..., so that"
C. Incorrect idiom
D. Correct idiom use "such .... that...". But option D is wordy as compared to option A. I would prefer the use of adjective "abundant" in option A, rather then use of noun "the abundance" in option D.
E. Incorrect idiom. The correct idiom should be "such .... that...".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 836 [2]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
its_vishalsinha wrote:

An array of tax incentives has led to a boom in the construction of new office buildings; so abundant has
capital been for commercial real estate that investors regularly scour the country for areas in which to build.

idiom so x that y.. only A.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [12]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
rphardu wrote:
its_vishalsinha wrote:

idiom so x that y.. only A.

Just wanted to point out that this is a good example of an idiomatic structure that isn't common on everyday speaking--but is definitely something you'll see on the GMAT. So just make a mental note of this structure "so [x]...that...[y]"

(A) it is! And if you were comfortable enough with identifying this idiomatic structure, you could have confidently picked (A) without reading too much into any of the other answer choices! This would save you precious seconds so you can focus more on the RC/CR questions with your time.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 568 [0]
Given Kudos: 164
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
mikemcgarry egmat

Can someone explain my query:

IC;IC structure or IC, so ........ are the two possible ways to join IC with IC

How come this sentence has both ; and so and is still correct?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 288
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
aragonn GMATNinja broall hazelnut generis AjiteshArun
In this SC problem
B is wrong because of incorrect idiom so...so that
C and E that is missing
Why D is wrong ?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [6]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
teaserbae

First, D changed meaning in comparison to A. 'Such' in D means more on the lines of type X. While A is talking about intensity. Also in D 'has' and 'been' should be together. For these reasons D is not a good choice.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 445
Schools: IIM (II)
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GPA: 3.84
Send PM
its_vishalsinha wrote:
An array of tax incentives has led to a boom in the construction of new office buildings; so abundant has capital been for commercial real estate that investors regularly scour the country for areas in which to build.

The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 10th Edition, 2003

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 20
Page: 656

Hello daagh sir,
Would appreciate your help to understand why option D of this problem is wrong. I understand that option A is correct, but not getting enough long to cancel out D.

Regards,
Tamal

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [8]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
The idiom is so adjective that as in A; Or it could be at least be such adjective that. It cannot be of such abundance as in D.

Originally posted by daagh on 25 Apr 2019, 01:44.
Last edited by daagh on 10 May 2019, 08:22, edited 1 time in total.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
anurag16 wrote:
mikemcgarry egmat

Can someone explain my query:

IC;IC structure or IC, so ........ are the two possible ways to join IC with IC

How come this sentence has both ; and so and is still correct?

Dear anurag16,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

The short answer to your question is that the word "so" has more than one use.

One use of "so" is as a subordinate conjunction. For example:
The student walked in late, so the teacher yelled at him.
Notice that this sentence has only one independent clause.
independent clause = the student walked in late
subordinate clause = so the teacher yelled at him
Notice that in any subordinate clause that begins with a subordinate conjunction, it is true 100% of the time that if we were to remove the subordinate conjunction, what follows could function as an independent clause. Nevertheless, as long as that subordinate conjunction is there, we are not allowed to count it as an independent clause. See:
GMAT Grammar: “On a White Bus” with Subordinate Conjunctions

In this SC problem, we are NOT using "so" as a subordinate conjunction.

A completely different use of "so" is as an intensifier for an adjective, in the structure:
so [adjective] that . . .
The Antarctic winter is so cold that frostbite occurs almost instantaneously.
Notice, it would be 100% correct and even quite sophisticated to change the word order:
So cold is the Antarctic winter that frostbite occurs almost instantaneously.
The word "so" has to come immediately before the adjective it intensifies, but there's no rule that the word "that" has to come right after. In fact, this latter wording is typical of very high quality writing because rhetorically it emphasizes both the adjective and the logical tension in the sentence. We hear "So cold is the . . . " and it immediately creates the question in the reader "how cold is it?" The sentence creates that tension and satisfies it only in the second half: this is a brilliant rhetorical device that elicits the reader's curiosity and draws the reader to read the entire sentence with that much more interest and attention. It is a particular example of the way in which a skilled writer might hook a reader's attention and drive that attention through the length of the piece.

This is precisely the rhetorical device that appears in (A), the OA.
. . . so abundant has capital been for commercial real estate that investors regularly scour the country for areas in which to build.
This is an independent clause. Perhaps this would be more clear if we were to change the word order to a more prosaic, pedestrian, and un-dramatic version, the "white bread only" phrasing of the information:
. . . capital for commercial real estate has been so abundant that investors regularly scour the country for areas in which to build.
This latter version makes the grammatical structure clearer to folks struggling to see this structure, but ultimately, that is not how language is used in the real world. In the real world, the artful use of language involves using all the elements of language together to communicate one's meaning most powerfully, and this is what version (A) does well.

Of course, what is so brilliant about using this sophisticated rhetorical construction after a semicolon is that all the students who mistake this for the subordinate conjunction use of "so" will think it's wrong! Among other things, it's a brilliant test about the difference between two very different uses of "so"! Official questions are always so brilliantly designed! As someone who writes questions professionally, I am continually in awe of the quality of the official questions!

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

As far as I know 'so' is coordinating conjunction(FANBOYS). Can 'so' also act as subordinating conjunction(on a white bus)? :roll:
Also, Magoosh blog (https://magoosh.com/gmat/2017/gmat-gram ... junctions/ ) cited by mikemcgarry has 'so' as subordinating conjunction.

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyTargetTestPrep , DmitryFarber , VeritasKarishma , generis , jennpt , other experts
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 325
Send PM
Hi, after reading through, i am still no sure why D is incorrect... is it only because of the idiom issue i.e. so x that y?

kindly help
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [3]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Skywalker18 wrote:
As far as I know 'so' is coordinating conjunction(FANBOYS). Can 'so' also act as subordinating conjunction(on a white bus)? :roll:
Also, Magoosh blog (https://magoosh.com/gmat/2017/gmat-gram ... junctions/ ) cited by mikemcgarry has 'so' as subordinating conjunction.

generis ,

Skywalker18 , yes. So can be a subordinating conjunction, but an admittedly limited data survey suggests that GMAC prefers the phrase "so that" over "so."

In formal writing generally, so is a subordinating conjunction when so implies purpose or result.
Often the construction is so that.

I reviewed OG 2020 to ensure that my impression from past reviews of questions was accurate.
A single official guide is not a completely reliable indicator of GMAC's position, but the guide's ~130 questions confirmed what I recalled.

Official guide patterns emerge.

-- The word so is not used alone to suggest consequence or purpose. In formal writing, often we are allowed to drop the word that, but GMAC does not seem to like the idea of dropping that.
If "so" seems to be suggesting purpose or causality, do not eliminate the answer on that basis alone unless you are down to two and the other answer uses "so that."
In other words, it is possible but unlikely that so has been used alone (or could be used alone) as a subordinating conjunction.

-- Language in the official explanations refers to so that as a causal phrase and thus indicates in a roundabout way that GMAC considers so that a subordinating conjunction. Examples are beneath the spoiler.

Spoiler alert: to discuss so that, I reveal five incorrect answers from four official questions.

So that is a subordinating conjunction in #778(D), 839(B), 862(D), and 883(D and E).
All: The questions are here.

• Not one of those answers is correct, BUT
• not one of the OEs says, "SO THAT is not a subordinating conjunction."
• Quite the opposite seems to be the case: so that is characterized as expressing consequence or causality—and thus is a subordinating conjunction. From OG 2020:

-- 778(D): so that the companies seem larger
OE: Clauses beginning so that can express purpose, but [this option is inaccurate on other grounds; the prompt requires the prepositions to or for].

-- 839(B) a thick needle layer protects buds from where new growth proceeds, so that they can withstand forest fires relatively well
OE: In this context, needle layer is less precise than the more standard layer of needles, which makes it clear that the layer is composed of needles rather than being, for example, a layer of needles. From where is . .. redundant in using two words that express the idea of location (from and where) instead of one.
No mention of SO THAT

-- 862D) companies, so that they rarely hold more than one percent
OE: The singular pronoun they refers to a mutual fund and thus should be singular
No mention of SO THAT

-- 883 (D and E)
(D) so that compared with previous Novembers, sales of light trucks this past November
OE: The sentence illogically compares sales of light trucks with previous Novembers. The conjunction so that nonsensically introduces a causal relationship between November's typically strong sales and the aforementioned comparison.

(E) so that this past November’s sales, even compared with previous Novembers’ sales,
OE: Like (D), [so that in] this sentence introduces a nonsensical causal relationship, in this case [between different but also incorrect things.]

Other sources that confirm the usage of so that as a subordinating conjunction.

Oxford Online Dictionary (1.1) , here. The example sentence is
It was overgrown with brambles, so that I had difficulty making any progress.
The sentence means: Because it was overgrown with brambles, I had difficulty making any progress.

Cambridge Online Dictionary states, We use so as a subordinating conjunction to introduce clauses of result or decision.
Scroll down to So as a conjunction, HERE.

So is described as a "weird" conjunction in this article, HERE, in which the author notes, "When so shows purpose, it acts like a subordinating conjunction."

Controversy exists about so, standing alone, as a subordinating conjunction; that fact that may inform your question.
GMAC seems to avoid the issue and to use so that rather than so.

Hope that helps.
Intern
Intern
Status:Your greatest achievement lies in overcoming your biggest weakness.
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [4]
Given Kudos: 5
GPA: 3.8
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos