Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jun 2016, 08:25
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

An artistic presence of the first order, one frequently

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Jun 2007
Posts: 59
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

An artistic presence of the first order, one frequently [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2007, 12:05
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

71% (01:53) correct 29% (00:57) wrong based on 28 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

109. An artistic presence of the first order, one frequently ranked with Picasso, Stravinsky, and James Joyce, Martha Graham was acclaimed as a great dancer long before her innovative masterworks made her the most honored of American choreographers.

(A) Martha Graham was acclaimed as
(B) Martha Graham was acclaimed to be
(C) Martha Graham’s acclaim is as
(D) Martha Graham’s acclaim to be
(E) Martha Graham’s acclaim was in being
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 1366
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 458 [0], given: 10

Reviews Badge
Re: SC-109 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2007, 12:51
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
crazy123 wrote:
109. An artistic presence of the first order, one frequently ranked with Picasso, Stravinsky, and James Joyce, Martha Graham was acclaimed as a great dancer long before her innovative masterworks made her the most honored of American choreographers.

(A) Martha Graham was acclaimed as
(B) Martha Graham was acclaimed to be
(C) Martha Graham’s acclaim is as
(D) Martha Graham’s acclaim to be
(E) Martha Graham’s acclaim was in being



Possesive Noun is incorrect after the modifier
->C,D,E are out

Between A and B, A wins.
"acclaim as" is the correct idiom.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 1366
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 458 [0], given: 10

Reviews Badge
Re: SC-109 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2007, 09:21
eyunni wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:
crazy123 wrote:
109. An artistic presence of the first order, one frequently ranked with Picasso, Stravinsky, and James Joyce, Martha Graham was acclaimed as a great dancer long before her innovative masterworks made her the most honored of American choreographers.

(A) Martha Graham was acclaimed as
(B) Martha Graham was acclaimed to be
(C) Martha Graham’s acclaim is as
(D) Martha Graham’s acclaim to be
(E) Martha Graham’s acclaim was in being


Is "acclaimed to be" not idiomatic?


Yes "acclaimed to be" is an idiom. Do a google search and you will see the context it is used in.

For this particular SC "acclaim as" suits well.

An artistic presence of the first order, one frequently ranked with Picasso, Stravinsky, and James Joyce, Martha Graham was acclaimed to be a great dancer long before her innovative masterworks made her the most honored of American choreographers.

"acclaimes to be" sounds as if Martha Graham is claiming to be a great dancer. "acclamation" is won from others. My two cents :)
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 2756
Location: New York City
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 639 [0], given: 4

Re: SC-109 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2007, 12:18
goalsnr wrote:
eyunni wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:
crazy123 wrote:
109. An artistic presence of the first order, one frequently ranked with Picasso, Stravinsky, and James Joyce, Martha Graham was acclaimed as a great dancer long before her innovative masterworks made her the most honored of American choreographers.

(A) Martha Graham was acclaimed as
(B) Martha Graham was acclaimed to be
(C) Martha Graham’s acclaim is as
(D) Martha Graham’s acclaim to be
(E) Martha Graham’s acclaim was in being


Is "acclaimed to be" not idiomatic?


Yes "acclaimed to be" is an idiom. Do a google search and you will see the context it is used in.

For this particular SC "acclaim as" suits well.

An artistic presence of the first order, one frequently ranked with Picasso, Stravinsky, and James Joyce, Martha Graham was acclaimed to be a great dancer long before her innovative masterworks made her the most honored of American choreographers.

"acclaimes to be" sounds as if Martha Graham is claiming to be a great dancer. "acclamation" is won from others. My two cents :)


acclaim is not the same as claim.

B is wrong because TO BE is passive and the correct GMATland idiom is acclaim as.

GMAT grammar is the not same as Standard Written English.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Status: Now or never
Joined: 07 Aug 2010
Posts: 328
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 27

Premium Member
Re: SC-109 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2011, 11:10
IMO it should be B , can someone provide the list of GMATland idioms please ??
_________________

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

Math Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2010
Posts: 2022
Followers: 155

Kudos [?]: 1482 [0], given: 376

Re: SC-109 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2011, 11:18
crackHSW wrote:
IMO it should be B , can someone provide the list of GMATland idioms please ??

gmat-idioms-80342.html#p603458
_________________

~fluke

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 8036
Followers: 733

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: An artistic presence of the first order, one frequently [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2015, 14:05
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Dec 2013
Posts: 315
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 113

Re: An artistic presence of the first order, one frequently [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2015, 23:24
A for me too.

Please post OA. The correct idiom for Acclaim is 'as' hence straight B and D are out. We need the noun standing so the beginning of the sentence can relate to Martha Graham.



crazy123 wrote:
109. An artistic presence of the first order, one frequently ranked with Picasso, Stravinsky, and James Joyce, Martha Graham was acclaimed as a great dancer long before her innovative masterworks made her the most honored of American choreographers.

(A) Martha Graham was acclaimed as
(B) Martha Graham was acclaimed to be
(C) Martha Graham’s acclaim is as
(D) Martha Graham’s acclaim to be
(E) Martha Graham’s acclaim was in being

_________________

Kudos to you, for helping me with some KUDOS.

Re: An artistic presence of the first order, one frequently   [#permalink] 29 Jun 2015, 23:24
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
3 Artists at the workshop, one who is an award winner, will jitbec 6 05 Mar 2012, 10:45
The first observable presence of Islam in Poland begun in tingle15 2 26 Jun 2010, 04:09
2 Artists metallicafan 5 22 Apr 2010, 23:58
An artistic presence of the first order, one frequently sagarsabnis 2 26 Aug 2009, 14:03
An artistic presence of the first order, one frequently ssandeepan 0 06 Aug 2008, 18:05
Display posts from previous: Sort by

An artistic presence of the first order, one frequently

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.