Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 15:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

An attempt to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment, begun

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 149

GMAT Tests User
Re: To attempt to/for? [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2011, 04:40
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/mis ... -t715.html[url][/url]

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: To attempt to/for? [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2011, 09:43
A, idiom and tense structure together eliminate all other choices
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: To attempt to/for? [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2011, 11:43
I got it wrong :(
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 10

Re: To attempt to/for? [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2011, 20:52
A for me! attempt to is the key here..E seems too awkward..has begun is incorrect (Past Perfect is always Had + Past Participle)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 7

Re: To attempt to/for? [#permalink] New post 12 May 2011, 07:27
A. The expression is usually an "attempt to". The rest have incorrect idioms.

If you like my post, consider giving me KUDOS!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: To attempt to/for? [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2011, 14:54
A..

But the question seems very un-gmat like!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 10

Re: An attempt to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment, begun [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 09:41
This post received
KUDOS
Idiom: is it attempt to, attempt for, or attempt at?
Here it is "Attempt to", so eliminate B, C, and D.

In E, present perfect is the wrong verb tense to use, despite its apparent consistency with "has been unsuccessful".
Present perfect is typically used for actions that began in the past and continue into the present. It can also be used to specify a past event at an indefinite point in the past.
Here, the "two decades ago" makes present perfect an incorrect tense.
Consider "I have lived in New York five years ago." -- doesn't sound right and it isn't right.

So The correct answer is A.
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1188

Kudos [?]: 3169 [0], given: 178

Re: An attempt to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment, begun [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2012, 10:42
Expert's post
Hi All,
An attempt to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment, begun almost two decades ago, has been unsuccessful despite efforts by many important groups, including the National Organization for Women.

I would like to begin this post with a word of caution. This sentence is not structured in the most appropriate manner to adhere with the GMAT standards. Many of you may ask and have actually asked that the way verb-ed modifier “begun” has been placed, it can also modify “Equal Rights Amendment”. “begun” is a noun modifier and hence this confusion is unavoidable. So just solve this question and move on.

PoE

(A) to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment, begun almost two decades ago,: This is the correct answer choice.

(B) begun almost two decades ago, for ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment: Since the purpose of the attempt is to ratify the amendment, we must use to + verb form here. “for ratifying” is not appropriate.

(C) begun for ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment almost two decades ago: Same error as in choice B.

(D) at ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment, begun almost two decades ago,: Same reason as for choices B and C. “at ratifying” to the show the purpose is not appropriate.

(E) that has begun almost two decades ago to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment: This choice a verb tense issue. Notice the main verb “has been unsuccessful”. This means that the attempt started in the past and showed some result in the present. Hence, present perfect “has begun” is incorrect.

Take this sentence for example: The project that started two years ago has been successful. (Correct)
The project that has started two years ago has been successful. (Incorrect)

We know that the attempt to ratify the amendment has been unsuccessful. Here, we are talking about the attempt that started two years back and now has been unsuccessful.

Hope this helps.
Shraddha

Free Webinar: July 26, 2014 - Ace GMAT RC: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to apply the Reading Strategies critical to ace the GMAT Reading Comprehension. Click here to register.

Intern
Intern
WE 1: 6 years

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: An attempt to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment, begun [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2012, 21:53
I Agree!! Even i spent some 30 odd seconds looking at A, after having cancelled the others, just because the modifier didnt look right to me. BUT as they say, "which one is a the best among all". The best among the 5 options is A. Lets look at them one by one.

An attempt to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment, begun almost two decades ago, has been unsuccessful despite efforts by many important groups, including the National Organization for Women.
(A) to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment, begun almost two decades ago, (Attempt to ratify is the correct idiom. I agree that begun almost...seems to modify the amendment. But before cancelling this one out, lets look at others.)
(B) begun almost two decades ago, for ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment (attempt for ratifying isnt the correct idiom. The modifier is placed correctly though. If this sentence had to ratify, i would have picked this one.)
(C) begun for ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment almost two decades ago (Attempt for ratitying is inidiomatic)
(D) at ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment, begun almost two decades ago, (attempt at ratifying isnt correct. Someone asked "my attempt at GMAT is correct, so why is attempt at ratifying not?". Ratify is a verb whereas GMAT, which is an exam, is a noun. Try to make a sentence using my attempt at <verb>. EXPERTS, PLEASE COMMENT ON THIS.)
(E) that has begun almost two decades ago to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment (Has begun is present perfect tense, and therefore cannot be true in this context. Rather a simple past tense would work.)
Haas Thread Master
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.3
WE: Design (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 34

Reviews Badge
Re: An attempt to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment, begun [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 07:10
egmat wrote:
Hi All,

I would like to begin this post with a word of caution. This sentence is not structured in the most appropriate manner to adhere with the GMAT standards. Many of you may ask and have actually asked that the way verb-ed modifier “begun” has been placed, it can also modify “Equal Rights Amendment”. “begun” is a noun modifier and hence this confusion is unavoidable. So just solve this question and move on.

PoE

(A) to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment, begun almost two decades ago,: This is the correct answer choice.

(B) begun almost two decades ago, for ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment: Since the purpose of the attempt is to ratify the amendment, we must use to + verb form here. “for ratifying” is not appropriate.

(C) begun for ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment almost two decades ago: Same error as in choice B.

(D) at ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment, begun almost two decades ago,: Same reason as for choices B and C. “at ratifying” to the show the purpose is not appropriate.

(E) that has begun almost two decades ago to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment: This choice a verb tense issue. Notice the main verb “has been unsuccessful”. This means that the attempt started in the past and showed some result in the present. Hence, present perfect “has begun” is incorrect.

Take this sentence for example: The project that started two years ago has been successful. (Correct)
The project that has started two years ago has been successful. (Incorrect)

We know that the attempt to ratify the amendment has been unsuccessful. Here, we are talking about the attempt that started two years back and now has been unsuccessful.

Hope this helps.
Shraddha

I will have to agree with this comment. It is not a very well constructed question, not atleast for the GMAT. I wonder if there is much value in studying it
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 70

Re: An attempt to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment, begun [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2013, 06:08
Correct usage of "attempt" is attempt + to + verb

A) Grammatically and idiomatically correct.
B) "for ratifying" is incorrect.
C) "for ratifying" is incorrect.
D) "at ratifying" is incorrect.
E) "has begun" is used incorrectly making two events disjoint. The structure "An attempt that has begun two decades ago, has been unsuccessful" is incorrect. Correct form will be "An attempt that begun two decades ago, has been unsuccessful".

Correct answer is A.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 70

Re: An attempt to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment, begun [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2013, 06:10
This question is not well-constructed. It is better to stay away from the questions from dubious sources.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GPA: 3.49
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Re: An attempt to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment, begun [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2013, 02:50
Economist wrote:

(A) to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment, begun almost two decades ago,
(B) begun almost two decades ago, for ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment
(C) begun for ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment almost two decades ago
(D) at ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment, begun almost two decades ago,
(E) that has begun almost two decades ago to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment

SCtest3-15

attempt takes to / for with verb/noun, so this rule can eliminate B, C, D but in case for A/ E how can we eliminate E ??

please explain ....
what difference does has begun/ begun bring to this sentence ??
begun is past and has begun is present perfect ? if so why do we prefer past ?? please explain ....................
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: An attempt to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment, begun [#permalink] New post 15 May 2014, 01:13
(A) to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment, begun almost two decades ago, --- CORRECT
(B) begun almost two decades ago, for ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment ----- For ratifying is wrong idiom
(C) begun for ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment almost two decades ago begun --- ----- For ratifying is wrong idiom
(D) at ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment, begun almost two decades ago, ---- --- Attempt at is wrong idiom
(E) that has begun almost two decades ago to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment ----- -- 'Has' is wrong tense, it is not continuing till present
Re: An attempt to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment, begun   [#permalink] 15 May 2014, 01:13