Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 03:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

An economic or political crisis in a poor country can lead

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 419 [2] , given: 56

An economic or political crisis in a poor country can lead [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2009, 23:30
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

48% (02:36) correct 52% (01:35) wrong based on 535 sessions
An economic or political crisis in a poor country can lead to a lack of faith in the country's leaders, which is often followed by violent behavior, dissent, and even revolt among specific segments of the population. In many cases, propaganda is immediately issued from media outlets that quells such reactions by downplaying the extent of the recent crisis, thereby helping to restore belief in the efficacy of the government. However, the habitual violence exhibited by certain groups of disaffected youths in such countries generally has nothing to do with a lack of faith in their leaders, but rather is the consequence of an endemic boredom and lack of any vision of a positive future for themselves.

Which of the following statements follows most logically from the statements in the passage above?

(A) It is easier to quell periodic revolts in poor countries than it is to solve the habitual problem of youth violence.
(B) In all poor countries, propaganda alone cannot entirely diffuse dissent stemming from an economic or political crisis.
(C) Economic and political crises do not lead to any instances of youth violence in poor countries.
(D) The effect that propaganda has in putting down revolts in poor countries is primarily related to its ability to alter people's fundamental beliefs.
(E) To the extent that propaganda may help to decrease youth violence in a poor country, it is probably not the result of restoring the youths' faith in their country's leadership.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Director
Director
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 18

Re: Economic and political crisis [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2009, 23:36
B looks the best. OA?
bigoyal wrote:
An economic or political crisis in a poor country can lead to a lack of faith in the country's leaders, which is often followed by violent behavior, dissent, and even revolt among specific segments of the population. In many cases, propaganda is immediately issued from media outlets that quells such reactions by downplaying the extent of the recent crisis, thereby helping to restore belief in the efficacy of the government. However, the habitual violence exhibited by certain groups of disaffected youths in such countries generally has nothing to do with a lack of faith in their leaders, but rather is the consequence of an endemic boredom and lack of any vision of a positive future for themselves.

Which of the following statements follows most logically from the statements in the passage above?

(A) It is easier to quell periodic revolts in poor countries than it is to solve the habitual problem of youth violence.
(B) In all poor countries, propaganda alone cannot entirely diffuse dissent stemming from an economic or political crisis.
(C) Economic and political crises do not lead to any instances of youth violence in poor countries.
(D) The effect that propaganda has in putting down revolts in poor countries is primarily related to its ability to alter people's fundamental beliefs.
E) To the extent that propaganda may help to decrease youth violence in a poor country, it is probably not the result of restoring the youths' faith in their country's leadership.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 9

Re: Economic and political crisis [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2009, 09:30
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I would go for E.

(A) It is easier to quell periodic revolts in poor countries than it is to solve the habitual problem of youth violence.------- We have no information to compare the two revolts.
(B) In all poor countries, propaganda alone cannot entirely diffuse dissent stemming from an economic or political crisis.------- generalizing the statement is incorrect.
(C) Economic and political crises do not lead to any instances of youth violence in poor countries.------ contrary to the main idea.
(D) The effect that propaganda has in putting down revolts in poor countries is primarily related to its ability to alter people's fundamental beliefs.--------propaganda does not alter the believes of the people, it restores the belief in the efficacy of the government.
E) To the extent that propaganda may help to decrease youth violence in a poor country, it is probably not the result of restoring the youths' faith in their country's leadership.-------- correct.

"Always....Read between the lines"

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 238 [1] , given: 18

Re: Economic and political crisis [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2009, 09:33
This post received
KUDOS
I am not cent percent sure of the answer but B cant be ruled out because of "all poor countries". The argument talks about poor country in general. Its not talking about 'a specific poor country'.
aknine wrote:
I would go for E.

(A) It is easier to quell periodic revolts in poor countries than it is to solve the habitual problem of youth violence.------- We have no information to compare the two revolts.
(B) In all poor countries, propaganda alone cannot entirely diffuse dissent stemming from an economic or political crisis.------- generalizing the statement is incorrect.
(C) Economic and political crises do not lead to any instances of youth violence in poor countries.------ contrary to the main idea.
(D) The effect that propaganda has in putting down revolts in poor countries is primarily related to its ability to alter people's fundamental beliefs.--------propaganda does not alter the believes of the people, it restores the belief in the efficacy of the government.
E) To the extent that propaganda may help to decrease youth violence in a poor country, it is probably not the result of restoring the youths' faith in their country's leadership.-------- correct.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 9

Re: Economic and political crisis [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2009, 09:47
Economist wrote:
I am not cent percent sure of the answer but B cant be ruled out because of "all poor countries". The argument talks about poor country in general. Its not talking about 'a specific poor country'.

Yes, right.. the argument talks about the poor countries in general....

"An economic or political crisis in a poor country can lead to a lack of faith in the country's leaders, which is often followed by violent behavior, dissent, and even revolt among specific segments of the population..."

but option B says.. that in all poor countries... this is what i feel is incorrect..because, it is generalizing the statement for every poor country.. which might not be what the author claims..

Just think about it...

"Always....Read between the lines"

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 100 [1] , given: 15

Re: Economic and political crisis [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2009, 10:29
This post received
KUDOS
Well B looks close, but D would be the best option for me.

Problem with B is that it talks about "entirely diffusing dissent" whereas the passage talks about media using propaganda and bringing back people's faith in the government. Riots and violent behavior cannot be diffused completely, but for those who dissent (disagree), propaganda does help.

So though propaganda might not be able to control riots or violent behavior, "dissent" is more a matter of beliefs, which does get quelled by propaganda, thereby pacifying any revolts "due to such dissent".

D talks about propaganda working through the instrument of "faith/belief". Most logically concluded.
Director
Director

Re: Economic and political crisis [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2009, 11:46
How I comprehend this:

economical/political criisis >> lack of faith >> violent behavior... And this violent behavior can be supressed by media... Now the argument changes course...notice the word "however"...there will always be violence by certain youths due to xyz reasons.

which means that...even if media supresses violent behavior, some violence will always be present due to the youths...B says this..

I am interested in OA.

bigoyal wrote:

E) To the extent that propaganda may help to decrease youth violence in a poor country, it is probably not the result of restoring the youths' faith in their country's leadership.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 100 [1] , given: 15

Re: Economic and political crisis [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2009, 12:20
This post received
KUDOS
Economist wrote:
How I comprehend this:

economical/political criisis >> lack of faith >> violent behavior... And this violent behavior can be supressed by media... Now the argument changes course...notice the word "however"...there will always be violence by certain youths due to xyz reasons.

which means that...even if media supresses violent behavior, some violence will always be present due to the youths...B says this..

I am interested in OA.

You are equating violent behavior to "dissent from political crisis" which are not the same.

dissent leads to violent behavior in certain section, again there are certain other sections that will always be violent irrespective of dissent. "B" talks about the "dissent from political crisis" ...... not about violent behavior. Try to see the difference.
Director
Director

Re: Economic and political crisis [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2009, 13:03
I donno. I may be wrong here. Lets await OA. BTW: for me, text in blue refers to the same problem because of text in red..we are not only talking about violence

An economic or political crisis in a poor country can lead to a lack of faith in the country's leaders, which is often followed by violent behavior, dissent, and even revolt among specific segments of the population. In many cases, propaganda is immediately issued from media outlets that quells such reactions by downplaying the extent of the recent crisis, thereby helping to restore belief in the efficacy of the government. However, the habitual violence exhibited by certain groups of disaffected youths in such countries generally has nothing to do with a lack of faith in their leaders, but rather is the consequence of an endemic boredom and lack of any vision of a positive future for themselves
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 13

Re: Economic and political crisis [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2009, 14:20
Nice discussion folks.

but I couldnt find the reasons convincing to rule out B.

OA please.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Economic and political crisis [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2009, 17:27
B is excluded, as it states "all poor countries", and is then absolute in its judgement, when this state may not be true, and the youth behavior may not be endemic to all cultures who exist in a poor or poverty condition.

I find E to be reflect best.

It is a simple summary of the question statement. It supports that though violence may lessen generally among various youth groups when met with propaganda, other motivations towards or away from violence exist which are not affected by the country's leadership.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 1

Re: Economic and political crisis [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2009, 17:34
I am with E.

B cannot be the correct option because it fails to pick up one of the evidences in the question (about the youth). So it simply cannot be the answer. Waitin for the OA!

Is this okay?

Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 419 [0], given: 56

Re: Economic and political crisis [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2009, 22:05
This post was
BOOKMARKED
OA is E.

Sorry for making you wait for such a long time. Also, thanks to everyone. I think now I'm clear about the explanation.

Also, as per OE,
B is out for using "all poor countries...."
D is out for using "primarily related..."

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Economic and political crisis [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2009, 04:39
good question.
The ans E correctly avoided the strong words
Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 190 [0], given: 106

Re: Economic and political crisis [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2009, 08:57
Agree with E

---
(1:50)

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Economic and political crisis [#permalink] New post 25 May 2010, 06:43
I thought it was D, I don't see why primarily makes it wrong, but I take that is because it mentions fundamental belief instead of belief in the goverment or belief in the vision of the goverment
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 14

Re: Economic and political crisis [#permalink] New post 25 May 2010, 07:25
I will also go with E .

Did it in 1:30 mins

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 2 yrs - Oilfield Service
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 7

Reviews Badge
Re: Economic and political crisis [#permalink] New post 25 May 2010, 23:35
I noticed B has been ruled out mostly for "all poor countries"

According to me, there is another error. The passage tells us that the aspects of violent behavior exhibited by the bored / vision-lacking youth are unaffected by propaganda as they have little to do with the economic/political crises.

We would then be able to infer that propaganda may not suffice to thwart dissent sourced at factors other than these crises. We cannot conclude as to the extent of its efficacy in dealing with direct results of the crises.

Therefore, it cannot follow from the passage that propaganda cannot entirely diffuse this kind of dissent. It quite possibly could, and the passage does not rule out this possibility. Though it says "thereby helping to restore belief in the efficacy of the government" .... this does not rule out the possibility that this restored belief succeeds in completely diffusing dissent stemming from an economic or political crisis, thought it may not affect the dissent that stems from boredom or a lack of vision.

I hope this makes sense.

A. Incorrect because nothing is said about the ease of either issue.
B. Read above.
C. Extreme statement, unjustified by parallel extremes in the passage.
D. No mention of "altering fundamental beliefs" in the passage.

E. I found this really tricky to accept, though I would have chosen it simply because I eliminated the other choices. The logic behind this statement lies in the fact that any effect that propaganda has on reducing YOUTH violence, is PROBABLY not due to restoring lack of faith in leadership (Since many youth groups are unconcerned with this), but possibly (and though the statement doesn't provide an alternate reason) because such propaganda provides glimpses of a positive future for such youth.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 42

Re: Economic and political crisis [#permalink] New post 26 May 2010, 10:37
E is absolutely the correct answer.
BSchool Thread Master
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 76

Re: Economic and political crisis [#permalink] New post 26 May 2010, 10:48
I also think that E is the correct answer.
Re: Economic and political crisis   [#permalink] 26 May 2010, 10:48