Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 256 [14]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [2]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 671 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Piano [#permalink]
Kudos
narrowed down to D & E.....marked E....****!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [2]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Kudos
Let us first look at what the stimulus is telling us.

1. Electric pianos have better frequencies than the recognized Grand Pianos
2. Professional Pianists don't accept these as better because they sound different from the recognized Grand Pianos.
3. These people are the only accepted judges of piano quality.

What is the conclusion you can draw from this?

That professional pianists wouldn't accept electric pianos to being superior over Grand pianos. Now let's look at answer choices. Comments in red/green.

suyashjhawar wrote:
An electric piano designed to have perfect frequency for each note would sound different than the best Baldwin or Steinbach Grand Piano currently available.
To professional pianists, a piano that sounds different from the best Grand Pianos sounds less like a piano and therefore worse than the best-sounding existing pianos.[highlight]Professional pianists are the only accepted judges of the quality of pianos.[/highlight]

Which of the following would be best supported by these statements?

a)Only amateur pianists should be asked to judge the sound of electric pianos. This is directly opposing the highlighted statement. Incorrect.
b)Professional pianists assist in designing electric pianos. There is nothing mentioned about professional pianists designing these pianos; the stimulus only talks about judging the pianos. Hence incorrect.
c)The best sounding grand pianos have been around for over one hundred years. Completely irrelevant. Nothing in the stimulus tells us anything about the age of these pianos. Incorrect.
d)It is currently impossible to create an electric piano that accepted judges will evaluate as being an improvement on existing grand pianos. True. This was the inference we had drawn from the passage. Hence correct.
e)It is possible to create an electric piano that sounds better to everyone except a professional pianist. This is out of scope. We are not told about how other people might perceive perfect "frequencies". Hence incorrect.

Hope this helps.

Dawgie wrote:
E. Confusing one for me, it doesn't really say anything in the stimulus about how others perceive electric pianos?

No, if the stimulus doesn't explicitly or specifically state anything about the preferences of other people, then we can rule out the possibility of it being the right answer under the argument of it being "out of scope". An answer in an inference type question must be fully supported by the stimulus. Hence the correct answer would have the tone of "certainty" as opposed to "possibility". Hope this clears up your doubt.
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: $ Finance $
Schools:Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
 Q50  V37
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Send PM
Whiplash,
I am confused.
D says it is IMPOSSIBLE to... Well the stimulus says that "an electric piano designed to..", and that the "professional pianists are the only ones to judge".. If professional pianists are the only ones to judge and clearly they don't like the sound of the so-designed pianos, and it is clear that the world is made up of people other than the professional pianists, why cannot we infer that there are other people to whom the pianos would sound better than they do to the professional pianists? To me D is strongly worded. E leaves a possibility open. What is really in-scope and what is really out of scope.

if the stimulus says A does not like B, is it not reasonable to infer that not(As) might like B?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
mainhoon wrote:
Whiplash,
I am confused.
D says it is IMPOSSIBLE to... Well the stimulus says that "an electric piano designed to..", and that the "professional pianists are the only ones to judge".. If professional pianists are the only ones to judge and clearly they don't like the sound of the so-designed pianos, and it is clear that the world is made up of people other than the professional pianists, why cannot we infer that there are other people to whom the pianos would sound better than they do to the professional pianists? To me D is strongly worded. E leaves a possibility open. What is really in-scope and what is really out of scope.

if the stimulus says A does not like B, is it not reasonable to infer that not(As) might like B?

Professional pianists are a group of people who can judge whether a piano is better than the existing grand pianos. The stimulus says that these people don't like the sound of the electric pianos. Hence it would be IMPOSSIBLE for these judges to ever admit that an electric piano is better than the existing Grand Pianos.

It is currently impossible to create an electric piano that [highlight]accepted judges[/highlight]will evaluate as being an improvement on existing grand pianos.

We are clear on the notion that accepted judges, i.e. the professional pianists will never accept an electric piano to be better than the existing pianos. This is exactly what option D says, that it is IMPOSSIBLE to create an electric piano that the accepted judges, i.e. professional pianists, would evaluate as being better than existing pianos.

This basically breaks down to saying that professional pianists will NEVER accept any electric piano to being better than a grand piano. This is what the conclusion from the stimulus says as well.

Quote:
why cannot we infer that there are other people to whom the pianos would sound better than they do to the professional pianists?
Because we don't care about the other people. Option D talks about accepted judges, and that refers only to the professional pianists. Not anyone else.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [2]
 Q50  V37
Send PM
Kudos
Well then "An electric piano designed to have perfect frequency for each note would sound different than the best Baldwin or Steinbach Grand Piano currently available." reading this I assumed there are other electric pianos that can behave differently, meaning that this only refers to a class of electric pianos that are "designed to have a perfect frequency', clearly there are other electric pianos out there.. I note that the stimululs says that these professional pianists dislike the "pianos that sound different", it does not say "electric pianos".. So with this mind:

D - refers to electric pianos. What about the electric pianos that are not designed the way the stimulus mentions them.. perhaps they can be liked by professional pianists?
E- also refers to electric pianos. It is a possibility.

I would tend to agree with you had the stimulus flat out stated that the professional pianists disliked electric pianos, however it refers to "pianos that are different sounding".. Are all electric pianos different sounding? I can't make that conclusion from the stimulus...
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [0]
Send PM
The stimulus clearly states that electric pianos would sound different. And we can take this as a given.

The thing that struck me as odd about E was the fact that we are NOT given ANY information about how other people perceive these pianos. So we cannot assume the stimulus supports that when there is no information given to us at all.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [0]
 Q50  V37
Send PM
Well I see your point.. I guess the thing is it is what GMAT thinks is right.. However, I still am not convinced that saying "A object designed to have X" means that all A's have X. If that were the case then it would just say "All As have X", the designed to is not required... And I noticed that the pianists were dealing with "different sounding" pianos, no reference to electric pianos anymore..

I think in the Verbal section the best you can do is in SC, then RC and then in CR. CRs can be debatable unlike SC... Good discussion though
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Haha, that is true. There is no concrete example because it's all a matter of perspective sometime. You just gotta learn to think like the GMAT.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 256 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Whiplash really well explained.Even i felt for the trap.Really liked this CR.Once again for the wonderful healthy discussions....Gmat Club Rocks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 262 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Is this a 700+ question??? Does anyone know?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
It's tagged as a 700 Level Question. Please look for these things before posting, thank you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
D is the only ans..
E is incorrect..as we dnt know abt everyone..may b everyone agree with professional pianist...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Technology, General Management
Schools: ISB '18
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: An electric piano designed to have perfect frequency for [#permalink]
Shouldnt we try to avoid extreme and biased answer on Gmat . " Impossible seems to me as quite an extreme word ; however E does leaves some room for a possibility ;

So to sum up - i generally avoid these extreme words like - impossible , unanimous , Never , Surely , only -

Am i wrong in my approach ? Can any of the experts reply to this please .
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts