Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 08:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

An empty swimming pool with a capacity of 75,000 liters is

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Preparing for the 4th time -:(
Joined: 25 Jun 2011
Posts: 564
Location: United Kingdom
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT Date: 06-22-2012
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 423 [3] , given: 217

GMAT Tests User
An empty swimming pool with a capacity of 75,000 liters is [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2012, 15:06
3
This post received
KUDOS
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

69% (02:10) correct 31% (01:09) wrong based on 487 sessions
An empty swimming pool with a capacity of 75,000 liters is to be filled by hoses X and Y simultaneously. If the amount of water flowing from each hose is independent of the amount flowing from the other hose, how long, in hours, will it take to fi…ll the pool?

(1) If hose X stopped fi…lling the pool after hoses X and Y had filled half the pool, it would take 21 hours to fi…ll the pool.
(2) If hose Y stopped fi…lling the pool after hoses X and Y had filled half the pool, it would take 16 hours to fi…ll the pool.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Best Regards,
E.

MGMAT 1 --> 530
MGMAT 2--> 640
MGMAT 3 ---> 610 :-(

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 29676
Followers: 3496

Kudos [?]: 26351 [4] , given: 2710

Re: Hoses X & Y [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2012, 15:30
4
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
An empty swimming pool with a capacity of 75,000 liters is to be filled by hoses X and Y simultaneously. If the amount of water flowing from each hose is independent of the amount flowing from the other hose, how long, in hours, will it take to fi…ll the pool?

(1) If hose X stopped fi…lling the pool after hoses X and Y had filled half the pool, it would take 21 hours to fi…ll the pool. After hose X stops, hose Y continues filling the remaining half of the pool alone, and we are told that it needs 21 hours for that, hence to fill the whole pool it needs 21*2=42 hours. We know the rate of Y, though know nothing about the rate of X. Not sufficient.

(2) If hose Y stopped fi…lling the pool after hoses X and Y had filled half the pool, it would take 16 hours to fi…ll the pool. Reverse case: after hose Y stops, hose X continues filling the remaining half of the pool alone, and we are told that it needs 16 hours for that, hence to fill the whole pool it needs 16*2=32 hours. We know the rate of X, though know nothing about the rate of Y. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) We know the rates of both hose X and Y, hence we can calculate the time they'll need to fi…ll the pool of 75,000 liters. Sufficient.

Answer: C.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 29676
Followers: 3496

Kudos [?]: 26351 [0], given: 2710

Re: An empty swimming pool with a capacity of 75,000 liters is [#permalink] New post 30 May 2013, 03:56
Expert's post
Bumping for review and further discussion*. Get a kudos point for an alternative solution!

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

Theory on work/rate problems: work-word-problems-made-easy-87357.html
All DS work/rate problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=46
All PS work/rate problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=66

_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2013
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: An empty swimming pool with a capacity of 75,000 liters is [#permalink] New post 31 May 2013, 07:55
I was a bit confused with this question. My interpretation of the time to fill to pool was that it was the total time. So the time would include the time taken for X and Y to fill the pool to half plus the time for Y (orX) to fill the other half.

Timica
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 29676
Followers: 3496

Kudos [?]: 26351 [0], given: 2710

Re: An empty swimming pool with a capacity of 75,000 liters is [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2013, 04:47
Expert's post
timica wrote:
I was a bit confused with this question. My interpretation of the time to fill to pool was that it was the total time. So the time would include the time taken for X and Y to fill the pool to half plus the time for Y (orX) to fill the other half.

Timica


Consider this: the pool is to be filled by hoses X and Y simultaneously. The question is: how long, in hours, will it take to fill the pool?
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Working & 1st GMAT 750
Joined: 01 Dec 2012
Posts: 85
Location: United States (OH)
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 57

Re: An empty swimming pool with a capacity of 75,000 liters is [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2013, 12:16
Hi ! I know I am way past the time for this thread but I'll still give my thoughts for someone coming here in the future!

I find DS questions easier to comprehend once I write down the data in a form of equation (s). IN the given questions, lets take the respective rates of hoses X & Y to be r_x & r_y and the total time to be 't'. We need to find 't' , where t=75000/(r_x + r_y)


Once we write down the above equation, it becomes very clear that we need to find r_x & r_y together to be able to find 't'. Hence, we need both statements (1) & (2) together to solve the above. Hence, option C.

Thank you again for this awesome series brunel! I'll be looking forward to all the other juicy questions coming up!! :)
_________________

Regards,
Vishnu

Article --> http://www.topmba.com/blog/could-mba-de ... ay-forward

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Jun 2013
Posts: 43
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 129

Re: An empty swimming pool with a capacity of 75,000 liters is [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2013, 09:23
1
This post received
KUDOS
Bunuel wrote:
timica wrote:
I was a bit confused with this question. My interpretation of the time to fill to pool was that it was the total time. So the time would include the time taken for X and Y to fill the pool to half plus the time for Y (orX) to fill the other half.

Timica


Consider this: the pool is to be filled by hoses X and Y simultaneously. The question is: how long, in hours, will it take to fill the pool?

Hi Bunuel! I too thought that 21 and 16 are total time and therefore wrote my equations as:-
1. 21 = [75k/2(x+y)] + [75k/2y]
2. 16 = [75k/2(x+y)] + [75k/2x]
k=1000, x = X's rate and y = Y's rate. This way too C will be the answer.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Mar 2013
Posts: 200
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1737

CAT Tests
Re: Hoses X & Y [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2013, 16:15
Bunuel wrote:
An empty swimming pool with a capacity of 75,000 liters is to be filled by hoses X and Y simultaneously. If the amount of water flowing from each hose is independent of the amount flowing from the other hose, how long, in hours, will it take to fi…ll the pool?

(1) If hose X stopped fi…lling the pool after hoses X and Y had filled half the pool, it would take 21 hours to fi…ll the pool. After hose X stops, hose Y continues filling the remaining half of the pool alone, and we are told that it needs 21 hours for that, hence to fill the whole pool it needs 21*2=42 hours. We know the rate of Y, though know nothing about the rate of X. Not sufficient.

(2) If hose Y stopped fi…lling the pool after hoses X and Y had filled half the pool, it would take 16 hours to fi…ll the pool. Reverse case: after hose Y stops, hose X continues filling the remaining half of the pool alone, and we are told that it needs 16 hours for that, hence to fill the whole pool it needs 16*2=32 hours. We know the rate of X, though know nothing about the rate of Y. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) We know the rates of both hose X and Y, hence we can calculate the time they'll need to fi…ll the pool of 75,000 liters. Sufficient.

Answer: C.


Bunuel, how is the question blindly giving us the rates of Y and X respectively in 1 and 2?

I interpreted (1) to say the following
t1/x + (1/y)*(t1+t2) = 1
t1 + t2 = 21
t1 = the time it takes both x and y to fill half of the pool
t1/x + 21/y = 1

Can you show me where I went wrong?
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 29676
Followers: 3496

Kudos [?]: 26351 [0], given: 2710

Re: Hoses X & Y [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2013, 03:46
Expert's post
TooLong150 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
An empty swimming pool with a capacity of 75,000 liters is to be filled by hoses X and Y simultaneously. If the amount of water flowing from each hose is independent of the amount flowing from the other hose, how long, in hours, will it take to fi…ll the pool?

(1) If hose X stopped fi…lling the pool after hoses X and Y had filled half the pool, it would take 21 hours to fi…ll the pool. After hose X stops, hose Y continues filling the remaining half of the pool alone, and we are told that it needs 21 hours for that, hence to fill the whole pool it needs 21*2=42 hours. We know the rate of Y, though know nothing about the rate of X. Not sufficient.

(2) If hose Y stopped fi…lling the pool after hoses X and Y had filled half the pool, it would take 16 hours to fi…ll the pool. Reverse case: after hose Y stops, hose X continues filling the remaining half of the pool alone, and we are told that it needs 16 hours for that, hence to fill the whole pool it needs 16*2=32 hours. We know the rate of X, though know nothing about the rate of Y. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) We know the rates of both hose X and Y, hence we can calculate the time they'll need to fi…ll the pool of 75,000 liters. Sufficient.

Answer: C.


Bunuel, how is the question blindly giving us the rates of Y and X respectively in 1 and 2?

I interpreted (1) to say the following
t1/x + (1/y)*(t1+t2) = 1
t1 + t2 = 21
t1 = the time it takes both x and y to fill half of the pool
t1/x + 21/y = 1

Can you show me where I went wrong?


It should be t_1(\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{y}) + t_2(\frac{1}{y}) = 1, where t_2=21. We know that t_2(\frac{1}{y}) = \frac{1}{2}, thus \frac{21}{y} = \frac{1}{2} --> y = 42 hours.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Mar 2014
Posts: 27
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 35

CAT Tests
Re: An empty swimming pool with a capacity of 75,000 liters is [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2014, 11:39
Bunuel wrote:
TooLong150 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
An empty swimming pool with a capacity of 75,000 liters is to be filled by hoses X and Y simultaneously. If the amount of water flowing from each hose is independent of the amount flowing from the other hose, how long, in hours, will it take to fi…ll the pool?

(1) If hose X stopped fi…lling the pool after hoses X and Y had filled half the pool, it would take 21 hours to fi…ll the pool. After hose X stops, hose Y continues filling the remaining half of the pool alone, and we are told that it needs 21 hours for that, hence to fill the whole pool it needs 21*2=42 hours. We know the rate of Y, though know nothing about the rate of X. Not sufficient.

(2) If hose Y stopped fi…lling the pool after hoses X and Y had filled half the pool, it would take 16 hours to fi…ll the pool. Reverse case: after hose Y stops, hose X continues filling the remaining half of the pool alone, and we are told that it needs 16 hours for that, hence to fill the whole pool it needs 16*2=32 hours. We know the rate of X, though know nothing about the rate of Y. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) We know the rates of both hose X and Y, hence we can calculate the time they'll need to fi…ll the pool of 75,000 liters. Sufficient.

Answer: C.


Bunuel, how is the question blindly giving us the rates of Y and X respectively in 1 and 2?

I interpreted (1) to say the following
t1/x + (1/y)*(t1+t2) = 1
t1 + t2 = 21
t1 = the time it takes both x and y to fill half of the pool
t1/x + 21/y = 1

Can you show me where I went wrong?


It should be t_1(\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{y}) + t_2(\frac{1}{y}) = 1, where t_2=21. We know that t_2(\frac{1}{y}) = \frac{1}{2}, thus \frac{21}{y} = \frac{1}{2} --> y = 42 hours.


I think that they mean that t_1 + t_2 = 21 and not t_2=21
MBA Blogger
avatar
Joined: 19 Apr 2014
Posts: 55
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: ISB '16
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 37

Re: An empty swimming pool with a capacity of 75,000 liters is [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2014, 02:56
Bunuel wrote:
An empty swimming pool with a capacity of 75,000 liters is to be filled by hoses X and Y simultaneously. If the amount of water flowing from each hose is independent of the amount flowing from the other hose, how long, in hours, will it take to fi…ll the pool?

(1) If hose X stopped fi…lling the pool after hoses X and Y had filled half the pool, it would take 21 hours to fi…ll the pool. After hose X stops, hose Y continues filling the remaining half of the pool alone, and we are told that it needs 21 hours for that, hence to fill the whole pool it needs 21*2=42 hours. We know the rate of Y, though know nothing about the rate of X. Not sufficient.

(2) If hose Y stopped fi…lling the pool after hoses X and Y had filled half the pool, it would take 16 hours to fi…ll the pool. Reverse case: after hose Y stops, hose X continues filling the remaining half of the pool alone, and we are told that it needs 16 hours for that, hence to fill the whole pool it needs 16*2=32 hours. We know the rate of X, though know nothing about the rate of Y. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) We know the rates of both hose X and Y, hence we can calculate the time they'll need to fi…ll the pool of 75,000 liters. Sufficient.

Answer: C.


I answered it incorrectly.
My thought was:
We know that first half was filled by both X and Y. and Y filled for 21 hrs. So, 75000/2 ltr was filled by both in first half and Y filled for 21 hrs. (total 42 hrs) we can check that how much liters can X fill in the first half of the tank!! :|
Re: An empty swimming pool with a capacity of 75,000 liters is   [#permalink] 14 Aug 2014, 02:56
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic Hoses X and Y simultaneously fill an empty swimming pool tha Bunuel 7 21 Jan 2014, 03:07
18 Experts publish their posts in the topic An empty fuel tank with a capacity of 200 gallons was fill macjas 11 27 May 2012, 03:59
Experts publish their posts in the topic An empty swimming pool with a capacity of 100,000 liters is bipolarbear 6 14 Aug 2009, 20:08
Is the tankbeing emptied or filled ? I : The capacity of the shinewine 3 20 Aug 2006, 04:51
The water level in a rectangular swimming pool measuring 60 mbassmbass04 1 15 Dec 2004, 06:48
Display posts from previous: Sort by

An empty swimming pool with a capacity of 75,000 liters is

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.