Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 02:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

An experiment was done in which human subjects recognize a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 121 [1] , given: 0

An experiment was done in which human subjects recognize a [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2008, 10:34
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

76% (02:39) correct 24% (01:33) wrong based on 427 sessions
An experiment was done in which human subjects recognize a pattern within a matrix of abstract designs and then select another design that completes that pattern. The results of the experiment were surprising. The lowest expenditure of energy in neurons in the brain was found in those subjects who performed most successfully in the experiments.
Which of the following hypotheses best accounts for the findings of the experiment?
(A) The neurons of the brain react less when a subject is trying to recognize patterns than when the subject is doing other kinds of reasoning.
(B) Those who performed best in the experiment experienced more satisfaction when working with abstract patterns than did those who performed less well.
(C) People who are better at abstract pattern recognition have more energy-efficient neural connections.
(D) The energy expenditure of the subjects brains increases when a design that completes the initially recognized pattern is determined.
(E) The task of completing a given design is more capably performed by athletes, whose energy expenditure is lower when they are at rest than is that of the general population.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 0

Re: CR-neurons [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2008, 10:44
IMO C.
4 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 48 [4] , given: 0

Re: CR-neurons [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2008, 12:39
This post received
KUDOS
(A) The neurons of the brain react less when a subject is trying to recognize patterns than when the subject is doing other kinds of reasoning- No information is given about other kinds of reasoning. So, one cannot do a better comparison with something that is not given.
(B) Those who performed best in the experiment experienced more satisfaction when working with abstract patterns than did those who performed less well- We are not much concerned about the satisfaction of the people.
(C) People who are better at abstract pattern recognition have more energy-efficient neural connections- This is true. Since "lowest expenditure of energy in neurons in the brain was found in those subjects who performed most successfully in the experiments", it is quite possible that they have more energy efficient neurons.
(D) The energy expenditure of the subjects brains increases when a design that completes the initially recognized pattern is determined - This actually contradicts to what is being stated. "The lowest expenditure of energy in neurons in the brain was found in those subjects who performed most successfully in the experiments". Anyone who completes the design is successful.
(E) The task of completing a given design is more capably performed by athletes, whose energy expenditure is lower when they are at rest than is that of the general population- The lower energy expenditure of the athletes will not guarranty a sucessful completion with lower expenditure of energy by neurons. Out of scope.

Hence C. What is OA?

To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says:
"Leave no stone unturned."
-Edward Bulwer Lytton

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 0

Re: CR-neurons [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2008, 18:18
leonidas wrote:
(A) The neurons of the brain react less when a subject is trying to recognize patterns than when the subject is doing other kinds of reasoning- No information is given about other kinds of reasoning. So, one cannot do a better comparison with something that is not given.
(B) Those who performed best in the experiment experienced more satisfaction when working with abstract patterns than did those who performed less well- We are not much concerned about the satisfaction of the people.
(C) People who are better at abstract pattern recognition have more energy-efficient neural connections- This is true. Since "lowest expenditure of energy in neurons in the brain was found in those subjects who performed most successfully in the experiments", it is quite possible that they have more energy efficient neurons.
(D) The energy expenditure of the subjects brains increases when a design that completes the initially recognized pattern is determined - This actually contradicts to what is being stated. "The lowest expenditure of energy in neurons in the brain was found in those subjects who performed most successfully in the experiments". Anyone who completes the design is successful.
(E) The task of completing a given design is more capably performed by athletes, whose energy expenditure is lower when they are at rest than is that of the general population- The lower energy expenditure of the athletes will not guarranty a sucessful completion with lower expenditure of energy by neurons. Out of scope.

Hence C. What is OA?

OA is C
good explanation.
I marked A.Actually could not relate enery efficient term in C

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 1

Re: CR-neurons [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2008, 19:14
spriya wrote:
An experiment was done in which human subjects recognize a pattern within a matrix of abstract designs and then select another design that completes that pattern. The results of the experiment were surprising. The lowest expenditure of energy in neurons in the brain was found in those subjects who performed most successfully in the experiments.
Which of the following hypotheses best accounts for the findings of the experiment?
(A) The neurons of the brain react less when a subject is trying to recognize patterns than when the subject is doing other kinds of reasoning.
(B) Those who performed best in the experiment experienced more satisfaction when working with abstract patterns than did those who performed less well.
(C) People who are better at abstract pattern recognition have more energy-efficient neural connections.
(D) The energy expenditure of the subjects brains increases when a design that completes the initially recognized pattern is determined.
(E) The task of completing a given design is more capably performed by athletes, whose energy expenditure is lower when they are at rest than is that of the general population.

IMO C)
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 48 [1] , given: 0

Re: CR-neurons [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2008, 19:44
This post received
KUDOS
spriya,

"I marked A.Actually could not relate enery efficient term in C "

I miss these details too sometimes. The way I look at arguments is:
1) Try to understand the stem first.
2) Parse through the Premise and conclusion. Sometimes, the conclusion is not very obvious but burried somewhere in the stem. If you think, you cannot identify it (worst case), its ok as you will try to understand the argument once you read through the answer choices sometimes.
3) Try to think of an answer in your mind (before you look for one), atleast practice this way initially until you have a high hit rate.
4) Read through the answer choices and see if it matches what you are looked for. This may not work always. The other trick is to simultaneouly, use POE (Process of Elimination) technique.

I believe, that POE works very well with CR; atleast, you can narrow down the answer choices to two. Try this out on few problems and see if it works.....

Good luck cracking arguments........... :)

To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says:
"Leave no stone unturned."
-Edward Bulwer Lytton

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 0

Re: CR-neurons [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2008, 19:49
leonidas wrote:
spriya,

"I marked A.Actually could not relate enery efficient term in C "

I miss these details too sometimes. The way I look at arguments is:
1) Try to understand the stem first.
2) Parse through the Premise and conclusion. Sometimes, the conclusion is not very obvious but burried somewhere in the stem. If you think, you cannot identify it (worst case), its ok as you will try to understand the argument once you read through the answer choices sometimes.
3) Try to think of an answer in your mind (before you look for one), atleast practice this way initially until you have a high hit rate.
4) Read through the answer choices and see if it matches what you are looked for. This may not work always. The other trick is to simultaneouly, use POE (Process of Elimination) technique.

I believe, that POE works very well with CR; atleast, you can narrow down the answer choices to two. Try this out on few problems and see if it works.....

Good luck cracking arguments........... :)

:-D great .thanks for the tips
+1 for you

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1147

Kudos [?]: 5332 [0], given: 165

Re: An experiment was done in which human subjects recognize a [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2012, 03:26
Expert's post
spriya wrote:

Responding to a pm:

It is a type of a strengthen question.

"Which hypotheses accounts for the findings?"
Another way of saying it is "which of the following, if true, supports the findings of the experiment" or "which of the following, if true, leads to the findings of the experiment"

If people who are better at abstract pattern recognition have more energy-efficient neural connections, they will expend lowest amount of energy.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1298

Kudos [?]: 3662 [0], given: 185

Re: An experiment was done in which human subjects recognize a [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2012, 08:11
Expert's post
First of all, I personally think this is more of a Paradox problem since we are trying to account for a surprising finding. We have to explain the surprising observation.

Secondly, I would like to add to leonidas's inputs. He has provided some great inputs, especially about Pre-thinking the answer. Prethinking is a very effective technique, however it requires conscious effort and involves a learning curve (for most). When you start prethinking, start with assumption questions. Moreover, do not worry about timing initially (for the first 15 questions) because you will take more time initially.

I do a 2 hr free session on Prethinking once a month. We have the recording of the last session on our portal. Register for a free account and then watch the help video below to access the recording of the session.

http://e-gmat.com/blogs/?p=851

Regards,

Rajat Sadana

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: An experiment was done in which human subjects recognize a [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2012, 01:27
spriya wrote:

Please delete the portion of answer choice (E) as shown above. This portion is not in OG 12 or 13. It is a strong contender after your addition. Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 136

Re: An experiment was done in which human subjects recognize a [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2013, 05:25
spriya wrote:

When I answered this question, I thought Choice C is out of Scope as Choice C speaks about Neural Connections and passage is all about lowest expenditure of energy in neurons.
How these terms are related, and are we supposed to know the link between these two? Please help or suggest other way to reach to Official answer.

Thanks
H

+1 Kudos me, Help me unlocking GMAT Club Tests

Expert Post

Re: An experiment was done in which human subjects recognize a [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2013, 06:34
Expert's post
imhimanshu wrote:

When I answered this question, I thought Choice C is out of Scope as Choice C speaks about Neural Connections and passage is all about lowest expenditure of energy in neurons.
How these terms are related, and are we supposed to know the link between these two? Please help or suggest other way to reach to Official answer.

Thanks
H

Actually, it's something people are usually expected to know - there are neurons in the brain which are connected with each other and the brain functions by sending signals over these neural connections.
Don't worry if this was not intuitive - GMAT doesn't test your general awareness. This kind of disconnect will not be there in an actual GMAT question. Even if a question with some bias does get into the question bank, it is filtered out if they observe that people of that or higher level are striking out on it.

Karishma
My Blog

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 15

Re: An experiment was done in which human subjects recognize a [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2013, 07:34
With all due respect to the experts :) Isn't this a must be true question?? IMO it in someway asks what hypotheses can best be drawn from the above stimulus, moreover it doesn't have a conclusion just plain facts...
Please correct me if I am wrong
Expert Post

Re: An experiment was done in which human subjects recognize a [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2013, 00:04
Expert's post
ratinarace wrote:
With all due respect to the experts :) Isn't this a must be true question?? IMO it in someway asks what hypotheses can best be drawn from the above stimulus, moreover it doesn't have a conclusion just plain facts...

It might seem so on first reading but actually it is not a 'must be true' question i.e. inference/conclusion question. In a 'must be true' question, given that the argument is true, you should be able to infer the answer choice without a doubt.
This question asks you for the hypothesis that best supports the findings of the experiment. Mind you, the given hypothesis cannot be inferred without a doubt from the argument. There could be many reasons for the low expenditure of energy. e.g. perhaps subjects who did well have practiced over the years and can easily 'see' how the puzzle pieces will fit and hence the need to expend less energy. We cannot say that they MUST have more energy-efficient neural connections.
But given this hypothesis, i.e. they have more energy-efficient neural connections, findings of the experiment make more sense.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 136

Re: An experiment was done in which human subjects recognize a [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2013, 08:31
Its an Explain Question. Correct. ?

VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
ratinarace wrote:

It might seem so on first reading but actually it is not a 'must be true' question i.e. inference/conclusion question. In a 'must be true' question, given that the argument is true, you should be able to infer the answer choice without a doubt.
This question asks you for the hypothesis that best supports the findings of the experiment. Mind you, the given hypothesis cannot be inferred without a doubt from the argument. There could be many reasons for the low expenditure of energy. e.g. perhaps subjects who did well have practiced over the years and can easily 'see' how the puzzle pieces will fit and hence the need to expend less energy. We cannot say that they MUST have more energy-efficient neural connections.
But given this hypothesis, i.e. they have more energy-efficient neural connections, findings of the experiment make more sense.

+1 Kudos me, Help me unlocking GMAT Club Tests

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

CAT Tests
Re: An experiment was done in which human subjects recognize a [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2013, 23:39
Hi,

I'm trying to understand the question stem in this question more clearly. I've attempted this question before and I did land up with C as the answer. But when I was going through this question again, on second thoughts, I have a doubt on the interpretation of the question stem.

As per my understanding, there's a hypotheses... then there's a study/experiment to prove the hypotheses and they have received surprising results.

Surprising result: Successful performance----> lowest expenditure of energy in neurons in the brain

Question: What can be the hypotheses possibly be?

The fact that the findings are surprising means that the hypotheses did not expect this result. In this case, the hypotheses must've been opposite or not similar to the result.

This is why I thought the answer must've been D which somewhat states the opposite.

While I understand that the answer is C because it explains why the results have taken place, I fail to understand how is this the answer to my question stem? i.e. The question stem doesn't seem to be asking why the result took place. It asks what the hypotheses could've been before the study.

It would be great if the experts could answer my doubt at the earliest... as I have my exam in 4 days!

Thanks.
Expert Post

Re: An experiment was done in which human subjects recognize a [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2013, 20:41
Expert's post
Chandni170 wrote:
The question stem doesn't seem to be asking why the result took place. It asks what the hypotheses could've been before the study.

That's not correct.

Question stem: Which of the following hypotheses best accounts for the findings of the experiment?

It clearly asks you for the hypothesis that best explains the actual results.

Also, the sequence may be: Hypothesis, then experiment, then surprise, then updated hypothesis.

They are asking you for the updated hypothesis since they say that which hypothesis best accounts for the findings - i.e. accounts for the actual results of the experiment.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: An experiment was done in which human subjects recognize a [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2014, 08:56
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: An experiment was done in which human subjects recognize a   [#permalink] 25 Aug 2014, 08:56