Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 13:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

An increasing number of schools are experimenting with

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

An increasing number of schools are experimenting with [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2013, 04:45
An increasing number of schools are experimenting with looping classes; that allows teachers to advance to the next grade level along with their pupils, to give students the opportunity to form long-term relationships with their instructors.

A) classes; that allows teachers to advance to the next grade level along with their pupils, to give

B) classes that allow teachers to advance to the next grade level along with their pupils and give

C) classes and allow teachers to advance to the next grade level along with their pupils and give

D) classes, which allows teachers to advance to the next grade level along with their pupils, giving

E) classes, which allow teachers to advance to the next grade level along with their pupils, giving
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Re: An increasing number of schools are experimenting with [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2013, 06:03
B v/s E but i'd choose E.

Here's why :

A) classes; that allows teachers to advance to the next grade level along with their pupils, to give.
"that allows" doesn't go with "looping classes". Also, "to advance.....to give" - should've been "to advance....AND to give" .

B) classes that allow teachers to advance to the next grade level along with their pupils and give
"that allow teachers TO advance....and TO(missing) give" . Parallelism!

C) classes and allow teachers to advance to the next grade level along with their pupils and give
1) classes AND allow teachers is incorrect. should be "classes THAT allow teachers" .

D) classes, which allows teachers to advance to the next grade level along with their pupils, giving
looping classes ..allows - Subject Verb Disagreement

E) classes, which allow teachers to advance to the next grade level along with their pupils, giving
best of the lot.

What's the OA?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: An increasing number of schools are experimenting with [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2013, 10:03
surbhi87 wrote:

Here's why :

A) classes; that allows teachers to advance to the next grade level along with their pupils, to give.
"that allows" doesn't go with "looping classes". Also, "to advance.....to give" - should've been "to advance....AND to give" .

1) classes AND allow teachers is incorrect. should be "classes THAT allow teachers" .

best of the lot.

What's the OA?

OA is B, btw can you explain why the classes are allowing not the experiment?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: An increasing number of schools are experimenting with [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2013, 10:53
An increasing number of schools are experimenting with looping classes; that allows teachers to advance to the next grade level along with their pupils, to give students the opportunity to form long-term relationships with their instructors.

A) classes; that allows teachers to advance to the next grade level along with their pupils, to give

looping classes is plural and the phrase modifying it cannot be singular , which mean "that allows " is wrong

This statement is perfect , subject-verb agreement and parallelism is perefectly put here . HENCE RIGHT ANSWER

allow teachers phrase is supposed to modify the action of looping classes , which means it is dependent on the first phrase of looping classes, And will make it equal which is wrong here.

Missing parallelism , as all sentences seem to be in simple present which gets spoiled by "giving" in the end and Allows is singular and not acceptable

same as above , missing Paralellism .
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Re: An increasing number of schools are experimenting with [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2013, 20:19
rajat0627 wrote:
surbhi87 wrote:

Here's why :

best of the lot.

What's the OA?

1. An increasing number of schools are experimenting with looping classes that allow teachers to advance to the next grade level along with their pupils and give

I'm not very good with the rules of grammar but i THINK the reason "why classes are allowing the experiment and not experimenting" is that 1. classes is the noun that is the closest to the fact explained "that allow teachers to.. " 2) Also, if experiment had to be linked to "that allow teachers...", the sentence would've said "an inc. no. of schools are performing experiments that allow teachers..." NOT "are experimenting that allow teachers..."

Again, pls pardon my bad sense of rules but this is the best reasoning i could come up with :oops:

Does anyone know why B is ok in terms of parallelism ?
classes that allow teachers TO advance to the next grade level along with their pupils and (TO?? ) give ?

Thanks !
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 213

Kudos [?]: 319 [0], given: 5

Re: An increasing number of schools are experimenting with [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2013, 08:09
Expert's post
surbhi87 wrote:

classes that allow teachers TO advance to the next grade level along with their pupils and (TO?? ) give ?

Thanks !

Parallelism is pretty concrete in Sentence Correction, but there is an area where the GMAT gets relaxed. The preposition "to" can be omitted from the second element in parallelism because it's "understood". I like to eat hamburgers and (to) drink milkshakes. That sentence is perfectly fine with or without the "to".

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Expert Post

Re: An increasing number of schools are experimenting with [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2013, 08:52
Expert's post
surbhi87 wrote:
rajat0627 wrote:

1. An increasing number of schools are experimenting with looping classes that allow teachers to advance to the next grade level along with their pupils and give

I'm not very good with the rules of grammar but i THINK the reason "why classes are allowing the experiment and not experimenting" is that 1. classes is the noun that is the closest to the fact explained "that allow teachers to.. " 2) Also, if experiment had to be linked to "that allow teachers...", the sentence would've said "an inc. no. of schools are performing experiments that allow teachers..." NOT "are experimenting that allow teachers..."

Again, pls pardon my bad sense of rules but this is the best reasoning i could come up with :oops:

Your grammar rules are correct. The placement of the modifier next to classes means that we are modifying classes. The additional question is meaning-based - does it make sense for a class, a thing, to allow a teacher, a person, to do something? In this case it certainly does. Normally teachers are assigned to a grade level and they are with students for a year before the students move on. The new "looping classes" keep the teachers with the students so the new class type "allows" the teachers to stay with the students. Here is a different example: "The new bridge allowed the people across the river to get to town in half the time." In this example a thing is allowing people to do something they couldn't do before.

KW

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 2

Re: An increasing number of schools are experimenting with [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2013, 10:17
This post received
KUDOS
KyleWiddison wrote:
surbhi87 wrote:

Thanks !

Parallelism is pretty concrete in Sentence Correction, but there is an area where the GMAT gets relaxed. The preposition "to" can be omitted from the second element in parallelism because it's "understood". I like to eat hamburgers and (to) drink milkshakes. That sentence is perfectly fine with or without the "to".

KW

Thanks Kylie for the detailed explanation. I was very confused between B and E and somehow neither looked perfect to me . Why can't "giving" in E modify the whole "which allow...." expression? I believe "which" modifying "classes" in E should be okay and the reason we're not choosing E is the word "giving" . Right ?

Thanks !
Expert Post

Re: An increasing number of schools are experimenting with [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2013, 18:15
Expert's post
surbhi87 wrote:

Thanks Kyle for the detailed explanation. I was very confused between B and E and somehow neither looked perfect to me . Why can't "giving" in E modify the whole "which allow...." expression? I believe "which" modifying "classes" in E should be okay and the reason we're not choosing E is the word "giving" . Right ?

Thanks !

This is a really good question. You are correct, we aren't choosing E because "giving" does not refer back to the "which" modifier. The problem is in trying to stack the -ing modifier after a non-essential modifier. The non-essential clause can be "omitted" from the sentence from a meaning standpoint. Watch what happens when we remove the non-essential clause: "An increasing number of schools are experimenting with looping classes, giving students the opportunity to form long-term relationships with their instructors." You can see here that the clause "giving students.. " doesn't make sense in the sentence without that non-essential modifier. Why does a looping class give this opportunity? We don't know because we don't really know what a looping class is.

KW

Re: An increasing number of schools are experimenting with   [#permalink] 26 Nov 2013, 18:15