Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 01:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

An independent audit found no indication of tax avoidance on

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
An independent audit found no indication of tax avoidance on [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2007, 02:19
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
An independent audit found no indication of tax avoidance on the part of the firm in the firm’s accounts, therefore no such problem exists.
The questionable reasoning in the argument above is most closely paralleled by that in which one of the following?
(A) The plan for the introduction of the new product has been unmodified so far; therefore, it will not be modified in the future.
(B) The overall budget for the projects has been exceeded by a large amount; therefore, at least one of the projects has exceeded its budget by large amount.
(C) A compilation of the best student essays of the year includes no essays on current events; therefore, students have become apathetic toward current events.
(D) A survey of schools in the district found no school without a need for building repair; therefore, the education provided to students in this district is substandard.
(E) An examination of the index of the book found no listing for the most prominent critic of the theory the book advocates; therefore, the book fails to refer to that critic.
Manager
Manager
Status: Post MBA, working in the area of Development Finance
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2007, 02:42
The questionable reasoning in the argument of the question is most closely paralleled bythat in statement E.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2007, 03:11
For me it was a tough choice between C and E. I finally chose C because it seems more of a questionable argument than E.
In E, books usually have an index, and the index is supposed to mention references. It is more plausible that if an index does not contain a reference, that reference does not exist.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2007, 03:59
I chose E, but I dont know why C would be wrong.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2007, 08:33
(E)

In my opinion it's the only choice closer to the original. Without any reference in index, it's unlikely it is referred in the book.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2007, 03:52
rdg wrote:
(E)
Without any reference in index, it's unlikely it is referred in the book.

Exactly why I chose C instead. What is the "questionable reasoning" of the argument in E? Where as in C, the slippery slope type of logical flaw, seems to be present, just as in the argument.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2007, 08:16
E - C states that there are no current event essays therefore students have become apathetic towards them.

The original logic states that since there was no problem found, no problem exists.

E reads that there was no mention in the index so no mention exists in the book. I believe that paralleles the logic best....
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2007, 08:41
OasisNYK wrote:
E - C states that there are no current event essays therefore students have become apathetic towards them.

The original logic states that since there was no problem found, no problem exists.

E reads that there was no mention in the index so no mention exists in the book. I believe that paralleles the logic best....

Is it possible that if something is not mentioned in the index of the book, it still is referenced in the book? If so, I agree answer needs to be E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2007, 08:46
hsampath wrote:
OasisNYK wrote:

Is it possible that if something is not mentioned in the index of the book, it still is referenced in the book? If so, I agree answer needs to be E.

Yes that appears to be what it is saying, just as in the original logic it is still possible there is an error even though the argument says there wont be any found.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2007, 13:29
I would go with E as audit and examination can be referred as parallel
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 4