Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:26 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Other
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
WE:Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V39
GPA: 3.7
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 339 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
WE:Information Technology (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
An Indian applying to a Bschool [#permalink]
Hi Loki.

I don't usually post on GMAT Club, but I recently got notified of your post and thought it be best if I could just add my two cents.

First off, your profile is ridiculously strong. It is pretty obvious that you would try for the M7s, and other schools too. Further, with your profile, it seems like you are a real hard worker (evident in your promotions) and I'm sure you really deserved it.

That being said, however, my entire perspective of you changed with this:

loki2686 wrote:
I have decently good English( read TOEFL score) and wrote essays with different but convincing goals in R1 and R2. However, a friend of mine ( a girl ) wrote the same essay. Word by Word and she got an admit. Hence Proved.

Word by word? So you mean to say that you copied her essay? Or she copied yours? Or both of you copied a third-persons' essay? All scenarios are pretty bad. And being absolutely unethical, I'm surprised no one else really came forward and introduced you to an interesting term called plagiarism.

The practice of taking someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as one's own.

Now, in case you didn't know, every university abroad runs every single paper they receive (assignments, tests, admission essays and even research submissions) through plagiarism software. These software (I've seen them first hand) scan through every possible published document and then numerically grants your essay a percent-score of plagiarism.

Now, since your friend got admitted, I'm assuming that she got her applications reviewed first (there is no proof that the applications that are sent first are reviewed first). Obviously, after she got admitted, when these colleges received your essay, you received a 100% plagiarism score, making your entire application invalid.

The detriments are compounded even further as now the universities have all your info stored, so it is almost 100% going to affect your future prospects of your MBA.

If anything, by copying essays, you have essentially stolen intellectual property. And you search for pity here. Great.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
dannna wrote:
Hi Loki.

I don't usually post on GMAT Club, but I recently got notified of your post and thought it be best if I could just add my two cents.

First off, your profile is ridiculously strong. It is pretty obvious that you would try for the M7s, and other schools too. Further, with your profile, it seems like you are a real hard worker (evident in your promotions) and I'm sure you really deserved it.

loki2686 wrote:
I have decently good English( read TOEFL score) and wrote essays with different but convincing goals in R1 and R2. However, a friend of mine ( a girl ) wrote the same essay. Word by Word and she got an admit. Hence Proved.

Word by word? So you mean to say that you copied her essay? Or she copied yours? Or both of you copied a third-persons' essay? All scenarios are pretty bad. And being absolutely unethical, I'm surprised no one else really came forward and introduced you to an interesting term called plagiarism.

The practice of taking someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as one's own.

Now, in case you didn't know, every university abroad runs every single paper they receive (assignments, tests, admission essays and even research submissions) through plagiarism software. These software (I've seen them first hand) scan through every possible published document and then numerically grants your essay a percent-score of plagiarism.

Now, since your friend got admitted, I'm assuming that she got her applications reviewed first (there is no proof that the applications that are sent first are reviewed first). Obviously, after she got admitted, when these colleges received your essay, you received a 100% plagiarism score, making your entire application invalid.

The detriments are compounded even further as now the universities have all your info stored, so it is almost 100% going to affect your future prospects of your MBA.

If anything, by copying essays, you have essentially stolen intellectual property. And you search for pity here. Great.

Whoa dude, that's a little harsh. While you're probably right, you could've put your point across a little better, I don't really think he's looking for pity. Anyway, if he actually did have a friend copy his essay "word for word" then yeah, it is no surprise that he dinged. But again, that's assuming he did copy it exactly and that she applied and had her application reviewed before him.

If what he says is true however, Indians may have a ridiculously hard time getting in without a stellar GMAT score.

Originally posted by Kelen on 21 Jun 2016, 22:46.
Last edited by Kelen on 22 Jun 2016, 02:34, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
dannna wrote:
Hi Loki.

loki2686 wrote:

FULLY AGREE. NO UNIVERSITY WILL GIVE SECOND CHANCE IF THERE IS EVEN 30% MATCH OUTCOME FROM PLAGIARISM SOFTWARE. I hope all Asian applicants are fully aware of this. !!!
GMAT Club Bot