Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:56 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
Re: an international student and his wife... how? [#permalink]
Jivana, Class2012
Thanks, mates!
So does the problem with bringing dependent to the US lie in the lack of money?
I mean, if I will get a scholarship+assistantsip+loan, and my wife will say she'll be working during my study do we stand a chance to get F1 visa for me and F2+working visa for her? What is the best place to ask that question? An ambassy?

Thanks!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
If your wife wanted to work, she wouldn't get an F2 + a working visa, she'd just get a working visa (H1-B for example).

For your wife to get one of those, she would have to find a US company willing to sponsor her.

RF
Manager
Manager
Send PM
refurb
Thanks a lot!

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hello once again!
Would somebody cast light on this:
A clause from here https://www.globalvisas.com/us_immigration/us_f_1_academic_student_visa.html

"Applicants must demonstrate adequate English language ability, and crucially, candidates must prove that they intend to return to their home country upon completion of their course and expiry of their US study visas."

Does this mean that if I'll say to an ambassador that I want to live and work in the US after graduation I'll be rejected a visa? Or, it simply means that I can work and live in the US provided that I will attain different kind of visa?
Thanks in advance!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Send PM
WantGMAT800 wrote:
Hello once again!
Would somebody cast light on this:
A clause from here https://www.globalvisas.com/us_immigration/us_f_1_academic_student_visa.html

"Applicants must demonstrate adequate English language ability, and crucially, candidates must prove that they intend to return to their home country upon completion of their course and expiry of their US study visas."

Does this mean that if I'll say to an ambassador that I want to live and work in the US after graduation I'll be rejected a visa? Or, it simply means that I can work and live in the US provided that I will attain different kind of visa?
Thanks in advance!

I think you already know the answer to your question. But just for clarity, I would say: modify your story so that it's relevant to the question asked.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Jivana, thanks for stopping by. To be honest, I don't know the answer to my question yet and your clause for clarity just tangled me as I don't understand which story you're refering to here:
Quote:
modify your story so that

Would you be so kind to make it more lucid? Thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Send PM
WantGMAT800 wrote:
Jivana, thanks for stopping by. To be honest, I don't know the answer to my question yet and your clause for clarity just tangled me as I don't understand which story you're refering to here:
Quote:
modify your story so that

Would you be so kind to make it more lucid? Thanks.

Let me just say this: If you were interviewing for a CEO's job and they asked you: Do you really want to be a CEO?

If you answered No, guess what their response would be.....
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Jivana wrote:

Let me just say this: If you were interviewing for a CEO's job and they asked you: Do you really want to be a CEO?

If you answered No, guess what their response would be.....

Ok, so are you saying that if I said that I plan to stay in the US I would get rejected? If so, then modifying my story means making my plans of residing less evident? Am I getting you right? :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
Send PM
i have no idea why jivana is giving you indirect answers but here is the deal.
- you need f1 visa and your wife needs f2 visa
- you need to show that you have funds to cover your education and living expenses for both of you
- these funds should be coming from scholarships, loans and personal savings. you CANNOT say that you or your wife will be working in the US to support your education
- you need to prove that you will go back after completing your education. it is true that most international students do stay in the US at least for a couple of years after graduation, and probably you will also do the same. but in front of the visa officer you HAVE to prove that your only reason coming to the US is to study and that you will go back. you should try to appear strong in this regard (documentations of property, future job offer etc should help) since this is the reason most students get denied visa
- if you guys do get the visa and come here, it is not easy to get a job for your wife anyways. she will not have the papers because of the f2 status and the only jobs available are low paying. so might as well take a bigger loan amount and enjoy your time here
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Bottlegreen has it. Since the F-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa, any intent by the non-citizen to stay beyond the length of the visa is regarded as having an immigrant intent and can result in entry being denied.

It's not a huge deal, but you have to be aware of it. When I was on my TN visa, I was told by the corporate lawyers that if I'm asked how long I'll be staying in the US, the correct response is "I will leave upon the expiration of my visa". Of course I never did because I got a new visa to replace it, but your answer is still important.

RF
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
During the F1 interview,never say that you want to settle down in US.Tell them that you would back to your home country.

Show them your familiy/cultural ties.You can also show them your monetary assets and say you want to come back to look after them.Mention that you would come back and work in xyz firm or take a faculty role in abc institution and that's the reason you are going for an MBA.
GMAT Club Bot