Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 03 Sep 2015, 11:38
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

An investment of $1000 was made in a certain account and ear

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Sep 2012
Posts: 151
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 73 [2] , given: 17

An investment of $1000 was made in a certain account and ear [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2012, 12:28
2
This post received
KUDOS
4
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

65% (02:17) correct 35% (01:24) wrong based on 184 sessions
An investment of $1000 was made in a certain account and earned interest that was compounded annually. The annual interest rate was fixed for the duration of the investment, and after 12 years the $1000 increased to $4000 by earning interest. In how many years after the initial investment was made the $1000 have increased to $8000 by earning interest at that rate?

A. 16
B. 18
C. 20
D. 24
E. 30

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I have the solution presented by GMAT prep but it is not the way I like to do it. My strategy would simply be to find the interest rate. And then work backwards from the solutions to get the answer (an interest of 7000, or total of 8000).

But I'm having trouble calculating the rate here?

Can anyone help?

in 12 years he made 3000 in interest. So shouldn't it be 1000(r/100)^12 = 3000 ?? then solve for r ?

I keep getting a number in the 30s, or 36.... ugh.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Nov 2012
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 0

Re: An investment of $1000 was made in a certain account and ear [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2012, 16:57
2
This post received
KUDOS
HI anon1,I think you miss the point " compound interest" , the formula must be

1000* (1+r)^12 = 4000 (1)
1000* (1+r)^x =8000 (2) ( x : is the number of years we must find)

(1): --> 1+r= (12 root of 4)
(2)--> (1+r)^x=( 12 root of 4)^x = 8
---> 4^(x/12) =8
2^(x/6)=2^3
x/6=3 >>>x=18

hope this help ^^
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Sep 2012
Posts: 151
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 17

Re: An investment of $1000 was made in a certain account and ear [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2012, 18:48
I'm sorry, I'm losing you.

I'm getting

(1) (1+r)^12 = 4
(2) (1+r)^x = 8

I don't know what goes on after this... not understanding your work

But why can't we just find out what the r first and then work backwards from the solutions to find the amount of years necessary to get an interest of 7000 / total of 8000
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Nov 2012
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: An investment of $1000 was made in a certain account and ear [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2012, 20:04
anon1 wrote:
I'm sorry, I'm losing you.

I'm getting

(1) (1+r)^12 = 4
(2) (1+r)^x = 8

I don't know what goes on after this... not understanding your work

But why can't we just find out what the r first and then work backwards from the solutions to find the amount of years necessary to get an interest of 7000 / total of 8000


(1): --> 1+r = √(12&4) (get 12 root of 4) then apply this to (2)
(2)--> (1+r)^x=√(12&4) ^x = 8
---> 4^(x/12) =8
2^(x/6)=2^3
x/6=3 >>>x=18

if you find r it hard for you to calculate !

Last edited by tiennguyen1701 on 24 Nov 2012, 20:17, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Sep 2012
Posts: 151
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 17

Re: An investment of $1000 was made in a certain account and ear [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2012, 20:09
Okay, I understand the math now....

Yikes, that is a lot of math to be able to do during the test....

dammit.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Nov 2012
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: An investment of $1000 was made in a certain account and ear [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2012, 20:18
anon1 wrote:
Okay, I understand the math now....

Yikes, that is a lot of math to be able to do during the test....

dammit.

yup, i think both math and verbal are difficult :(
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Sep 2012
Posts: 151
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 17

Re: An investment of $1000 was made in a certain account and ear [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2012, 20:34
We just have to keep studying as hard as possible. Don't give up. We think we are studying hard?

they may studying twice as hard.
10 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Done with formalities.. and back..
Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 648
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 428 [10] , given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: An investment of $1000 was made in a certain account and ear [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2012, 21:18
10
This post received
KUDOS
anon1 wrote:
An investment of $1000 was made in a certain account and earned interest that was compounded annually. The annual interest rate was fixed for the duration of the investment, and after 12 years the $1000 increased to $4000 by earning interest. In how many years after the initial investment was made the $1000 have increased to $8000 by earning interest at that rate?

A. 16
B. 18
C. 20
D. 24
E. 30

I have the solution presented by GMAT prep but it is not the way I like to do it. My strategy would simply be to find the interest rate. And then work backwards from the solutions to get the answer (an interest of 7000, or total of 8000).

But I'm having trouble calculating the rate here?

Can anyone help?

in 12 years he made 3000 in interest. So shouldn't it be 1000(r/100)^12 = 3000 ?? then solve for r ?

I keep getting a number in the 30s, or 36.... ugh.


Its actually an easier question with a simpler approach.

Amount 1000 is invested for 12 yrs and yields 4000. Amount is compounded annually.
we need number of years it will take to yield 8000.

from 1000 to 4000 = 4 times
from 4000 to 8000 = 2 times.

if compounding is happening at same rate throughout, then
since, time required for 4 times = 12 yrs
=>time required for 2 times = 6 yrs

Total time from initial = 12+6 = 18 yrs
Ans B.
_________________

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Sep 2012
Posts: 151
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 17

Re: An investment of $1000 was made in a certain account and ear [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2012, 21:32
YES YES YES YES YES

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

I knew there was an elegant way to do this. I just could not figure it out... I have a personal theory that almost every GMAT problem can be solved with basic arithmetic and reasoning, and that was it VIPS. You are freaking awesome.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Done with formalities.. and back..
Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 648
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 428 [1] , given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: An investment of $1000 was made in a certain account and ear [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2012, 21:40
1
This post received
KUDOS
anon1 wrote:
YES YES YES YES YES

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

I knew there was an elegant way to do this. I just could not figure it out... I have a personal theory that almost every GMAT problem can be solved with basic arithmetic and reasoning, and that was it VIPS. You are freaking awesome.

ha ha.. :-D
wish could have shown that on the test too :-(
_________________

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Oct 2011
Posts: 224
Location: India
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 440 Q33 V13
GMAT 2: 0 Q0 V0
GPA: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 44

Re: An investment of $1000 was made in a certain account and ear [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2012, 16:50
Vips0000 wrote:
anon1 wrote:
An investment of $1000 was made in a certain account and earned interest that was compounded annually. The annual interest rate was fixed for the duration of the investment, and after 12 years the $1000 increased to $4000 by earning interest. In how many years after the initial investment was made the $1000 have increased to $8000 by earning interest at that rate?

A. 16
B. 18
C. 20
D. 24
E. 30

I have the solution presented by GMAT prep but it is not the way I like to do it. My strategy would simply be to find the interest rate. And then work backwards from the solutions to get the answer (an interest of 7000, or total of 8000).

But I'm having trouble calculating the rate here?

Can anyone help?

in 12 years he made 3000 in interest. So shouldn't it be 1000(r/100)^12 = 3000 ?? then solve for r ?

I keep getting a number in the 30s, or 36.... ugh.


Its actually an easier question with a simpler approach.

Amount 1000 is invested for 12 yrs and yields 4000. Amount is compounded annually.
we need number of years it will take to yield 8000.

from 1000 to 4000 = 4 times
from 4000 to 8000 = 2 times.

if compounding is happening at same rate throughout, then
since, time required for 4 times = 12 yrs
=>time required for 2 times = 6 yrs

Total time from initial = 12+6 = 18 yrs
Ans B.


Hey Vips,

I tried to figure out

from 1000 to 4000 = 4 times
from 4000 to 8000 = 2 times.

But couldn't :(

You mean 1000 to 4000 = 4*1000
4000 to 8000 = 2 *2000

If so how u took first as 1000 and next as 2000 ..... Or any other logic?

Can you brief it plzzz... !!!
_________________

GMAT - Practice, Patience, Persistence
Kudos if u like :)

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 29205
Followers: 4750

Kudos [?]: 50256 [4] , given: 7540

Re: An investment of $1000 was made in a certain account and ear [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 00:36
4
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
4
This post was
BOOKMARKED
shanmugamgsn wrote:
Heyy Vips,

I tried to figure out

from 1000 to 4000 = 4 times
from 4000 to 8000 = 2 times.

But couldn't :(

You mean 1000 to 4000 = 4*1000
4000 to 8000 = 2 *2000

If so how u took first as 1000 and next as 2000 ..... Or any other logic?

Can you brief it plzzz... !!!


An investment of $1000 was made in a certain account and earned interest that was compounded annually. The annual interest rate was fixed for the duration of the investment, and after 12 years the $1000 increased to $4000 by earning interest. In how many years after the initial investment was made the $1000 have increased to $8000 by earning interest at that rate?

A. 16
B. 18
C. 20
D. 24
E. 30

In 12 years the investment quadrupled (from $1,000 to $4,000).

Thus, at the same rate compounded annually, it would need additional 12/2=6 years to double (from $4,000 to $8,000).

Therefore, 12+6=18 years are needed $1,000 to increase to $8,000.

Answer: B.

Hope it's clear.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis ; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) ; 12. Tricky questions from previous years.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 6203
Followers: 346

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: An investment of $1000 was made in a certain account and ear [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2014, 20:07
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 07 May 2014
Posts: 23
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 26

Re: An investment of $1000 was made in a certain account and ear [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2014, 09:10
I used a logical approach to solve this:
In 12 years, the investment doubled twice. Therefore, in the first 6 years, the investment doubled from 1000 to 2000, and in the next 6 years the investment doubled again from 2000 to 4000. Since the rate of return remains the same, the investment will take another 6 years to double from 4000 to 8000.
Total time is 12+6=18
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2013
Posts: 331
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 23

Re: An investment of $1000 was made in a certain account and ear [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2014, 13:51
Bunuel wrote:
shanmugamgsn wrote:
Heyy Vips,

I tried to figure out

from 1000 to 4000 = 4 times
from 4000 to 8000 = 2 times.

But couldn't :(

You mean 1000 to 4000 = 4*1000
4000 to 8000 = 2 *2000

If so how u took first as 1000 and next as 2000 ..... Or any other logic?

Can you brief it plzzz... !!!


An investment of $1000 was made in a certain account and earned interest that was compounded annually. The annual interest rate was fixed for the duration of the investment, and after 12 years the $1000 increased to $4000 by earning interest. In how many years after the initial investment was made the $1000 have increased to $8000 by earning interest at that rate?

A. 16
B. 18
C. 20
D. 24
E. 30

In 12 years the investment quadrupled (from $1,000 to $4,000).

Thus, at the same rate compounded annually, it would need additional 12/2=6 years to double (from $4,000 to $8,000).

Therefore, 12+6=18 years are needed $1,000 to increase to $8,000.

Answer: B.

Hope it's clear.


Hi Bunuel,

Two questions regarding your approach:

1) Since interest is compounded, isn't the amount that increases after every annual period change? For example, if I invest $100 at a rate of 20% compounded annual -- after year 1, I have 120. After year 2, I have 144 and so on. It rises a lot quicker because they are exponents -- doesn't it?

By the same token, how can we assume that it will take the same amount of time to double from $1000 to $2000 as $4000 to $800. I would assume that the latter would double a lot quicker?

2) If I was to follow the math, I get 4 = (1+r)^12. What exactly can we do to simplify this further. I tried to multiply both sides by (1/12) but that didn't really get me anywhere? If I simplified it further, I ended up getting:

(2^6) = (100 + R)/(100)
R = 6200?

Thanks
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 May 2014
Posts: 70
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 21

Re: An investment of $1000 was made in a certain account and ear [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2014, 14:37
Bunuel following that same logic: if I put 1000 into an account with 100% interest in year 1 I will get 2000, year 2 4000 year 3 8000. So I increased my investment eight fold in three years. Now if I want my investment to go to double to 16,000 it would take one more year. But according to what has been said above 3/4 would be the answer. Are you counting the initial deposit as year 1?
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 29205
Followers: 4750

Kudos [?]: 50256 [0], given: 7540

Re: An investment of $1000 was made in a certain account and ear [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2014, 02:37
Expert's post
russ9 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
shanmugamgsn wrote:
Heyy Vips,

I tried to figure out

from 1000 to 4000 = 4 times
from 4000 to 8000 = 2 times.

But couldn't :(

You mean 1000 to 4000 = 4*1000
4000 to 8000 = 2 *2000

If so how u took first as 1000 and next as 2000 ..... Or any other logic?

Can you brief it plzzz... !!!


An investment of $1000 was made in a certain account and earned interest that was compounded annually. The annual interest rate was fixed for the duration of the investment, and after 12 years the $1000 increased to $4000 by earning interest. In how many years after the initial investment was made the $1000 have increased to $8000 by earning interest at that rate?

A. 16
B. 18
C. 20
D. 24
E. 30

In 12 years the investment quadrupled (from $1,000 to $4,000).

Thus, at the same rate compounded annually, it would need additional 12/2=6 years to double (from $4,000 to $8,000).

Therefore, 12+6=18 years are needed $1,000 to increase to $8,000.

Answer: B.

Hope it's clear.


Hi Bunuel,

Two questions regarding your approach:

1) Since interest is compounded, isn't the amount that increases after every annual period change? For example, if I invest $100 at a rate of 20% compounded annual -- after year 1, I have 120. After year 2, I have 144 and so on. It rises a lot quicker because they are exponents -- doesn't it?

By the same token, how can we assume that it will take the same amount of time to double from $1000 to $2000 as $4000 to $800. I would assume that the latter would double a lot quicker?

2) If I was to follow the math, I get 4 = (1+r)^12. What exactly can we do to simplify this further. I tried to multiply both sides by (1/12) but that didn't really get me anywhere? If I simplified it further, I ended up getting:

(2^6) = (100 + R)/(100)
R = 6200?


Thanks


1. You can answer this yourself if you try simpler numbers.

2. Your simplification there is not correct. Do not understand what you've done. Also, why do you need to solve for r?
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis ; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) ; 12. Tricky questions from previous years.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 29205
Followers: 4750

Kudos [?]: 50256 [0], given: 7540

Re: An investment of $1000 was made in a certain account and ear [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2014, 03:01
Expert's post
bankerboy30 wrote:
Bunuel following that same logic: if I put 1000 into an account with 100% interest in year 1 I will get 2000, year 2 4000 year 3 8000. So I increased my investment eight fold in three years. Now if I want my investment to go to double to 16,000 it would take one more year. But according to what has been said above 3/4 would be the answer. Are you counting the initial deposit as year 1?


At the rate of 100% (*2) the investment increases 8 times in 3 years.
In 3 years the investment increases 2*2*2 = 8 times (from $1,000 to $8,000). The doubling period is 1 year.
Thus, at the same rate compounded annually, it would need additional 3/3 = 1 year to double (from $8,000 to $16,000).
Therefore, 3+1=4 years are needed $1,000 to increase to $16,000.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis ; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) ; 12. Tricky questions from previous years.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Jan 2015
Posts: 8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 50

Re: An investment of $1000 was made in a certain account and ear [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2015, 05:04
shanmugamgsn wrote:
Vips0000 wrote:
anon1 wrote:
An investment of $1000 was made in a certain account and earned interest that was compounded annually. The annual interest rate was fixed for the duration of the investment, and after 12 years the $1000 increased to $4000 by earning interest. In how many years after the initial investment was made the $1000 have increased to $8000 by earning interest at that rate?

A. 16
B. 18
C. 20
D. 24
E. 30

I have the solution presented by GMAT prep but it is not the way I like to do it. My strategy would simply be to find the interest rate. And then work backwards from the solutions to get the answer (an interest of 7000, or total of 8000).

But I'm having trouble calculating the rate here?

Can anyone help?

in 12 years he made 3000 in interest. So shouldn't it be 1000(r/100)^12 = 3000 ?? then solve for r ?

I keep getting a number in the 30s, or 36.... ugh.


Its actually an easier question with a simpler approach.

Amount 1000 is invested for 12 yrs and yields 4000. Amount is compounded annually.
we need number of years it will take to yield 8000.

from 1000 to 4000 = 4 times
from 4000 to 8000 = 2 times.

if compounding is happening at same rate throughout, then
since, time required for 4 times = 12 yrs
=>time required for 2 times = 6 yrs

Total time from initial = 12+6 = 18 yrs
Ans B.


Hey Vips,

I tried to figure out

from 1000 to 4000 = 4 times
from 4000 to 8000 = 2 times.

But couldn't :(

You mean 1000 to 4000 = 4*1000
4000 to 8000 = 2 *2000

If so how u took first as 1000 and next as 2000 ..... Or any other logic?

Can you brief it plzzz... !!!


We can solve this another way-

The amount 1000 quadrupled in 12 years- that means the investment increased by 1/3rd (4/12) each year.

Thus to increase the investment by 2 more times ( 1/3 a year + 1/3+ 1/3+ 1/3 + 1/3 + 1/3) it will take 6 years.

12+ 6 = 18 years!
Re: An investment of $1000 was made in a certain account and ear   [#permalink] 21 Mar 2015, 05:04
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
11 Experts publish their posts in the topic Diana invested $61,293 in an account with a fixed annual enigma123 10 11 Mar 2014, 02:25
7 Experts publish their posts in the topic Peter invests $100,000 in an account that pays 12% guerrero25 9 21 Feb 2014, 06:11
9 Experts publish their posts in the topic Jill invests $10000 in an account that pays an annual rate mikemcgarry 7 24 Jan 2013, 17:09
12 Experts publish their posts in the topic On a certain day, Tim invested $1,000 at 10 percent annual siddhans 11 21 Jul 2011, 02:23
21 Experts publish their posts in the topic Donald plans to invest x dollars in a savings account that TheRob 15 19 Aug 2009, 05:44
Display posts from previous: Sort by

An investment of $1000 was made in a certain account and ear

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.