Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:14 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
WE:Sales (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
Re: An MBA program with a strong healthcare focus [#permalink]
Someone in another forum on gmatclub had a similar question about healthcare mba programs. you may want to check it out: non-traditional-candidate-review-139806.html?hilit=healthcare#p1127671
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
I am a doc going into business. I have been looking for healthcare MBAs and been investigating thoroughly. Your very own UNC is one of the best out there. The Health Care and Entrepreneurship are both fantastic, well thought out, focus tracks. I have personally been impressed with Owen (Vanderbilt) as they have a strong focus in health care and a great fleshed out program (plus health care specific scholarships). Johnson (Cornell) gives you the option of an MHA or taking up to 25% of your hours for your MBA in the other school (Sloan). Tepper has an affiliation with the Heinz college that can provide great health care analytics and a highly quantitative curriculum. Duke and UPenn don't really need to be mentioned, because both are fantastic and have great programs. Duke has a weighty certificate program. Check Wharton's course catalog, they have fantastic Health Care options at the MBA school, plus affiliation with the Leonard Davis Institute for Health Care Economics. That's kind of a down and dirty look into the programs from a healthcare perspective. However, plenty of programs are shifting to add this focus, for example Darden has four very good electives now, but many school are adding it, so by the time you're applying there may be mroe programs in abundance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Simon Business School - Class of 2012
GPA: 3.91
WE:Editorial and Writing (Journalism and Publishing)
Send PM
Simon Business School offers a program in healthcare management. They are a top-tier school (but not top 15 in healthcare at the moment). They also have an "Early Leaders" program where they admit a large number of students directly out of undergrad with little or no work experience. This could be a school for you to look into.
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Expert Reply
tarheels23 wrote:
Hey everyone,
From one TarHeel to another- Go Heels! And I imagine since this was long ago you are now off doing great things in healthcare. But since the topic was re-visited here there's a chance to mention some thoughts for those looking at MBAs with a healthcare focus. One strategy is to look at cities with strong healthcare such as Boston, Chicago, RTP and then look at MBA offerings there- so obviously with Boston you have HBS and MIT and both have some good programs there- Kellogg and Booth offer some good resources. For example Kellogg has a Health Enterprise management pathway: https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/pro ... thway.aspx and Booth offers some flexible options about how you can add healthcare specificity to the MBA experience: https://www.chicagobooth.edu/programs/f ... healthcare and there are also some very strong resources in your backyard of RTP with both UNC Kenan-Flagler offering a concentration and Fuqua offering the HSM option. Really all the top MBA programs have solid offerings here and I am leaving out Philadelphia but Wharton also very strong here so I encourage people interested in healthcare to do their research to learn about the ever-expanding healthcare options offered by MBA programs. For those looking for some personalized guidance on this-
we have some consultants at Stratus with good knowledge of healthcare MBA offerings so to engage us to learn more reach out to this link for a free consult: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/

I'm about to graduate from undergrad and I was looking for some advice. I'm going into healthcare finance as a financial analyst (not a investment banker) at a big bank, which will involve financial analysis of hospitals and medical facilities, which includes analysis of liquidity, leverage, key risk factors, sources of repayment, cash flow, ability to service debt, etc.

The end goal is for me to attend a top 15 MBA program that will provide the necessary skills and recruiting to succeed in the healthcare industry. What programs should I start investigating? I would be open for joint MHA or MPH programs as well. Also, I was wondering, how many years do you recommend working. I know 2 years may be to little but I was planning on working 3-4 years. I will likely graduate with a 3.6 gpa, and will begin my GMAT studying in a few months. Will a 3.6 gpa, a 700+ GMAT, and my described work experience be competitive for top MBA programs? I see a lot of consultants and investment bankers at the top MBA programs, which worries me that I may not be competitive enough with my work experience. Any tips to help make me more competitive?

I value the advice of everyone here since they've been through the process, so thank you very much!
VP
VP
Status:Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Own Kudos [?]: 204 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Send PM
Hi,

Here are some of the top MBA programs for a career in healthcare management:

1) Cornell University - Executive MBA/MS in Healthcare Leadership
2) UNC Kenan Flagler
3) Virginia Darden
4) Wharton - MBA Healthcare Major
5) Rice University - MBA-Health Care Specialization
6) Michigan Ann Arbour - MBA-Healthcare Management Concentration
7) Emory MBA
8) Yale MBA
9) CMU Tepper - MBA Health Care Policy and Management
10) Columbia - MBA -Healthcare and Pharmaceutical Management

You will need to have at least 3+ years of decent work experience and a 700+ GMAT score. It's important to work on your motivations and career goals essays. You can consult with our senior admissions consultants and alumni team to evaluate your profile and chances in detail.

You can now find all the free resources for admissions on the Website or try the free tools below for a self-evaluation:
Intelligent B-School Selector Tool
Chances of B-school Selection
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1751
GPA: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
An MBA degree can help prepare you for various roles in the healthcare industry, from strategy to marketing, business development and more. An MBA program with a strong healthcare focus will provide students with both essential business and leadership skills needed for visible and challenging roles in the industry.
Here is a list of healthcare MBA programs: https://aringo.com/health-care-mba-programs/
GMAT Club Bot