Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 22:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

An MBA program with a strong healthcare focus

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

An MBA program with a strong healthcare focus [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2012, 11:08
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hey everyone,

I'm about to graduate from undergrad and I was looking for some advice. I'm going into healthcare finance as a financial analyst (not a investment banker) at a big bank, which will involve financial analysis of hospitals and medical facilities, which includes analysis of liquidity, leverage, key risk factors, sources of repayment, cash flow, ability to service debt, etc.

The end goal is for me to attend a top 15 MBA program that will provide the necessary skills and recruiting to succeed in the healthcare industry. What programs should I start investigating? I would be open for joint MHA or MPH programs as well. Also, I was wondering, how many years do you recommend working. I know 2 years may be to little but I was planning on working 3-4 years. I will likely graduate with a 3.6 gpa, and will begin my GMAT studying in a few months. Will a 3.6 gpa, a 700+ GMAT, and my described work experience be competitive for top MBA programs? I see a lot of consultants and investment bankers at the top MBA programs, which worries me that I may not be competitive enough with my work experience. Any tips to help make me more competitive?

I value the advice of everyone here since they've been through the process, so thank you very much!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: An MBA program with a strong healthcare focus [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2012, 17:54
Honestly, from a quick and rough glimpse at what you've wrote, you're definitely good enough for top 15 b-schools; however, lots will also come down to your work experience at the bank you mentioned, your letters of recommendation, your essays, as well as your extracurricular activities. View the application as a holistic process - not only does academics matter, you need to be able to communicate effectively and convince people of your core capabilities as well.

Tips to make you more competitive (and by no means is this be-all-end-all): start taking on some leadership roles both inside and outside of your professional career; initiate ideas and drive your points home; take these few years to explore what you really want to do (Why get MPH with an MBA? I'm not doubting your idea, but just be sure to know that for yourself the reasons you're wanting this dual degree); do well at work and build rapport with peers and supervisors. Other than that, pick up some extracurricular activities that interest you (if you have time). If you enjoy running, run some marathons and start a club; if you enjoy volunteering at shelters, do that - basically, find something that will say more than you're analytical and good at numbers (which schools will automatically know you're good at given your work experience).

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
WE: Sales (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 10

Re: An MBA program with a strong healthcare focus [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2012, 15:34
Harvard, Wharton, Berkeley Haas, UCLA Anderson, UNC, UMich Ross.........(not as highly ranked) Wake Forest, Vanderbilt, John Hopkins (mba not highly rank, mph is).

Also think about programs that have a great accompanying Med School. Organizing creative efforts between your business program and the med school can go a long way in the scheme of business school recruiting.....

Now that I'm done being objective.... UCLA has a fairly new initiative with the Business of Science Center that has added a new dynamic to the program and the type exposure and experiential learning that we receive. Having one of the best Med Schools/Business School on one campus gives us a lot of face to face time with companies and recruiters in all categories of healthcare: biotech, device, pharma, IB, consulting, etc. I'm not going to be silly, Harvard obviously has a higher ranked combo, but we are a small program so all of my classmates and I have NO SHORTAGE of face time influential people at most of the same companies.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q V0
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 27

Premium Member
Re: An MBA program with a strong healthcare focus [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2012, 19:14
Someone in another forum on gmatclub had a similar question about healthcare mba programs. you may want to check it out: non-traditional-candidate-review-139806.html?hilit=healthcare#p1127671
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 12

Re: An MBA program with a strong healthcare focus [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2012, 00:16
I am a doc going into business. I have been looking for healthcare MBAs and been investigating thoroughly. Your very own UNC is one of the best out there. The Health Care and Entrepreneurship are both fantastic, well thought out, focus tracks. I have personally been impressed with Owen (Vanderbilt) as they have a strong focus in health care and a great fleshed out program (plus health care specific scholarships). Johnson (Cornell) gives you the option of an MHA or taking up to 25% of your hours for your MBA in the other school (Sloan). Tepper has an affiliation with the Heinz college that can provide great health care analytics and a highly quantitative curriculum. Duke and UPenn don't really need to be mentioned, because both are fantastic and have great programs. Duke has a weighty certificate program. Check Wharton's course catalog, they have fantastic Health Care options at the MBA school, plus affiliation with the Leonard Davis Institute for Health Care Economics. That's kind of a down and dirty look into the programs from a healthcare perspective. However, plenty of programs are shifting to add this focus, for example Darden has four very good electives now, but many school are adding it, so by the time you're applying there may be mroe programs in abundance.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Simon Business School - Class of 2012
GPA: 3.91
WE: Editorial and Writing (Journalism and Publishing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: An MBA program with a strong healthcare focus [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2014, 09:36
Simon Business School offers a program in healthcare management. They are a top-tier school (but not top 15 in healthcare at the moment). They also have an "Early Leaders" program where they admit a large number of students directly out of undergrad with little or no work experience. This could be a school for you to look into.

Amy Cope
MBA - Marketing & Pricing, 2012

Re: An MBA program with a strong healthcare focus   [#permalink] 26 Jun 2014, 09:36