Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 07:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

An MM now or wait for real MBA??? PLEASE HELP

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

An MM now or wait for real MBA??? PLEASE HELP [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2012, 00:29
Hello,

I'm in a (possibly) unique situation. Do Help!

I've applied to both Fuqua's MMS program and the LBS MiM program. I've got admitted into the Fuqua one and have an interview with MiM (which I'm sure I'll crack). Here's where is my major dilemma. The job markets in finance are weird in India and undergrads (I know mine is a masters degree but it is for all intents and purposes an integrated undergrad course that I came to right after high school) are not taken into roles in the front office in finance, which is where I want to make a career for myself. Also moving internationally is not an option because of the stricter visa laws that have come into place and I've been trying like a fiend to get that international experience.

Essentially my problem of choice is that I stay back home (either get a job in finance or work for a startup handling business development and finance) and then apply again for an MBA a 3/4 years down the line. Or I take up the Fuqua program for a year, gain international experience and break into the US geography. If I do take the second option, it'll be purely for breaking into a new geography, getting practical academic exposure and getting a job. But there also is the fact that I'll already have two masters degrees (after the Fuqua degree) when/if I apply to B-school later and the possible overlap of curriculum with an MBA program, which might make it much more difficult to get into an MBA program later. I need help/advice/insights on how to proceed and what to do.

So my questions are essentially is the MM+4/5yrs of Work Ex+MBA (should I want to do one later on) is really that hard a sell? I'm guessing there'll be quite a few people like me from now/in the near future given that the more prestigious MM program (such as Fuqua MMS/LBS MiM) were started 3-4 years back. So realistically what are the chances if breaking in to a good MBA program with an MM in hand? And will international exposure gained from the pre-experience program be not worth it/won't be of value add?

I'd be grateful if you reply with your insights (I know it's a personal decision to make but want expert insights to ensure that I make the most informed choice)

Manoj
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 3

Re: An MM now or wait for real MBA??? PLEASE HELP [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2012, 07:40
Expert's post
You'd be better off long term focusing on your career and then going back for the MBA instead of dropping out of the workforce for a MIM now. You won't need both degrees, and the MIM could in some cases create problems for you when applying to MBA programs. Much more valuable to MBA programs to log an extra 18 mos or so of WE.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Re: An MM now or wait for real MBA??? PLEASE HELP [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2012, 14:46
Hi Bryant,

Thank you for getting back to me. I understand what you're saying. But I won't be dropping out of the work force I'll just continue with another year of studies. The MiM will, I believe, help me get a much better quality of work experience after graduation. But if it makes for a non-starter for an MBA program later on then, it's quite a bit of an opportunity cost. I'd like your thoughts on having two Masters degrees and then applying to an MBA program- will it make me look like a degree chaser? Or will explaining that it made perfect sense to take up the 2nd Masters program do should I choose to apply to an MBA program say 4/5 years after graduating from the MiM?

Thanks in advance,

Manoj
Expert Post

Re: An MM now or wait for real MBA??? PLEASE HELP [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2012, 16:44
Expert's post
It's not a problem to have multiple masters degrees and iit sounds like you have some strategic decisions for wanting to go ahead and get the MiM now and the MBA later. B-schools shouldn't hold it against you as long as you stick to a plan, but the best advantage you have is to reach out to Fuqua now that you have been admitted and run your long term plan by them, asking how they might evaluate you for their MBA program down the road. You can also consult with them on the curriculum of the two programs to target the ideal way to structure your classes so that they are not going to overlap, yet will give you what you need to achieve your short term goals.

Bryant Michaels

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Re: An MM now or wait for real MBA??? PLEASE HELP [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2012, 17:23
Hi Bryant,

That was a really quick response. Thanks :) And yes, there is a strategic play involved here in that I really think international experience would work so much better in my favour especially since I want to break into finance in a post crisis economy. And it will aid me later if I choose to come back home and/or start something of my own.

I did have a meet and greet with Steve when he was here in India and I did ask him about the what-if-I-want-to-do-an-MBA-later question. He said that the selection will still be cohort based but if I do make it in then any repetitions can be avoided by focusing more on electives and foregoing year 1 core courses if there is a large overlap in terms of coursework covered.

But then, there was a big IF looming over my head and so I reached out. Given this info (and your experience with admissions consulting), do you have any other insights?

Manoj
Expert Post

Re: An MM now or wait for real MBA??? PLEASE HELP [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2012, 14:07
Expert's post
Sounds like a plan. B-schools are all about what you bring to the table, so if you can convince them that the skills and knowledge you acquire in an MS program would be advantageous to your classmates, then you're set.

Bryant Michaels

Veritas Prep Reviews