Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 09:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

An MM now or wait for real MBA??? PLEASE HELP

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

An MM now or wait for real MBA??? PLEASE HELP [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2012, 00:30
Hello,

I'm in a (possibly) unique situation. Do Help!

I've applied to both Fuqua's MMS program and the LBS MiM program. I've got admitted into the Fuqua one and have an interview with MiM (which I'm sure I'll crack). Here's where is my major dilemma. The job markets in finance are weird in India and undergrads (I know mine is a masters degree but it is for all intents and purposes an integrated undergrad course that I came to right after high school) are not taken into roles in the front office in finance, which is where I want to make a career for myself. Also moving internationally is not an option because of the stricter visa laws that have come into place and I've been trying like a fiend to get that international experience.

Essentially my problem of choice is that I stay back home (either get a job in finance or work for a startup handling business development and finance) and then apply again for an MBA a 3/4 years down the line. Or I take up the Fuqua program for a year, gain international experience and break into the US geography. If I do take the second option, it'll be purely for breaking into a new geography, getting practical academic exposure and getting a job. But there also is the fact that I'll already have two masters degrees (after the Fuqua degree) and the possible overlap of curriculum with an MBA program, which might make it much more difficult to get into an MBA program later. I need help/advice/insights on how to proceed and what to do.

So my questions are essentially is the MM+4/5yrs of Work Ex+MBA (should I want to do one later on) is really that hard a sell? I'm guessing there'll be quite a few people like me from now/in the near future given that the more prestigious MM program (such as Fuqua MMS/LBS MiM) were started 3-4 years back. So realistically what are the chances if breaking in to a good MBA program with an MM in hand? And will international exposure gained from the pre-experience program be not worth it/won't be of value add?

I'd be grateful if you reply with your insights (I know it's a personal decision to make but want expert insights to ensure that I make the most informed choice)

Manoj
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 526 [0], given: 0

Re: An MM now or wait for real MBA??? PLEASE HELP [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2012, 09:46
What do you want to do ultimately - work in the US/Europe?

Do the MM now and it puts you in a position to work in the US/Europe after graduation.

It sounds like you're looking at the MBA as some end game, and it's not. What is more important for your career than a degree (MM or MBA) is getting the kind of work experience that you want in finance. Whether you get an MBA or not isn't as important. You now have that chance to move to the US, so you should take that opportunity now, which will allow you to work in the US sooner than later.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: An MM now or wait for real MBA??? PLEASE HELP [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2012, 14:42
Hi Alex,

Thank you for getting back to me. I do think that the US/Singapore/HK markets are the places where I want to work in finance for sometime to gain industry experience and international exposure that'll help me in the longer run- even to transition into starting something of my own. And the MiM now will help me get that. So I'm leaning toward going to Fuqua this summer.

I realise that an MBA is not an endgame but I just want to evaluate the opportunity costs of my decisions and so want to know if having two Masters will be a non-starter for me as the adcoms of top MBA programs will get the sense that I'm a degree chaser. It makes perfect practical sense to go for the 2nd one right now but will it hurt me in the long(er) run by negatively affecting my chances? Your thoughts will help a lot.

Thanks again,

Manoj
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 526 [0], given: 0

Re: An MM now or wait for real MBA??? PLEASE HELP [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2012, 22:29
It's not about getting masters degrees. It's about getting solid work experience sooner than later. The sooner you can be in a position to get great work experience, the better you will be in the long-term, because that's all that will matter ultimately.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: An MM now or wait for real MBA??? PLEASE HELP   [#permalink] 15 Mar 2012, 22:29