Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 12:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

An MM now or wait for real MBA??? PLEASE HELP

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

An MM now or wait for real MBA??? PLEASE HELP [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2012, 00:30
Hello,

I'm in a (possibly) unique situation. Do Help!

I've applied to both Fuqua's MMS program and the LBS MiM program. I've got admitted into the Fuqua one and have an interview with MiM (which I'm sure I'll crack). Here's where is my major dilemma. The job markets in finance are weird in India and undergrads (I know mine is a masters degree but it is for all intents and purposes an integrated undergrad course that I came to right after high school) are not taken into roles in the front office in finance, which is where I want to make a career for myself. Also moving internationally is not an option because of the stricter visa laws that have come into place and I've been trying like a fiend to get that international experience.

Essentially my problem of choice is that I stay back home (either get a job in finance or work for a startup handling business development and finance) and then apply again for an MBA a 3/4 years down the line. Or I take up the Fuqua program for a year, gain international experience and break into the US geography. If I do take the second option, it'll be purely for breaking into a new geography, getting practical academic exposure and getting a job. But there also is the fact that I'll already have two masters degrees (after the Fuqua degree) and the possible overlap of curriculum with an MBA program, which might make it much more difficult to get into an MBA program later. I need help/advice/insights on how to proceed and what to do.

So my questions are essentially is the MM+4/5yrs of Work Ex+MBA (should I want to do one later on) is really that hard a sell? I'm guessing there'll be quite a few people like me from now/in the near future given that the more prestigious MM program (such as Fuqua MMS/LBS MiM) were started 3-4 years back. So realistically what are the chances if breaking in to a good MBA program with an MM in hand? And will international exposure gained from the pre-experience program be not worth it/won't be of value add?

I'd be grateful if you reply with your insights (I know it's a personal decision to make but want expert insights to ensure that I make the most informed choice)

Manoj
mbaMission Admissions Consultant

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: An MM now or wait for real MBA??? PLEASE HELP [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2012, 03:41
Expert's post
Hi, MaverickMJ,

Congratulations on your acceptance! That is exciting. In terms of applying for your MBA after obtaining an MMS or MiM, you would need to clearly articulate why you need the additional Masters degree to pursue your desired career path. You would want to communicate what skills and experiences you already have (from MM and work experience) and what you still need to learn/experience from an MBA program to achieve your goals. Do you feel that there would be enough difference in the programs for you to do that?

Beyond that decision, it sounds like you need to better understand the progression of your desired career path. I would recommend that you speak with others who are in similar careers and ask about their career paths, education, etc. They may be able to provide insights if you need work experience or a Masters at this point.

Good luck!
Susan Kaplan
Senior Consultant
mbaMission
646-485-8844
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: An MM now or wait for real MBA??? PLEASE HELP [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2012, 14:38
Hi Susan,

Thanks much for your reply. It helped put things in perspective. I believe that an MM now will help me better in getting that career in finance going but I'm also worried that two Master's degrees will make me seem like a degree chaser to the top 10 MBA adcoms when (if) I choose to apply later on. I'd go ahead with the Fuqua option if I know for sure that the fact that I have 2 Masters won't become a non-starter while applying to an MBA program later on. I'd like to know your thoughts on that assuming career progression and increased responsibilities.

Thanks in advance, again,

Manoj
mbaMission Admissions Consultant

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: An MM now or wait for real MBA??? PLEASE HELP [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2012, 02:51
Expert's post
Hi, Manoj,

Have you thought through why you would need an MBA after an MM and years of work experience? Think about what you will learn in an MM and what experiences you will gain in your career progression pre-MBA. Then identify what you will need to be able to do to pursue your longer term career goals. What is the gap there? Do you need an MBA to fill the gap? As you mentioned, you need to be able to demonstrate a clear reason why you will need the second degree. Have you had a chance to talk with others in the industry to get a better understanding of the need for an MM to break into finance and/or an MBA later in your career to achieve your specific goals? That would be a smart first step for you to make sure you are pursuing the right educational path.

Susan
Senior Consultant
mbaMission
646-485-8844